ESPN: Strong man Hickey anchors Syracuse line | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN: Strong man Hickey anchors Syracuse line

Well it is correct as in "it is the case" present tense. And there are guys from those era's who greatly respect Hicks as well.

i'm full go with you in present tense. but no one would have admitted to it during the other era's.

i'm full go with you in present tense. but no one would have admitted to it during the other era's.
Freeney and Art Jones would disagree with you. That's not my opinion. And those are both from each P and grob era's.

Freeney and Art Jones would disagree with you. That's not my opinion. And those are both from each P and grob era's.

there will always be outliers. Freeney was from way before 'late p era' anyway. he graduated in 01.

P also had Bulluck and Darius who are among the best workout machines in the history of Cuse sports... among many others.

there will always be outliers. Freeney was from way before 'late p era' anyway. he graduated in 01.

P also had Bulluck and Darius who are among the best workout machines in the history of Cuse sports... among many others.
When you use terms like "he was not all that respected", and "but no one would have admitted it during the other era's", it couldn't be more overstated. The first quote would imo be trying to say the majority didn't respect him. I'll call bs on that. The second speaks for itself. I believe like the game of telephone, that some people's negative opinions lead a lot of people to take it as gospel. Do the people raising concern over his abilities even know what their talking about? To be able to pinpoint what happened with certain players as his fault? We can agree to disagree, but I'm not buying it.

When you use terms like "he was not all that respected", and "but no one would have admitted it during the other era's", it couldn't be more overstated. The first quote would imo be trying to say the majority didn't respect him. I'll call bs on that. The second speaks for itself. I believe like the game of telephone, that some people's negative opinions lead a lot of people to take it as gospel. Do the people raising concern over his abilities even know what their talking about? To be able to pinpoint what happened with certain players as his fault? We can agree to disagree, but I'm not buying it.

I think the point you are missing is that opinions can and should change. He was a "terrible" S&C coach for a few years. And at that pointy no one was saying differently.

It's a lot easier to say 'i told you so' now with no proof.

Of course, I'm in a perfect position because I never said many bad words against him of called for his job.

rrlbees said:
Some of it is what the coach wants. I remember a period under P where the desire was to have the OL all big and we'd have several. 300+ guys then a few years later they went with sleeker and thinner OL and many were in the 280 range.
No one wants 300 lb uh lbs

Of course grob averages it out by having 180 lb lbs

that is not correct. during the late p era and all of grob era (mainly bc of grob it turns out) he was not all that respected.

He has earned it back imo.

Not respected by whom?? I happen to know a few NFL front office folks love Hicks and have for quite some time. Our players test well and are typically well prepared for the grind of an NFL schedule.

As for the bulking and losing speed thing, that's mostly myth as well. Reyes increased his 40 time from his freshman to senior years. He was slowed down by a bulky hamstring and shoulder problems.

I think the point you are missing is that opinions can and should change. He was a "terrible" S&C coach for a few years. And at that pointy no one was saying differently.

Of course, I'm in a perfect position because I never said many bad words against him of called for his job.

No one? Who constitutes "no one"?

Not respected by whom?? I happen to know a few NFL front office folks love Hicks and have for quite some time. Our players test well and are typically well prepared for the grind of an NFL schedule.

As for the bulking and losing speed thing, that's mostly myth as well. Reyes increased his 40 time from his freshman to senior years. He was slowed down by a bulky hamstring and shoulder problems.

his reputation with the masses was terrible 5-10ish years ago. whether it was deserved or not, i dont know and wont pretend to know.

but no one was defending him when his reputation was beaten. its much easier to defend him now and say i told you so.

No one? Who constitutes "no one"?

maybe im in la la land... but i remember numerous hate threads on this or the previous site about him.

also posters that had "fire will hicks" in their signatures.

no one disagreed at the time. i didnt disagree either - but i also never chimed into the debates.

iirc mikael marinovich said something about how new age the syracuse conditioning program was and that was a major reason for him committing to cuse. and that getting a good chuckle.

Again I don't agree. And saying he was "terrible", I don't agree with at all. Who was saying this? People making threads on some whispers they heard with no substance? It happens daily. Someone makes a baseless point of view whether opinion or the game of telephone and everyone rides with it.
So Hicks was sleeping one night and an anvil fell on his head and all the sudden he's a really good S&C coach? Yeah, this reminds me of the posts of JB, all the sudden he doesn't know nothing over night and forgot everything from his success before. Making adjustments is one thing, doing a 180 another. And there are plenty of things at play, coaches and players. You can lead a camel to water, but you can't make him drink.
And it's not saying I told you so now with no proof. The proof is very good NFL players that he trained way back when, come back to train with him. So they use to think he was terrible, then when they hit the big time and can literally go anywhere in the country to train with anyone, all the sudden they pick Hicks to train with? Ok...

Again I don't agree. And saying he was "terrible", I don't agree with at all. Who was saying this? People making threads on some whispers they heard with no substance? It happens daily. Someone makes a baseless point of view whether opinion or the game of telephone and everyone rides with it.
So Hicks was sleeping one night and an anvil fell on his head and all the sudden he's a really good S&C coach? Yeah, this reminds me of the posts of JB, all the sudden he doesn't know nothing over night and forgot everything from his success before. Making adjustments is one thing, doing a 180 another. And there are plenty of things at play, coaches and players. You can lead a camel to water, but you can't make him drink.
And it's not saying I told you so now with no proof. The proof is very good NFL players that he trained way back when, come back to train with him. So they use to think he was terrible, then when they hit the big time and can literally go anywhere in the country to train with anyone, all the sudden they pick Hicks to train with? Ok...

that's fine if you disagree but people were absolutely calling for him to be fired for years.

that's fine if you disagree but people were absolutely calling for him to be fired for years.

There was some of that, but you are dead wrong to say that he didn't have defenders here all throughout his tenure. Not only participants in this thread, but others as well.

There was some of that, but you are dead wrong to say that he didn't have defenders here all throughout his tenure. Not only participants in this thread, but others as well.

maybe i am wrong. i dont recall any of it. and definitely not to this extent.

maybe im in la la land... but i remember numerous hate threads on this or the previous site about him.

also posters that had "fire will hicks" in their signatures.

no one disagreed at the time. i didnt disagree either - but i also never chimed into the debates.

iirc mikael marinovich said something about how new age the syracuse conditioning program was and that was a major reason for him committing to cuse. and that getting a good chuckle.

You are assessing how he was viewed as a professional based on what a some internet guys, who don't know a thing about the job or how he was ACTUALLY viewed in the profession, posted on a message board.

Got it.

And "no one" disagreed? Really.

You are assessing how he was viewed as a professional based on what a some internet guys, who don't know a thing about the job or how he was ACTUALLY viewed in the profession, posted on a message board.

Got it.

And "no one" disagreed? Really.

seeing that he has all these defenders now and people who know people... i guess im confused where they were 5 years ago.

seeing that he has all these defenders now and people who know people... i guess im confused where they were 5 years ago.

I was not a defender. I couldn't pick the guy out of a line-up.
But - I do pay attention, and without a doubt Go and CIL have been in consistent defense from day 1.

Didn't know what I know today about yesterday

In all seriousness though. People can't miss a thread? Or miss days on the board? I try not to because I have a weird obsession I guess, but dam..

Hicks was part of what made the Coach P Era as successful as it was. P was not a great recruiter, Hicks made 2* guys as good as they could be. I was the roommate of a football player during '02 and then '03 when they fired coach P and all of a sudden he didn't have as much S&C time on his schedule his numbers weren't tracked any more and it was very lax. Prior to that he was working out with the team constantly to keep his numbers up.

Hicks was part of what made the Coach P Era as successful as it was. P was not a great recruiter, Hicks made 2* guys as good as they could be. I was the roommate of a football player during '02 and then '03 when they fired coach P and all of a sudden he didn't have as much S&C time on his schedule his numbers weren't tracked any more and it was very lax. Prior to that he was working out with the team constantly to keep his numbers up.
Well since Hicks got here in 2000, i don't know if he would want to use the teams success under P with and without him as a measuring stick of his abilities since his arrival is approximately exactly when we fell off. (not saying it was his fault, but he didnt reside under a great record is all)

Mike Gerber says hello for the insane speed in the mid/late 90's

Well since Hicks got here in 2000, i don't know if he would want to use the teams success under P with and without him as a measuring stick of his abilities since his arrival is approximately exactly when we fell off. (not saying it was his fault, but he didnt reside under a great record is all)

Mike Gerber says hello for the insane speed in the mid/late 90's

I'd say 2001 was a pretty good year (10-3) but you have a point. Frankly 2004 wasn't bad either from an S&C standpoint only lost to top 25 teams minus a gaffe in the rain to Temple and to a very good GT team and beat #17 BC, Thank you Diamond Ferri.