Estime | Syracusefan.com

Estime

anomander

Living Legend
Posted this in the practice thread, but think it could be a good discussion on it's own.

What's everyone's thoughts on this?

I wonder if they would consider moving Estime to defense? When he first signed I thought we would use him at corner, plus he had a pretty accomplished High School career on that side of the ball. I would seriously consider moving Estime to corner opposite of Whigham, freeing up Morgan to move back to safety, which would give that group some depth and experience. Brisly is too talented to be lost in the mix. We don't have anyone on the roster with his athletic ability, so might as well utilize it. Him, Ashton, and Erv all bring a lot of potential at the H-Back, but they will also cut into each others playing time. Those guys are too talented to be on the sidelines. Out of the group I think Erv is the most natural on offense, but Brisly is the most versatile. Who says he can't play both sides of the ball? I'd have defense be his primary position, but also have some offensive packages for him. We have to find ways to maximize the potential of our best athletes.

Posted this in the practice thread, but think it could be a good discussion on it's own.

I wonder if they would consider moving Estime to defense? When he first signed I thought we would use him at corner, plus he had a pretty accomplished High School career on that side of the ball. I would seriously consider moving Estime to corner opposite of Whigham, freeing up Morgan to move back to safety, which would give that group some depth and experience. Brisly is too talented to be lost in the mix. We don't have anyone on the roster with his athletic ability, so might as well utilize it. Him, Ashton, and Erv all bring a lot of potential at the H-Back, but they will also cut into each others playing time. Those guys are too talented to be on the sidelines. Out of the group I think Erv is the most natural on offense, but Brisly is the most versatile. Who says he can't play both sides of the ball? I'd have defense be his primary position, but also have some offensive packages for him. We have to find ways to maximize the potential of our best athletes.

Sort of like they did with Esk, but IMO more offensive upside. Love it. And return punts.

It sounds like he is in the mix, but time will tell how big of a roll. He could be a playmaker on defense as well. I took a look at his HS defensive highlights again, and think he could make more of an impact on that side of the ball considering positional needs. Ultimately I would like to see him get snaps on both sides of the ball. I definitely think he is talented enough.

It sounds like he is in the mix, but time will tell how big of a roll. He could be a playmaker on defense as well. I took a look at his HS defensive highlights again, and think he could make more of an impact on that side of the ball considering positional needs. Ultimately I would like to see him get snaps on both sides of the ball. I definitely think he is talented enough.

Would you need to though? Sounds like right now we've got Whigham, Hudson, Dowels and Winfield, and then Cordy playing both spots potentially. And I'm pretty confident if all of our DB recruits qualify, that you're going to shore up the S positions pretty well that perhaps Cordy can just focus on CB. The only way it really makes sense is if he's going to be really limited on the offensive side of the ball and he can crack the two deep at corner.

While we are at it I would also make sure sugar bear is a TE on goal line

Would you need to though? Sounds like right now we've got Whigham, Hudson, Dowels and Winfield, and then Cordy playing both spots potentially. And I'm pretty confident if all of our DB recruits qualify, that you're going to shore up the S positions pretty well that perhaps Cordy can just focus on CB. The only way it really makes sense is if he's going to be really limited on the offensive side of the ball and he can crack the two deep at corner.

At worst I think he could be the 3rd corner, which would put him on the field a great deal. I thought Hudson was more of a safety when he was recruited, unless he was moved to cb full-time? Hopefully Winfield improved upon last year. I mean it's just a thought right now, but I would try him out and see how he looks. Again his HS work on that side of the ball spoke for itself. If he is the best corner on the team then i'd like to see him play. But i'd also like to see the ball in his hands. It just seems with him, Broyld, and now Erv things will get tight when it comes to snaps.

Estime on defense is interesting. I feel like he'd be a bit undersized though.

I think last season the offense was really going to feature Estime, then when he got hurt and Broyld moved to his spot that blew up that plan.

Estime was the Palm Beach Post Large Schools Defensive Player of the Year and Class 7A First Team in Florida.

Estime on defense is interesting. I feel like he'd be a bit undersized though.

I think last season the offense was really going to feature Estime, then when he got hurt and Broyld moved to his spot that blew up that plan.

I don't know i think he'd fit right in.

Cordy 5'8
Dowels 5'10
Hudson 5'10
Ellison 5'8
Morgan 5'10

it's like we're recruiting from the Shire.

Estime was the Palm Beach Post Large Schools Defensive Player of the Year and Class 7A First Team in Florida.

Yep, it doesn't seem it now, but thinking back I was originally shocked that Estime was going to play on offense. With what you posted above, and everything you saw on his highlights , I was positive he was going to come in as a playmaking corner.

Yep, it doesn't seem it now, but thinking back I was originally shocked that Estime was going to play on offense. With what you posted above, and everything you saw on his highlights , I was positive he was going to come in as a playmaking corner.

Yup, me too. I understand the thinking that led to making him a WR - we were desperate for speed and play making at that position. Phillips and Ishmael mitigate some of that now. It would be really interesting to see if Estime could be a difference maker on D. Bullough is already warning the fan base that 2015 is going to be a "transitional" year for the D.

Probably because he was a McDonald recruit and he wanted him in his offense.

Interesting idea and based on positional strength, it's worth a look. I don't have a lot of confidence in the secondary right now and there seem to be more options on offense than two years ago. He might be more valuable in 2015 in a 3rd corner/returner/spot WR role.

Estime will be an impact player on offense this year. He just could not get into a rhythm with all of his injuries. We need him more on offense IMO... even though we are light on d-backs. I think it would just put him on another learning curve and he is already a junior.

Edit: If they let him go both ways I would be for it. I just can't see this staff doing that.

Last edited:

Esteem isn't really in the HB mix right now right? sounds like he is playing mainly WR and I would guess Estime is a likely starter at the other wide receiver/slot receiver spot opposite Ismael in the base set. Then we have Broyld, Philips and Ben Lewis all playing the HB. Maybe Lewis splits time at the HB and WR spots. Dunk and Paris split time at TE and both get in some two TE sets.

I think Estime see a lot of time this year on O and does not get lost in the mix. I understand what your saying about concerns for a dominant CB with serious athleticism but he has already spent two years playing WR and I think it would be kind of a waste getting him up to speed technically at CB at this point.

I don't like the both ways for him. If a player is a tall physical defensive player and can play on some special goal line situations or something I could see that like say Thompson as someone mentioned above. But him to also get time needing to know full coverages and assignments defensively as well I don't see that happening. Plus with his size he will have a hard enough time staying on the field playing on just offense and some specials.

He couldn't return punts most of his freshman year because of inability to learn the play book from what I remember. No way he goes both ways.

Whitey23 said:
He couldn't return punts most of his freshman year because of inability to learn the play book from what I remember. No way he goes both ways.

I think it was too short a time to learn the play book not ability to learn it. They wanted to use him everywhere his frosh year.

Lester used double wing formations in his offense. If that is part of what he does here who is going to play wing back? Could be Broyld, Irv, even Lewis. Actually, many different guys depending whether it is red, blue or loose. Just too early to know. BTW probably want your fastest WR in those formations to stretch things out a bit. That is Estime.

He is one of the only guys (Phillips? Ishmael? McFarlane?) with legitimate P5 speed on offense. Regardless of the style of offense we run, I am simply sick and tired of trying to do it with slow guys. No way I would move him.

Estime has not been utilized well in his first two years. Get him the ball. He should be our primary kick and punt returner for the next two years. Period.
He needs to get 10 touches a game, i dont care how. Just my opinion.

Estime has not been utilized well in his first two years. Get him the ball. He should be our primary kick and punt returner for the next two years. Period.
He needs to get 10 touches a game, i dont care how. Just my opinion.

He didn't know the playbook his first year, and his second year he was hurt for the majority. Those two things greatly factored into how he was used.

He is one of the only guys (Phillips? Ishmael? McFarlane?) with legitimate P5 speed on offense. Regardless of the style of offense we run, I am simply sick and tired of trying to do it with slow guys. No way I would move him.

On the flip side, do we have anyone on D with P5 speed outside of Morgan? I don't know about the young safeties and I get the argument about his value on offense, but it's worth talking about isn't it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom