ESPN | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN

NFL ratings are down because the game sucks. They've sucked the fun from it. My wife hates football, "they stand up, run into each other, fall down, stand around for 30 seconds and do it again. Then they stop it again for no reason (because there's a flag). Then they fall down. I don't get it ."

Penalties, TV timeouts, & reviews are killing that game. It's unwatchable at times.

Regardless of the reasons, ratings are significantly down. Your wife isn't wrong.

But that doesn't explain why College Football Ratings are significantly up at the same time.

Someone said to me earlier in the year in a different thread that the NFL and it's ratings were untouchable and that they didn't need my viewership. Apparently I was right and they were wrong, gonna go back and find out who that was.

Imagine being this smug when you are 1 month behind the news cycle

Everything you are posting was pre election.
Maybe you want to read up.

It's not close to down 20 percent across the board

NFL ratings get a post-presidential election lift after weeks of declines

Wow, just wow, the younger generation is so spoiled. I stream ESPN3 to a TV and never had a problem. My service provider is not that fast but my computer is good. Graphics card is decent but not top end. I remember the days when I went to a radio station late at night to read the ticker tape to get the score, in close to real time, for each Cuse basketball game that was not on broadcast TV. I love ESPN3!!!!!!! Yes, there were ticker tapes. The scores were spit out occasionally and randomly during the game and there was no commentary, not even at end. I'll take ESPN3 instead.

Last edited:
Im not sure that complaing about a phone crashing when running a streaming app really makes a ton of sense.. its still a phone trying to do video and stream at a rate way more than its really designed to handle. phone apps crash all the time , they just try to do too much with such a small device. but thats what people want so thats what they get.
You really shouldn't try to do too much with a small device.

The NFL has a lot of issues.

CFB is doing fine because you don't get the feeling it's scripted. You don't have game altering penalties all the time. A good QB isn't the end all, be all. There aren't commercial breaks every 5 seconds. Teams can stay alive for the postseason with 6 wins so there's always something to play for. You don't see as many life changing injuries and concussions. You don't have players taking political stands.

I feel there's more Fantasy fans than actual fans of the NFL at this point.

There's clearly a reason CFB is doing well and the NFL's ratings are dropping. It's also not a professional thing because the NBA is doing great.

Imagine being this smug when you are 1 month behind the news cycle

Everything you are posting was pre election.
Maybe you want to read up.

It's not close to down 20 percent across the board

NFL ratings get a post-presidential election lift after weeks of declines

Still way down and the only reason it is up is matchups.

How about being smug saying this "NFL ratings are not down 20 percent, not sure where you got that from". I showed you where I got it from and it was and is still correct.

Your article is also not as rosy as you make it seem. “It’s a little premature to take a victory lap or say whatever problems we were examining a month ago have gone away, but there are some encouraging numbers out there,” said Mike Mulvihill, executive vice president for research, league operations and strategy for FoxSports.

Also - declines were through week 1o which was 2 weeks ago so I am not one month behind in the news cycle. Through the first nine weeks, ratings had shown double-digit declines when compared with the 2015 season.

Week 12 SNF game down 27 pts from last year.
Sunday Night Football Takes Massive Ratings Nosedive in Week 12 - Breitbart

As of week 14 ratings are still falling.
NFL Week 14 Overnights: National Window Hits Low Yet Again — Sports Media Watch

Point is their ratings were boosted by a few great matchups for the last 1-2 weeks and a dropping again after those games. Most of the boosts are due to the Cowboys and Raiders.

I usually have Sportscenter on when I eat breakfast in the morning just to have something to watch. I know she is an alum, but I find Sarina Morales totally annoying. I do like Jaymee Sire so that makes it tolerable. Only other time I usually watch is when Lindsay Czarniak is hosting - she's my tv girlfriend. But I do watch a ton of live sports so they've got me there.

What the Cusian said.

Several companies sell their channels to the cable companies for a fee (say $2 per month per subscriber). The cable company delivers the channel to the subscriber for $2 + the delivery fee + profit. Theoretically, this was how cable evolved. Pay a subscription rate and media companies would be less dependent on advertising. The problem that has happened over the years is that the revenue from subscribers was fantastic and they could charge for advertising, too. It all led to bloat (400 channels and nothing on). For example, ESPN is a highly rated channel, so to increase revenue, they can charge the cable company more to carry it. To further increase revenue, ESPN can either jack up their rate (which they have) or add more channels to their bundle (if a cable company wants to deliver ESPN for $2, they now have to deliver ESPN 2 for $1.75 and ESPN News for a $1) so that bundle cost is more. Other media companies do the same thing and voila, you're paying for 200 channels, and you consistently watch 12 or whatever so you're paying a subscription fee for a bunch of channels you have zero interest in. You can't control how many channels the cable company provides you for your monthly bill because the packages are structured so the typical family almost has to have the full package to keep everyone happy. Additionally, cable companies want to maximize their revenue, so they rent you DVRs for astronomical prices and make it difficult for you to cancel or modify your subscriptions. ESPN in particular is a very expensive bundle that 100% of cable subscribers are pay for but maybe 25% actually watch.

Ideally, you could subscribe to the 12 channels you want, but this is difficult because several media companies own their own suite of oftentimes dissimilar channels and refuse to sell them separately, and it takes a lot of revenue from small media companies and kills innovation (however, vimeo and youtube have become a sort of incubator for media). AMC could never have done something like Breaking Bad or Walking Dead if they didn't have the revenue.

When a household cuts the cable cord, you can pick to some degree what you would like (slingTV for one has a couple of packages, but you're still paying for a bundle of channels - for me, it's great, because I only need ESPN for college basketball season, so I can cancel at the end of March - same with HBO and game of thrones). I think single channel subscriptions aren't viable because the revenue isn't enough. Netflix and Hulu offer some great content as well as being able to timeshift your viewing much like a DVR. Ultimately, after cutting cable, I only pay probably $10 less a month, but I can cancel some packages and netflix or hulu, HBO based on how I feel. We don't watch a ton of TV in the summer, so I put most of the subscriptions on hold. Over the course of the year, I pay less.
This for year 2014....
OG-AC140_TopTV__G_20140729144610.jpg
just getting too dam expensive for people who don't watch it.

People watch sports to get away from politics, social views and the like. When you start mixing those things, peopl don't feel that sports ar ean escape from those things any longer. NFL ratings are down this year about 20%, is it because bad games...there a re bad games every year, so no.

There were several polls done and the pollsters called it the Kaepernik effect when asked people about it they specifically stated that they didn't want their sports politicized by anyone (paraphrasing there) so they tuned out.

Sports should not be mixed with anything, keep it pure and simple. That formula has worked forever. As soon as athletes start using their notoriety as a platform for change, watch the ratings drop.

I think it's foolish to think this way. Sports, culture, politics, religion have always been wrapped up together - it's one of the reasons Jim Brown and Ernie Davis resonate so much around here and around the country. Sports after 9/11. Ali. Olympics in hostile countries. Miami Football in the 90's. Literally, most every 30 for 30.

Prob a little OT, but:

What people don't like is when ideas they work hard to ignore show up in the thing they are using as a distraction. "I go to Fox (or MSNBC) for my politics and world view, and I don't want to hear about it otherwise" is a huge problem in what's being called a "post-truth" period we're in right now.

Another way to think about it is like this:

1. Innocent black kid gets shot by a cop.
2. It's a problem that needs solving, for both parties. The African American community lost a child. The police did something that goes against their codes and ethics.
3. None of this is political on it's face. It's just a problem that needs to be worked out.
4. Person A goes on left media and only hears the African American side. Person B goes on right media and only hears the police side.
5. Athletes identify with the African American community or police and rightly use their voice for speaking to the problem.
6. Sports media reports on issues during broadcast. Persons A and B both get angry about politics intruding into their distraction and most importantly are offended by the opposing point of view because they have drawn sides.
7. Problem remains ignored because it's political.

Like I said in the beginning - there is a line where "too much is too much" ... but this stuff has always been mixed together.

NFL ratings are down because the game sucks. They've sucked the fun from it. My wife hates football, "they stand up, run into each other, fall down, stand around for 30 seconds and do it again. Then they stop it again for no reason (because there's a flag). Then they fall down. I don't get it ."

Penalties, TV timeouts, & reviews are killing that game. It's unwatchable at times.
I believe George F. Will described it this way, "Football is a microcosm of everything that is wrong with America; periods of extreme violence punctuated by committee meetings." But, then again, he's a Cubs seamhead, so ...

Still way down and the only reason it is up is matchups.

How about being smug saying this "NFL ratings are not down 20 percent, not sure where you got that from". I showed you where I got it from and it was and is still correct.

Your article is also not as rosy as you make it seem. “It’s a little premature to take a victory lap or say whatever problems we were examining a month ago have gone away, but there are some encouraging numbers out there,” said Mike Mulvihill, executive vice president for research, league operations and strategy for FoxSports.

Also - declines were through week 1o which was 2 weeks ago so I am not one month behind in the news cycle. Through the first nine weeks, ratings had shown double-digit declines when compared with the 2015 season.

Week 12 SNF game down 27 pts from last year.
Sunday Night Football Takes Massive Ratings Nosedive in Week 12 - Breitbart

As of week 14 ratings are still falling.
NFL Week 14 Overnights: National Window Hits Low Yet Again — Sports Media Watch

Point is their ratings were boosted by a few great matchups for the last 1-2 weeks and a dropping again after those games. Most of the boosts are due to the Cowboys and Raiders.

I have no problem if you wanted to say ratings are down a bunch and the NFL is in bad shape, heck, I agree!...and even though I disagree with your opinion on why they are down, that's fine, too. I guess I just have a problem with this new wave of just making up stats to fit a narrative.

I just don't understand the need to make some grand statement like "NFL ratings are down this year about 20%, is it because bad games...there a re bad games every year, so no."

NFL ratings as a whole aren't down 20 percent. They were never down 20 percent. MONDAY NIGHT was down > 20. That's one specific timeslot.

I never stated things were rosy, never said ratings were good.

I stated ratings are not down 20% and they are not.

the question is are less people watching or are more people finding ways to watch that dont cost money or get tracked.. the NFL really just cares about eyeballs and if surveys show people are watching in other ways then some of the numbers dont matter.. unless you DVR a game you still get the commercials no matter how you view it. the question is how the ad people handle the shift

the question is are less people watching or ...
There are fewer people paying for ESPN. Not every cable cutter watched ESPN, but they all paid for it. When 50 people cancel their cable subscription and only 20 resubscribe through an alternate means, it's a big, immediate loss in revenue. Then advertising revenue for the channel starts dropping when firms get actual eyeballs-watching numbers.

if they can show people are watching the can recover the lost revenue just by making it harder to retransmit or steal the source. they can eliminate all of it but they can much of it. just a question of worth the effort.

I have no problem if you wanted to say ratings are down a bunch and the NFL is in bad shape, heck, I agree!...and even though I disagree with your opinion on why they are down, that's fine, too. I guess I just have a problem with this new wave of just making up stats to fit a narrative.

I just don't understand the need to make some grand statement like "NFL ratings are down this year about 20%, is it because bad games...there a re bad games every year, so no."

NFL ratings as a whole aren't down 20 percent. They were never down 20 percent. MONDAY NIGHT was down > 20. That's one specific timeslot.

I never stated things were rosy, never said ratings were good.

I stated ratings are not down 20% and they are not.
No, ratings are down with the exception of a few games, it's not just in a few time slots. If it were a few time slots, nobody would be panicing like they are now. There are time slots and days that are way farther down than others, some 28% lower than last years numbers.

Point is that they are down overall and it isn't because of the election as you stated.

I read that ESPN still has 80 MILLION subscribers through cable TV.

I also happen to think that what has really hurt CABLE TV are HD digital broadcasts. People typically got cable TV for the better signal/reception if they were in an apartment or condo, or for more channels if they had an outdoor antenna with antenna rotator in a single family house, but now an indoor antenna will get you several dozen completely clear channels nearly half of which are HD and I can only imagine what the best outdoor antennas can receive. Standard cable TV compresses the signal and now gives an inferior picture unless you pay extra for HD service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom