ESPN recruiting rankings | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN recruiting rankings

To me the big question is how good do we think Strickland can be? He's managing what Babers wants from the position the best among what's in the roster, but I wouldn't say he's shining. Can he in the future? It's not crazy to believe he can improve a lot.

You know who I keep thinking would have been awesome in this offense? Ant Bailey. I just feel like he would have been incredible in this scheme.

Bailey was meh.

Carter, Smith, PTG would be great in this system in their own way. Rhodes would be Strikland only faster and bigger.

Totally disagree. I think that's a lazy approach. Sure anyone can carry the ball, but the truly good RB's are the one's who have the instincts for the positions. You just can't assume that guys have the quick feet, cutting ability, vision, patience and feel just because they have good size and can run. They may do ok, but unless you are a true RB you can never be elite.

imo we need to go after a couple stud RB's this class.

My point is, what is a stud rb these days? Rb has been devalued at the college and nfl level the last 4-6 years. Its all about ball security, picking up blitzes, and reading what the oline gives. How many big runs do you see from rbs on sat and sun? There are a few elite rbs like bell on the steelers. Many teams like the pats and broncos have been inserting rbs into systems with success for years.

If you go back and read the pre-season evaluations, most posters thought we were set at RB. The RB position was going to be one of our strengths.

I don't think the oline has run blocked all that well, and not using Frederick is seriously puzzling.

Bailey was meh.

Carter, Smith, PTG would be great in this system in their own way. Rhodes would be Strikland only faster and bigger.
Carter and Smith would have struggled with going out for passes. PTG would have been good.

I think Ant was really underrated. Best dual threat back we've ever had.

I really don't think we need a 5th year RB. It's about the o-line this year, not a real lack of talent at RB. We're more of a passing team now anyways. RBs in this system serve as great complements, but that's about it IMHO.

As these younger kids continue to develop, this is spot on. An OT and a legit lockdown CB. They are a dime a dozen.

We really need a jumbo back with some pass catching skills.

Totally disagree. I think that's a lazy approach. Sure anyone can carry the ball, but the truly good RB's are the one's who have the instincts for the positions. You just can't assume that guys have the quick feet, cutting ability, vision, patience and feel just because they have good size and can run. They may do ok, but unless you are a true RB you can never be elite.

imo we need to go after a couple stud RB's this class.
Maybe a JUCO TE.

We don't need a giant power back. We need a dynamic agile RB who has great vision and wiggle and ankle breaking cutting ability.

Bowling Green's two backs last year (who produced nearly 2,200 yards rushing) were

Travis Green - 5' 10 190
and
Fred Coppet 5'9 205

Strickland and Neal are just not that good right now. They lack vision and both get armed tackled pretty easily. Neal isn't ready period. They'd probably both be better if they had some room to run. Lot's of tackles by the DLine and not the linebackers on these two.

Would really love to see what Jordan can do with a few meaningful carries. I'll trust Dino but I'm hoping Jordan gets with whatever program he needs to get with and tears up spring ball. The best thing for Syracuse next year at the RB spot is Jordan solidifying the #1 spot.

Our biggest needs are Defensive backs, ready to play thus JUCO DEs, and then go for whatever you want on offense.
I think we can survive with the RBs we have now. We could always use OL as well.

Assuming everything sticks (grades/flips) we have 5 spots left. 4 if safety Pierre makes it.

We have:

5 WR

1 TE

1 QB

1 OL

3 LB

1 DT

2 DE

2 DB

1 RB (who’s best position may be DB)

We are clearly pursuing TEs, DEs and DTs which sounds about right where the need is. (1) TE, (3) DE/DT; plus heavily involved with an OT.

We all expect to take a full 25 kids with means anywhere from 4 to 7 openings.

Remember we have 4 OL redshirting right now.

if we can create this much offense with at times not even good oline play thats a great sign for the future. many of the oline issues are still mental and not physical mistakes. next year we have another set of bodies to throw at the issue that are young even if we RS who ever we bring in this year. we need WRs who can make plays and the better the oline plays the less dynamic the RB needs to be.

We don't need a giant power back. We need a dynamic agile RB who has great vision and wiggle and ankle breaking cutting ability.

Always should have a guy who can get you the tough yard in the Red Zone. Someone like Adonis Ameen-Moore...

Assuming everything sticks (grades/flips) we have 5 spots left. 4 if safety Pierre makes it.

We have:

5 WR

1 TE

1 QB

1 OL

3 LB

1 DT

2 DE

2 DB

1 RB (who’s best position may be DB)

We are clearly pursuing TEs, DEs and DTs which sounds about right where the need is. (1) TE, (3) DE/DT; plus heavily involved with an OT.

We all expect to take a full 25 kids with means anywhere from 4 to 7 openings.

Remember we have 4 OL redshirting right now.

We have 2 OL -- Dakota Davis, and Patrick Davis from Canada.

Always should have a guy who can get you the tough yard in the Red Zone. Someone like Adonis Ameen-Moore...

not in my opinion. scholarships are valuable, you're every down back should be able to punch it in.

Carter and Smith would have struggled with going out for passes. PTG would have been good.

I think Ant was really underrated. Best dual threat back we've ever had.
Strickland missed a few blocks on Saturday,we not only need a RB who can run, but block, and catch passes. Said before a player like Rob Konrad, or Daryl Johnston. is the type of back for this system.

not in my opinion. scholarships are valuable, you're every down back should be able to punch it in.

Grammar is even more valuable. ;)

Strickland missed a few blocks on Saturday,we not only need a RB who can run, but block, and catch passes. Said before a player like Rob Konrad, or Daryl Johnston. is the type of back for this system.
I mean sure, if we can have basically Pro Bowl caliber fullbacks lining up at RB I'll take it, but I think we can have good results a tier or two below that. ;)

I mean sure, if we can have basically Pro Bowl caliber fullbacks lining up at RB I'll take it, but I think we can have good results a tier or two below that. ;)
The 2 players who played with Moose would fit that criteria, Rob Drummond, and Michael Owens maybe not as good blockers, but runners, and pass receivers.

My point is, what is a stud rb these days? Rb has been devalued at the college and nfl level the last 4-6 years. Its all about ball secu,rity, picking up blitzes, and reading what the oline gives. How many big runs do you see from rbs on sat and sun? There are a few elite rbs like bell on the steelers. Many teams like the pats and broncos have been inserting rbs into systems with success for years.

Stud RB's as in Leonard Fournette, James Connor, Nick Chubb (pre-injury), Marlon Mack, Samjae Perine, Joe Mixon, Jalen Hurd. Those guys are game changers at the college level. A perfect example of a "true RB" is Saquon Barkley. He isn't a Fournette type of freak who is just going to out physical you from the go. He is a smaller back, but has everything you want in a RB. You look at a guy like Barkley and you know he's a RB and nothing else. Then there are pro's like Gurley, Zeke, Bell, Johnson, Forte, Foster, Blount, McCoy, Murray, Hyde, Ajayi, Howard, etc on the NFL level. I think you are really devaluing the position.

Stud RB's as in Leonard Fournette, James Connor, Nick Chubb (pre-injury), Marlon Mack, Samjae Perine, Joe Mixon, Jalen Hurd. Those guys are game changers at the college level. A perfect example of a "true RB" is Saquon Barkley. He isn't a Fournette type of freak who is just going to out physical you from the go. He is a smaller back, but has everything you want in a RB. You look at a guy like Barkley and you know he's a RB and nothing else. Then there are pro's like Gurley, Zeke, Bell, Johnson, Forte, Foster, Blount, McCoy, Murray, Hyde, Ajayi, Howard, etc on the NFL level. I think you are really devaluing the position.

All good citations and i get it. However, there has been a devaluing of the rb position for about 8-10 years and now teams are realizing that the same thing is happening at the wr position. N9 need to dump a boat load of $$$ into these positions. Systems win, not players. The pats prove that. Its all on the qb and the oline. The rest will fall in place with guys that understand the system. The lions are a better offense without Megatron and the vikings arent missing Peterson. Pay your qb, lt, and oline.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom