ESPN reporting... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN reporting...

BTW RF, Miami placed themselves on a 2 year bowl ban NOT 1 year. and in fact that self-imposed ban prevented the Canes from playing in 2012 ACC title game. Miami also did lose some scholarships. Miami by self imposing those 2 bowl bans lessened the blow when they went in front of the NCAA.

All Syracuse needs to fight is a postseason ban. They can take 1 or 2 scholarship hit for a few years and we should be able to get 7-8 players from 10 scholarship players.

miami also got off easy because the ncaa botched the investigation. it paid some convict to provide testimony against it.

Hopefully it will be a slap on the wrist and I wont be shocked at anything less than a two year postseason ban.

You know how unlikely a 2 year postseason ban is, considering everything and what others have been hit with and the current state of the NCAA.

If I had to predict which i hate doing cause I don't know anything or pretend to know anything. I would be prepared for vacated wins, 1 or 2 scholarships, 1 postseason ban. Or some combination.

You know how unlikely a 2 year postseason ban is, considering everything and what others have been hit with and the current state of the NCAA.

If I had to predict which i hate doing cause I don't know anything or pretend to know anything. I would be prepared for vacated wins, 1 or 2 scholarships, 1 postseason ban. Or some combination.

I agree. Penn State basically got a 2 year ban. The idea that we would be equal to that is just really hard to fathom.

I just hope this doesn't turn into a dumpster fire that Boeheim will leave Hop with. Boeheim might just get fed up with the BS and bounce, which would hurt the program more than the sanctions. Sanctions can be weathered when you have a HOF coach. It's a different story when you're getting hit with sanctions and the HOF coach leaves.

I don't think Boeheim would do something like that, but I just don't like the possibility.

Well I think the fact that Melo was suspended for the Tourney could end up being a blessing as far the investigation goes. Its a pretty big hit for a team to take and could be argued as a "penalty" Syracuse already received.

Yeah you would think we were on the right track and they would stop fishing for things from 5-10 years ago. I don't get why they are lookign back further then 3 years, it makes it sound like they want to find something wrong with OUR program specificly out of the blue and will do everyting they can to go after US, not as a example but just to harrass us. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Last edited:
Yeah if that came because of the ncaa you would think we were on the right track adn would stop fishing for things from 5-10 years ago, where we didn't even have a final four run. I don't get why they are lookign back further then 3 years, it makes it sound like they want to find somethign wrong with OUR program specificly out of the bue and will do everyting they can to. it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

I get why--because they didn't uncover anything that was a significant enough infraction, so they continued to dig.

Their approach is interesting here--they are looking to string together a bunch of relatively minor infractions to make the case that collectively they signify lack of institutional control. In other words, 1+1 = 3

Would they do that to any other big state school from a power conference? I find it nearly impossible to believe they would honestly.

miami also got off easy because the ncaa botched the investigation. it paid some convict to provide testimony against it.
The NCAA definitely botched the investigation, but Miami still had a 2 year self-imposed bowl ban and the NCAA accepted that penalty and dished out no more.

The NCAA definitely botched the investigation, but Miami still had a 2 year self-imposed bowl ban and the NCAA accepted that penalty and dished out no more.

And if we use the magnitude of their infractions as a baseline, it is unlikely that what they've uncovered at SU even comes close.

Would they do that to any other big state school from a power conference? I find it nearly impossible to believe they would honestly.

Irrelevant, in my opinion. We opened the gate with the crap that happened with Fab, which enabled them to look under the rocks for muck. If we hadn't given them that opening, they wouldn't have investigated.

I don't think this has been mentioned, but another penalty possibility is an NCAA imposed suspension of JB. That is supposed to be a major component of the newly adopted (Aug. '13) Infractions and Sanctions Structure. Suspensions of from 10% up to a full season are on the table in appropriate circumstances.

That said, everyone is behaving like a bunch of Chicken Littles. Without knowing exactly what SU is accused of it is hard to know what its level of culpability is and how that might translate to penalties.

The ESPN article is bullspit. It really says nothing other than the infractions that the committee will be reviewing come from a 10 year period. It could mean one infraction in 2003 and a wholly different one in 2013, it don't think it necessarily means a continued pattern of infractions over a 10 year period. If ESPN knew that to be the case they would most certainly emphasize that fact in their article. Further while they say that allegations of receiving improper benefits are among the allegations, but that may be one minor not particularly supportable allegation among others that are more clearly the focus of the upcoming hearing.

I want to emphasize that none of what we have seen reports any specifics. In the absence of specifics it is really hard to draw conclusions about what type of penalty SU should receive, much less whether it should even be subject to penalties.

There may be a couple of posters here that have more information than what it is being reported in the media, but I haven't seen anyone say that their comments are based on independent knowledge and given the stakes I suspect there isn't a lot of information freely floating around.

See I think you are on to something. I said it before in another thread. But the timing of JB's book seems odd. Like a memoir before he's done. The comment about a silent recruit and the fact that Hop did a 180 this offseason on his search.

Just conspiracy theory - but hey. If people can use sources we can use conspiracy

RF2044 said:
Irrelevant, in my opinion. We opened the gate with the crap that happened with Fab, which enabled them to look under the rocks for muck. If we hadn't given them that opening, they wouldn't have investigated.
The crap that happened with Fine is what opened the gates.

The crap that happened with Fine is what opened the gates.

I didn't even want to bring up he-who-should-not-be-named, but not exactly.

That wasn't an NCAA issue, it was a legal issue. It may have been the impetus for them to want to come after us, but it was the Fab situation that opened the door.

Last edited:
I didn't even want to bring up he-who-should-not-be-named, but yup.

What does Lord Voldermort have to do with all of this? The NCAA's tentacles really have tremendous reach, if they are investigating the wizarding world.

BECAUSE of the botched investigation...

This is a makeup call, of sorts, for the Fine situation.

I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but that's the conclusion I drew when I awoke this morning.

Honest question I can't look up right now but has any school gone before the committee on infractions like we are on October 30-31st and not been penalized in way shape or form? I am asking are we are already guilty of something now and this hearing will determine the penalties. These are the important questions.

Being nailed with a worst case scenario a 1 year post season ban and a couple of lost scholarships won't kill the program. With the Dome/Melo Center and our location it won't keep us down more than 1-2 years unlike in the past because of our P5 status. The anticipation is always worse than the actual sentence.

Honest question I can't look up right now but has any school gone before the committee on infractions like we are on October 30-31st and not been penalized in way shape or form? I am asking are we are already guilty of something now and this hearing will determine the penalties. These are the important questions.

Being nailed with a worst case scenario a 1 year post season ban and a couple of lost scholarships won't kill the program. With the Dome/Melo Center and our location it won't keep us down more than 1-2 years unlike in the past because of our P5 status. The anticipation is always worse than the actual sentence.

Even this scenario could impact our stellar 2015 recruiting class, so that impact would still be very significant. Those guys are only verbal commits right now.

BECAUSE of the botched investigation...
Who the F cares. The NCAA was going to nail Miami with a penalty in the end. The NCAA did some shady stuff in that case, but Miami was still scared enough to penalize themselves and the NCAA accepted that punishment. If Miami didn't self impose a 2 year bowl ban I doubt even with the botched investigation the Canes would have avoided a bowl ban. Vince Wolfork refused to meet with NCAA officials the NCAA took that as an admission of guilt in their findings. The NCAA screwed that case up so bad but its not like the Canes didn't get punished. They were just lucky Mr. Magoo was running the investigation for the NCAA and the hammer wasn't dropped.

Alsacs said:
Honest question I can't look up right now but has any school gone before the committee on infractions like we are on October 30-31st and not been penalized in way shape or form? I am asking are we are already guilty of something now and this hearing will determine the penalties. These are the important questions. Being nailed with a worst case scenario a 1 year post season ban and a couple of lost scholarships won't kill the program. With the Dome/Melo Center and our location it won't keep us down more than 1-2 years unlike in the past because of our P5 status. The anticipation is always worse than the actual sentence.

I'm getting too old for this. I'm ready for another Final 4 run, maybe another NC, not a postseason ban and loss of scholarships.

This whole routine lately, from Fine to Fab to Southerland, is getting really old.

Even this scenario could impact our stellar 2015 recruiting class, so that impact would still be very significant. Those guys are only verbal commits right now.
I have faith in JB/MH to keep most of that class together. If we lose a scholarship for 2015 then obviously the school would have to do the right thing and release all of the commits and let them decide what they want. Our program is to strong with facilties/fanbase/location/conference to be down for more than a 1 or 2. If we only have 10-11 scholarships for 203 years it won't kill us as JB typically factors in early departures and has 1 or 2 walkons on scholarship.

I have faith in JB/MH to keep most of that class together. If we lose a scholarship for 2015 then obviously the school would have to do the right thing and release all of the commits and let them decide what they want. Our program is to strong with facilties/fanbase/location/conference to be down for more than a 1 or 2. If we only have 10-11 scholarships for 203 years it won't kill us as JB typically factors in early departures and has 1 or 2 walkons on scholarship.

I believe it would affect scholarships, Not Already awarded.

2016, 2017, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom