ESPN: Top 5 Shooters in ESPN 100 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN: Top 5 Shooters in ESPN 100

OrangeTown

Starter
Insider article - I will only put the part about our man in here:

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecruiting/on-the-trail/post?id=11911&ex_cid=espnapi_public

2. Malachi Richardson (No. 19)
Committed to Syracuse

This 6-foot-7 long, athletic forward is dangerous at making deep and or mid-range jumpers by taking one or two rhythm dribbles into his shot. With the ball in his hands in ball screen action, he stops behind the screen when his defender gets buried to pull up and nail the shot as distance is never a problem. As the in-bounder on baseline, out-of-bounds plays, he usually receives a single or a stagger double screen to free himself for a shot. Richardson is hard to guard because he can escape defenders with the dribble and still nails the shot from anywhere on the floor. Look for him to be one of the main outside threats in the future for the Orange.

Great to see one of our prospects rated that highly.

Man, have we lacked consistent shooters these past four years.

When you think of the best players to come through the program over the years, they've been predominantly combo/power forwards and point guards. Sure the team has had some fine wings too but overall I'd say the talent has been thinner in that area than anywhere else.

Richardson IMO has the potential to be one of the best wings we've ever seen at SU. He reminds me of Rip Hamilton.

He will start at the 3 next year.

I've seen him play in person several times. He could play the 3 down the road. He's a 2 now...I agree with Madbiker... The big question is: Could he defend from the 2 in the zone? We'll see what he looks like physically when he's on campus, but he projects as a 2 as a freshman.

This might be hyperbole, but his shooting stroke is Curry-esque. His whole game is rounding into form too. He does need to work on his defense.

I've seen him play in person several times. He could play the 3 down the road. He's a 2 now...I agree with Madbiker... The big question is: Could he defend from the 2 in the zone? We'll see what he looks like physically when he's on campus, but he projects as a 2 as a freshman.

This might be hyperbole, but his shooting stroke is Curry-esque. His whole game is rounding into form too. He does need to work on his defense.

Love the personal observations / insight -- so much more informative than most articles.

Halfmooncuse said:
And the other starters? Bryant C Diagne PF T. Robsrson SF Joseph PG Richardson SG

Joseph PG
Cooney 2g
Richardson SF
Roberson PF (if he stays)
C Bryant

With two very good rebounders in Roberson and Bryant, we might be able to live with a weaker SF who gets pushed around on the boards. If he can score as well as expected, he will be a net positive even if he has a guard like rebounding average.

He sounds like most every 6'7 - 6'8 guy who comes to SU. Rail thin, good athlete, good shooter in HS, lights out in mop-up duty in November-December, minutes dwindle down to nothing in January when he misses his first shot or turns it over one time.

I'm kidding.

Sort of.

He sounds like most every 6'7 - 6'8 guy who comes to SU. Rail thin, good athlete, good shooter in HS, lights out in mop-up duty in November-December, minutes dwindle down to nothing in January when he misses his first shot or turns it over one time.

I'm kidding.

Sort of.

I know this was sarcasm (sort of), but you couldn't be more wrong about Malachi. This kid wants the ball in his hands in crunch time. He wants to take the final shot. He's won numerous big games with buzzer beaters. Malachi is a winner. He does need to get stronger, like most SU wings.

iommi said:
I know this was sarcasm (sort of), but you couldn't be more wrong about Malachi. This kid wants the ball in his hands in crunch time. He wants to take the final shot. He's won numerous big games with buzzer beaters. Malachi is a winner. He does need to get stronger, like most SU wings.

Every HS star is like that in HS. Even Mookie was.

Pretty much the only knock I've heard on him is that he might not have the best motor/intensity on the defensive end of the court.

Pretty much the only knock I've heard on him is that he might not have the best motor/intensity on the defensive end of the court.

Which is the thing that will keep him off the court early on at SU. If you don't come in and put in the work to become a good defender, then you won't see the floor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom