ESPN reporting... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN reporting...

I have faith in JB/MH to keep most of that class together. If we lose a scholarship for 2015 then obviously the school would have to do the right thing and release all of the commits and let them decide what they want. Our program is to strong with facilties/fanbase/location/conference to be down for more than a 1 or 2. If we only have 10-11 scholarships for 203 years it won't kill us as JB typically factors in early departures and has 1 or 2 walkons on scholarship.

There's nothing to "release" them from at this stage. They are only verbal commitments. Until they sign their LOI's in November, they aren't bound to come here and could change their mind at any time.

All I see right now is a lot of smoke.. but little fire. We know about Fab and he didn't play in the tourney. We know about Dirty.. and he sat out for a period of time as well. Both of those times it was unclear in the public eye as to how much the NCAA was involved vs it being an SU issue. We knew about the incidents with Devo and then the accusation of Flynn/Scoop etc. Those were investigated and handled. So outside of a very large ambiguous cloud of smoke I don't see how the NCAA can truly latch on. Sounds more like a congressional hearing based upon perceptions vs hard evidence. Its not like UNC where there are clear cut evidence back accusations where a huge cover up existed. Until there is more here than just a bunch of smoke I don't buy any penalties being necessary.

Yeah, but the 2015 recruits have not been awarded scholarships. They haven't signed their LOI's yet.

Point is. I don't think if it came to scholarships losses would affect 2015, it would affect 2016.

Anyway we don't even know what will come/if anything.

No need to get worked up at this point.

This is a makeup call, of sorts, for the Fine situation.

I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but that's the conclusion I drew when I awoke this morning.

Lol nothing would surprise me regarding the NCAA. Not even if they have a magic 8 ball in the hearing room.

the recruits could also sign their grant and aid paper but not loi that binds them to the school

I believe it would affect scholarships, Not Already awarded.
2014-2015 roster
1 Senior
Rak Christmas
2 Red Shirt Juniors
Trevor Cooney and Michael Gbinjie
1 Junior
Dejuan Coleman
4 Sophomores
BJ Johnson
Tyler Roberson
Ron Patterson
Chino Obokoh
2 Freshman
Kaleb Joseph
Chris McCollough

Unless I am missing somebody that is 10 scholarship players
We have 4 recruits for 2015. I don't follow recruiting that much
Malachi Richardson, ;Moustapha Diagne, Tyler Lydon, and Frank Howard.

If the NCAA dings a loss of scholarship since we only have 10 right now I believe we can accept that punishment this year. We did that a couple of years ago with the APR case. Worst case scenario JB has to Calhoun one of the players on scholarship now out of the program.

Point is. I don't think if it came to scholarships losses would affect 2015, it would affect 2016.

Anyway we don't even know what will come/if anything.

No need to get worked up.

I think this brings up a huge point.: SU officials should also try to negotiate any loss of schollies be done in 2016 and beyond. Obviously, we really can't call the shots but if we could push any schollie loss to 2016 that would be preferable, considering what we have lined up with recruiting for 2015. We only have the Moyer verbal in 2016 so if we only have a one commit class in 2016 that would be preferable to losing 2015 commit(s) and the chance for Bryant.

I just don't know how much negotiating power we will have.

Without knowing exactly what SU is accused of it is hard to know what its level of culpability is and how that might translate to penalties.

The ESPN article is bullspit. It really says nothing other than the infractions that the committee will be reviewing come from a 10 year period. It could mean one infraction in 2003 and a wholly different one in 2013, it don't think it necessarily means a continued pattern of infractions over a 10 year period. If ESPN knew that to be the case they would most certainly emphasize that fact in their article. Further while they say that allegations of receiving improper benefits are among the allegations, but that may be one minor not particularly supportable allegation among others that are more clearly the focus of the upcoming hearing.

I want to emphasize that none of what we have seen reports any specifics. In the absence of specifics it is really hard to draw conclusions about what type of penalty SU should receive, much less whether it should even be subject to penalties.
Well said.

If JB has a fault it is that he runs a loose ship with a see no evil hear no evil mindset.
I honestly don't think the NCAA will do anything beyond taking some wins, probation, and lose a couple of scholarships.
I can't see anymore even USC FB which got a 2 year bowl had a smoking gun that went public. Come into my parlor said the spider to the fly. If SU is smart they offer probation, docking some wins and hope that is enough. If we get nailed I would recommend we fans hire a a legal firm and threaten to sue the NCAA and have it audited like Penn State fans did and watch the NCAA piss on themselves.
If the NCAA hist SU with a post season ban I would like to see the current players file suit against the NCAA. It's beyond ridiculous that the NCAA punishes current student athletes that were not at SU during the time of the violations. Its time the NCAA was smacked hard for this. The punishment should be levied against the school in the form of a fine and not be punitive to kids who had nothing to do with the violations.

Alsacs: Your post above is interesting, but is it even possible for the NCAA to impose a loss of scholarship(s) this season (2014-2015)?

Let's say, worst comes to worst, and JB is forced out...does the whole program get cleansed? Would Hopkins have to leave too? If JB is out, are the assistants likely gone too, as a result?
You have to wonder if Hop went after a crap job like Oregon State because he knew this was coming. Just a thought.

In June 2010 we were docked 2 scholarships because of the APR penalties. JB smartly during the 2009-2010 season only used 10 scholarships he took the penalty during that season and the NCAA accepted that. JB would be smart this year not to put 2 walkons on scholarships and only use 10 scholarships this year and he can say Syracuse self-imposed a 2 scholarship reduction during the 2014-2015 to show some contriteness to the NCAA and atleast attempt to get some leniency.

Take your pick guys

tin foil.jpg

If the NCAA hist SU with a post season ban I would like to see the current players file suit against the NCAA. It's beyond ridiculous that the NCAA punishes current student athletes that were not at SU during the time of the violations. Its time the NCAA was smacked hard for this. The punishment should be levied against the school in the form of a fine and not be punitive to kids who had nothing to do with the violations.

I'd like to see fines too, but I don't think the NCAA has enough power to impose the fines, especially considering how big they would need to be to have any impact. The NCAA has almost complete power regarding participation is the post season and scholarships, though.

We know the NCAA started sniffing around after the Fine incident.

I'm also starting to think it's very likely that SU basketball's organizational knowledge of how to keep NCAA issues concealed left with The Bernmeister.

Now I'm wondering if the King of Syracuse is feeding the NCAA information through intermediaries to get back at SU for canning him.

Irrelevant, in my opinion. We opened the gate with the crap that happened with Fab, which enabled them to look under the rocks for muck. If we hadn't given them that opening, they wouldn't have investigated.
actually I think it was the Finemess that opened the gate - Fab opened it wider

We know the NCAA started sniffing around after the Fine incident.

I'm also starting to think it's very likely that SU basketball's organizational knowledge of how to keep NCAA issues concealed left with The Bernmeister.

Now I'm wondering if the King of Syracuse is feeding the NCAA information through intermediaries to get back at SU for canning him.

Not a bad theory. Let's hope this ain't the case. Yikes.

Not sure how serious this was, but I do recall a rumor back when Dirty was suspended that if the NCAA kept him out he had grounds to sue the NCAA for harming his employment chances as a professional basketball player.

Bernie Fine is not leaking to the NCAA. Syracuse has a Fab Melo/James Southerland academic issue that the NCAA is deciding to come after us for.
I just want to know if teams go before this committee and don't get punished. That is the major issue for me right now.

If the worst happens, then that's the past ten seasons down the drain.

272 Wins, 86 Losses

2 Big East Tournament Championships
2 Big East Regular Season Championships

4 Sweet 16s
2 Elite 8s
1 Final 4
Do you really think that they would go that far? I mean really. I just don't think that's going to happen. When you look at the things that went down at places like Memphis and Tennessee just mention a few...they aren't going to go back and vacate all those wins. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom