Estime & Broyld to play on Saturday! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Estime & Broyld to play on Saturday!

Chip said:
Curious to see how Lester uses them. Wish we were getting Foy back, but from Tom's post yesterday, sounds like that won't happen this year.

Yep, lot of people complained we used too many and they liked Lester used fewer. Be interesting to see if he still plays fewer or if it was just the injuries that reduced the number.

West
Ish
Estime
Broyld
Fleming
Lewis
Avant
Funderburke
Cornelius
Kobena

Interesting to see how many play.

Yep, lot of people complained we used too many and they liked Lester used fewer. Be interesting to see if he still plays fewer or if it was just the injuries that reduced the number.

West
Ish
Estime
Broyld
Fleming
Lewis
Avant
Funderburke
Cornelius
Kobena

Ish
West
Estime
Broyld

some guy
another guy
some white guy
some transfer guy
some short guy
some skinny guy

not only that, he's better at getting open

west makes more plays than broyld does. broyld has caught a thousand worthless passes for 3 yards per and no TDs
I like Ashton, he will make a guy miss, he can't accelerate away and turn it into 6 but I think he gets us first downs. Estime gives us another speed guy. This is really good news.

West
Ish
Estime
Broyld
Fleming
Lewis
Avant
Funderburke
Cornelius
Kobena

I know I am in the group that feels less is better. Play your best guys.

West
Ish
Estime
Broyld
Lewis

Ish
West
Estime
Broyld

some guy
another guy
some white guy
some transfer guy
some short guy
some skinny guy

This.

Ish should be on the field 95% of the plays. From what I have seen, he is our best wide receiver in terms of creating space and route running. West is a good downfield target. Broyld is a possession reciever who can move the chains, similar to Lemon. Estime is the speed guy who you CAN throw bubble screens to. Bring in Lewis for 5 wideout sets.

All my opinion, of course.

I'm actually pretty shocked we've had 10 wideouts out there.

West
Ish
Estime
Broyld
Fleming
Lewis
Avant
Funderburke
Cornelius
Kobena

Funder has shown nothing so far since he has been here. Same for Kobena. West and Ish have been stellar and, other than that dropped wounded duck, Lewis has been very good as well. Broyld gets open and gets his catches but I think he has dropped three or four TDs on slants/posts where he was wide open and had catchable balls. It will be interesting to see if AJ goes to him or not. I am betting not.

I have a feeling Lester will try to build on the success of those pass plays to Phillips and PTG out of the backfield.

I know I am in the group that feels less is better. Play your best guys.

West
Ish
Estime
Broyld
Lewis

Flemming will certainly play. I can't really comment on how good a thing that is, but I'd bet he'll be out there quite a bit because he always seems to be.

Not sure if Lewis is back yet. But your list plus Flemming is the most that see the field.

I think guys like Avant, Funderburke, Kobena were only getting time because of the injuries. Same would apply to Cornelius, but I think he's still hurt anyway.

Flemming will certainly play. I can't really comment on how good a thing that is, but I'd bet he'll be out there quite a bit because he always seems to be.

Not sure if Lewis is back yet. But your list plus Flemming is the most that see the field.

I think guys like Avant, Funderburke, Kobena were only getting time because of the injuries. Same would apply to Cornelius, but I think he's still hurt anyway.
I wouldn't put Avant in with that group.

he gets open, long has touch and won't fire fastballs 10 feet over his head
Gotta believe that at some point this season Long hits Salt Badger on a slant and it goes the distance.

This.

Ish should be on the field 95% of the plays. From what I have seen, he is our best wide receiver in terms of creating space and route running. West is a good downfield target. Broyld is a possession reciever who can move the chains, similar to Lemon. Estime is the speed guy who you CAN throw bubble screens to. Bring in Lewis for 5 wideout sets.

All my opinion, of course.

I'm actually pretty shocked we've had 10 wideouts out there.
if they ever start going really fast, i'm fine with a rotation. if it's faster to sub, catch your breath. turn it into hockey

I wouldn't put Avant in with that group.

It wasn't meant to be an indictment on his future ability to contribute (like, say, Kobena). In his case, it was more of being put on the field before he was completely ready once Broyld and Estime went down and there were no H-backs left. I wouldn't expect to see him play if those 2 are healthy.

I hope Estime could have gone last week, but the wanted him 100%. He has been nursing that ankle all season...

I think Broyld will excel with AJ because AJ throws a more catchable (ie softer) ball. Those slants out of the slot we like missiles from Hunt.

dont tell brent axe that. he thinks aj has a stronger arm. i like what aj is showing but i wouldnt consider him having a stronger arm.

I hope Estime could have gone last week, but the wanted him 100%. He has been nursing that ankle all season...
High ankle sprains can suck. They can linger for months, and they sap exactly what makes Estime special -- speed at the front of the play, and quick lateral movement.

High ankle sprains can suck. They can linger for months, and they sap exactly what makes Estime special -- speed at the front of the play, and quick lateral movement.
Exactly, and they are prone to re injury. If that happens he could be out for the season.

I think Broyld will excel with AJ because AJ throws a more catchable (ie softer) ball. Those slants out of the slot we like missiles from Hunt.

That's true on some of the passes,but we've also seen him drop quite a few that have hit him in very good spots.A good athlete that isn't that great at any position,imo.

Agree on the seldom used backups.

Agree on Lewis. I would be surprised if he just magically starts playing again with no warning.

I think some people on this board overrate 'hands' and dramatically underrate ability to get open when trying to figure out who should play WR.

Clemson plays some of the best pass defense we will see this season. They have great pass rushers, top notch corners and safeties, and can play man defense or a variety of zones. Venables, as Long says, is known for doing unorthodox things. All of this makes it hard to be successful throwing the ball.

IMHO, the biggest reason Broyld gets the ball so much when he is healthy is because he consistently gets open. Flemming, West, Parris, Estime, even Ishmael have had a hard time getting open against a quality pass defense, though Ishmael appears to be making some progress here. I will say that while West still struggles to get separation against a good corner, he has been much better making catches while closely covered.

Estime certainly has the potential to get open against tough pass coverage schemes as well...I just haven't seen him do it yet with any consistency. I haven't seen Custis play at the college level enough to make any kind of judgement on him yet.

Just to throw some numbers out there, someone who gets open 90% of the time and catches 80% of the balls thrown to him is going to be a lot more effective than someone who gets open 40% of the time and catches 98% of those balls.

Just my opinion...

I think we see a lot of Custis this week.

Have we said that every week?

he gets open, long has touch and won't fire fastballs 10 feet over his head
That was one of our biggest problems during the Maryland game. Estime was consistently open, and Hunt threw uncatchable ball after uncatchable ball.

I think some people on this board overrate 'hands' and dramatically underrate ability to get open when trying to figure out who should play WR.

my only disagreement is that it's not just this board.

broyld has 3 catches over 15 yards. 11 for his career. he must not be thaaat open. keep waiting for his short catches to turn into something and they don't

Ishmael already has 7. Estime has 10.

Best WR lineup in my opinion is Ish and Broyld outside, Estime in the slot. These guys are playmaking athletes that we need to beat Clemson. West, Flemming and Lewis used in packages and to spell starters.

The two best WR's on the team are West and Ishmael and then everyone else. They should be getting 80% of the snaps.

West
Ish
Estime
Broyld
Fleming
Lewis
Avant
Funderburke
Cornelius
Kobena

I'd slot Lewis in after Estime. Those four should get the vast majority of PT. Unless Fleming is a tremendous perimeter blocker, not sure what he brings to the table that the rest of the group doesn't.

Time to shorten the rotation/

This Broyld is a playmaker thing is such a myth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom