ESPN ranks the 65 P5 jobs | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN ranks the 65 P5 jobs

geography not the writer's strong suit

i can't wait to rent a beach house to watch a clemson game

My brother SC_Orangeneck rents his out at Myrtle Beach if you are interested.:)

I would put us in the 40's. Millhouse has done a good job debunking a lot of the stupidity.
Our biggest problem IMO is that NYS is a basketball recruiting state and not a football recruiting state.
If NYS HSFB gets to the level of PA and NJ our program will reap those rewards.

We're talking about HC jobs here. Access or proximity to an ocean is a stupid topic to bring up and irrelevant. Do all the Big 12 teams get dinged too because they only have 10 teams in their conference?

I think 40's is realistic. We're going to be behind every P5 southern school because they have a much closer proximity to fertile recruiting grounds and better weather, and those are two things that make a HC's job easier. And generally the P5 southern schools pay better as well.

We would rate well against other Northeast/Northern teams because we all have the same challenges for the most part and the Midwest and Pacific Northwest teams.

I wish there was some way to turn the Dome in to a positive.

beating-a-dead-horse.jpg
That is a very sweet photoshop!

If the season "typically" ends around Thanksgiving, the writer surely hasn't been in upstate NY to see the mounds of snow that sometimes can fall before then. Snow in October isn't even unusual.
I don't know, but I think the point from the writer was that snow in October and even November usually doesn't last long-term so the truly gray dirty snow typically hits in December.

Just for kicks here are the schools I think are not better jobs than SU: BC, Kansas, Iowa St, Rutgers, Indiana, Northwestern, Oregon St, Washington St, Utah, Vanderbilt, Kentucky. I haven't seen that list but that puts us about 54th. The only thing really important is being one of the 65. That has you in the game.

We're talking about HC jobs here. Access or proximity to an ocean is a stupid topic to bring up and irrelevant. Do all the Big 12 teams get dinged too because they only have 10 teams in their conference?

I think 40's is realistic. We're going to be behind every P5 southern school because they have a much closer proximity to fertile recruiting grounds and better weather, and those are two things that make a HC's job easier. And generally the P5 southern schools pay better as well.

We would rate well against other Northeast/Northern teams because we all have the same challenges for the most part and the Midwest and Pacific Northwest teams.
Made me smile.

Just for kicks here are the schools I think are not better jobs than SU: BC, Kansas, Iowa St, Rutgers, Indiana, Northwestern, Oregon St, Washington St, Utah, Vanderbilt, Kentucky. I haven't seen that list but that puts us about 54th. The only thing really important is being one of the 65. That has you in the game.
You can put colorado in there, i think, at least for the time being. Wake forest too

You can put colorado in there, i think, at least for the time being. Wake forest too
Yeah I don't know why I didn't put Wake there. I kind of look at them like I do Vandy. I think I disagree about Colorado though. When I look at all the criteria in my head SU gets the check box in almost every category but for soem reason I just think Colorado SHOULD be a better job. Don't know why. Maybe its the old deadhead in me coming through. Boulder reminds me a lot of Berkeley. Which is another program that SU has mostly outperformed historically but I don't think it should.

can someone just the list 1-65??

thanks
They have only listed the first 18.

65) Wake Forest
64) Iowa State
63) Kansas
62) Washington State
61) Purdue
60) Indiana
59) Vanderbilt
58) Duke
57) Syracuse
55 tie) Boston College
55 tie) Colorado
54) Northwestern
53) Rutgers
52) Kansas State
51) Virginia
50) Oregon State
48 tie) Minnesota
48 tie) Illinois

The central question: If every Power 5 job came open tomorrow, which would be the most desirable? Which would be least appealing? And where does your team fall?

Though each person weighs things differently -- that's why it's such a subjective, hot-button topic for debate -- the criteria is roughly the same. It includes factors such as location, administrative stability, support from that administration, facilities, recruiting base, path to conference titles/playoff, sense of tradition, fervor of the fan base, too much fervor from the fan base ...

What about Minnesota? And Maryland may be in a good area for recruiting but the school could care less about football and battles with the pro market for attention. Everyone that goes there to coach thinks its something it isnt.

They have only listed the first 18.

65) Wake Forest
64) Iowa State
63) Kansas
62) Washington State
61) Purdue
60) Indiana
59) Vanderbilt
58) Duke
57) Syracuse
55 tie) Boston College
55 tie) Colorado
54) Northwestern
53) Rutgers
52) Kansas State
51) Virginia
50) Oregon State
48 tie) Minnesota
48 tie) Illinois

The central question: If every Power 5 job came open tomorrow, which would be the most desirable? Which would be least appealing? And where does your team fall?

Though each person weighs things differently -- that's why it's such a subjective, hot-button topic for debate -- the criteria is roughly the same. It includes factors such as location, administrative stability, support from that administration, facilities, recruiting base, path to conference titles/playoff, sense of tradition, fervor of the fan base, too much fervor from the fan base ...
looking at the list so far then, id toss colorado, ore st, minny and maybe illinois behind us.

actually...add kstate too. we saw what happens when snyder leaves.

so i guess thats #53, maybe #52.

Virginia is way too low at 51. They have access to good HSFB and beautiful campus. I would think they would be top 30. Offer me Mississippi State, Maryland, Pitt or Virginia I am taking UVA first no doubt.

I hate lists because they mean nothing other than what was important to the the writer of such list. It's one thing to write a scathing article about something because you at least have to provide some valid data to back up your opinion. Where by writing up a list of your perceived opinion doesn't require much research other than what the writer has already skewed in his/her tiny brain.

I hate lists because they mean nothing other than what was important to the the writer of such list. It's one thing to write a scathing article about something because you at least have to provide some valid data to back up your opinion. Where by writing up a list of your perceived opinion doesn't require much research other than what the writer has already skewed in his/her tiny brain.
That conversation stuck with me: Why not create a ranking system of every Power 5 job? I enlisted four ESPN colleagues -- Chris Low, Brett McMurphy, Adam Rittenberg and Mark Schlabach -- to help poll coaches and industry sources and provide their insight.

We hope and believe we have provided an intelligent and accurate overview of the Power 5 jobs in college football, from worst to best.

According to the writer, there was a lot of research that went into this. The opinions aren't his. They are the opinions of the coaches he polled. He just provides context for each location.

does florida have better weather than NY? most of boht states dont even go outside for 3-4 months just for different reasons in either place and while people like warm weather , its more comfortable in ny most of the year.

That conversation stuck with me: Why not create a ranking system of every Power 5 job? I enlisted four ESPN colleagues -- Chris Low, Brett McMurphy, Adam Rittenberg and Mark Schlabach -- to help poll coaches and industry sources and provide their insight.

We hope and believe we have provided an intelligent and accurate overview of the Power 5 jobs in college football, from worst to best.

According to the writer, there was a lot of research that went into this. The opinions aren't his. They are the opinions of the coaches he polled. He just provides context for each location.
Ok, but didn't the writer choose the people to poll and the questions he wanted to ask? He had an idea of what he wanted to write about and you can't tell me he was completely subjective to what the final outcome was going to be. But that's just my opinion

Live in Hampstead, just north of the county line for Wilmington, and work at Lejeune. After 5 years in Fayetteville, NC, I refused on principal to live in a military town.
We just bid on a short sale in Mayfaire. Hope to spend more time on the coast.

does florida have better weather than NY? most of boht states dont even go outside for 3-4 months just for different reasons in either place and while people like warm weather , its more comfortable in ny most of the year.
I love warm weather. I also love weather where I don't have to worry about boarding up my windows and making a beeline out of town. Everybody no matter where you live takes their lumps in one way or another

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom