Etan article | Syracusefan.com

Etan article

ottodaorange

Starter
Etan Thomas wrote an article for the Huffington Post. It is well thought out, and yes, could be considered political. But there isn't much these days that isn't political. I believe this post belongs on the basketball board since Etan was one of the best centers that ever played for us. Additionally, nearly all of our basketball players are young men of color and face similar racist policies. We should be proud that a member of our family has the courage to speak out and that a Syracuse education breeds men of honor and intelligence, as well as NBA talent.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/etan-thomas/athletes-take-a-stand-for_b_5724938.html

Etan Thomas wrote an article for the Huffington Post. It is well thought out, and yes, could be considered political. But there isn't much these days that isn't political. I believe this post belongs on the basketball board since Etan was one of the best centers that ever played for us. Additionally, nearly all of our basketball players are young men of color and face similar racist policies. We should be proud that a member of our family has the courage to speak out and that a Syracuse education breeds men of honor and intelligence, as well as NBA talent.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/etan-thomas/athletes-take-a-stand-for_b_5724938.html

I am forbidden by my psychologist, my priest, my wife, relatives, close friends, my coworkers, my employer, the guy down the street, and our mayor for making any commentary on politics!

Etan plays the victimiztion card which is a rationalization for entitlements and therefore big government. Big government handouts are the opiate of the masses. How is it brave to not only go with the pandering crowd but also to incite it by making accusations contrary to a basic tenet of civilization, 'innocent until proven guilty'? I'm not impressed. I'm embarrassed.

Last edited:
Decent article but why can't anybody wait for facts to come out? I'm no fan of law enforcement, I railed against the NYPD over the Eric Garner death but "running onto the field with your hands up"? "Standing in solidarity"? How about "not rushing to judgment".. Seems to me people are just looking for reasons to be outraged.

Last edited:
etan Thomas is one of my favorite players to wear orange, but have a gut feeling Wilson will be made a scapegoat and the truth will never be known. 3 autopsys? good kid gunned down? I live in st Louis and have driven west flouissant many times, normally a lot of shouting and who knows what at small shops while waiting for traffic lights. If I walked the middle of the street the cell phone police would immediately call the police and I would be taken in for evaluation. Don't pretend to know what happened but certainly hope the truth prevails

Could be considered political?

I dont even have to read it - he is WAY OUT THERE in a lot of his thoughts and almost everything he says is political. im going to to guess an article that Etan publishes in the huffington post is going to be insanely political - just a guess.

He is as anti -Israel as it comes (edit * this may be an overstatement and i apologize - but based on some of his recent tweets, this was my thought process) and he has a running fatherhood panel that in part describes itself as "diverse fathers" that includes exactly 0 fathers that arent black.

Im glad he is passionate about what he does - but he has a great opportunity to do a lot of good in the community and IMHO fails miserably. Instead of creating peace and/or inclusion, he tries to sway peoples opinion to the opposite and just as crazy side of the aisle.

I went to college with several guys who, at least politically, we're mirror images of Etan. It was impossible to talk to them about anything political because it ultimately ended up as racial this or that and "The Man" was the reason for everything wrong in inner cities. They started their own group on campus that was black only and put forth this angry, watered down version of the Black Panther movement. It was supposed to be an African Heritage group, per the school. They sat together in the dining hall and never mingled.

The guys in the group I had known through basketball and other intramural activities prior were good dudes and continued to be, away from the group. A couple of them changed and stopped hanging out.

I have always been a big Etan fan. He was one of my favorite post players for SU. I'm not a fan of his political views. The way he presents them can be unnecessarily divisive.

I am forbidden by my psychologist, my priest, my wife, relatives, close friends, my coworkers, my employer, the guy down the street, and our mayor for making any commentary on politics!
You are a lucky man to be surrounded by such wise individuals.

My least favorite SU player ever. He wanted to go to gtown but they didn't offer. Obv a better fit there. Notice how hes never connected with the program since he left? As a player he was a foul machine, very primitive skills. His political views childish. But because he speaks in complete sentences he's a genius with sports writers. Tiresome.

As a player he was a foul machine
341 total fouls
6 disqualifications

For comparison:
DC had 426/17
Watkins 302/18
Forth 360/16

very primitive skills.
Lottery pick (12th overall)
Big East Defensive Player of the Year (twice)
Big East 3rd team (Soph)
Big East 2nd team(Jr.)
Big East 1st team (Sr.)
Led SU in scoring and rebounding (Sr.)
All time leader in blocked shots/career/season/game
We won BE his senior season.

His political views childish.
Is it your disagreement with his views that makes them childish? Nothing even remotely childish in that article or any other I've read by ET. (For the record, I don't agree with a lot of what he writes.)

But because he speaks in complete sentences he's a genius with sports writers.
Yes, he does speak in complete sentences. He also speaks and writes thoughtfully and intelligently on some tough and complicated issues. That doesn't make him a genius, but it does make him a good source for a quote or opinion.

341 total fouls
6 disqualifications

For comparison:
DC had 426/17
Watkins 302/18
Forth 360/16

Lottery pick (12th overall)
Big East Defensive Player of the Year (twice)
Big East 3rd team (Soph)
Big East 2nd team(Jr.)
Big East 1st team (Sr.)
Led SU in scoring and rebounding (Sr.)
All time leader in blocked shots/career/season/game
We won BE his senior season.

Is it your disagreement with his views that makes them childish? Nothing even remotely childish in that article or any other I've read by ET. (For the record, I don't agree with a lot of what he writes.)

Yes, he does speak in complete sentences. He also speaks and writes thoughtfully and intelligently on some tough and complicated issues. That doesn't make him a genius, but it does make him a good source for a quote or opinion.

thoughtful and intelligent?

He assumes that the policeman is guilty and the gentle giant is a victim of both police brutality and inbred American racism. The gentle giant is on film committing a strong armed robbery (the cigars are used to roll joints), and he violently assaulted a policeman. A lawsuit is in progress to release his juvenile record (since he is deceased the record should be made public). He is a member of the Bloods and he had been booked for murder (2nd degree) but not prosecuted. Is it smart and intelligent to use a violent sociopath to make your case?

Last edited:
thoughtful and intelligent?

He assumes that the policeman is guilty and the gentle giant is a victim of both police brutality and inbred American racism. The gentle giant is on film committing a strong armed robbery (the cigars are used to roll joints), and he violently assaulted a policeman. A lawsuit is in progress to release his juvenile record (since he is deceased the record should be made public). He is a member of the Bloods and he has been booked for murder but not prosecuted. Is it smart and intelligent to use a violent sociopath to make your case?

Dope smoker? Well, I didn't know that. That's changed my view completely. No question he had it coming.

Dope smoker? Well, I didn't know that. That's changed my view completely. No question he had it coming.
dope? try thinking crack. I did not use the word dope. I did not say that he had it coming. I said that it was a dumb choice for Etan to use the gentle giant to make his point.

Last edited:
index.php

Sorry but I hate when sports figures, movie stars, social icons etc try to share their political views as if anyone really cares.

Etan plays the victimiztion card which is a rationalization for entitlements and therefore big government. Big government handouts are the opiate of the masses. How is it brave to not only go with the pandering crowd but also to incite it by making accusations contrary to a basic tenet of civilization, 'innocent until proven guilty'? I'm not impressed. I'm embarrassed.
You kind of missed the point of the article. It's about athletes taking (or not taking) social stands...

The article has nothing to do with the question of whether celebrities should voice their opinion. The thread addressed this along with whether Etan's argument is 'intelligent, courageous and honorable'. It is none of those things.

He was praised for stepping into the fray. I beg to differ. First, Etan's assertions are premature. Second, the gentle giant is a questionable character. As to whether celebs should comment, it depends on their logic, same as anyone else voicing an opinion. People get upset with celebs spouting off, as do I, but not always. For eg. Joan Rivers spoke with knowledge. I hope we have not heard the last of her.

There is a difference between courage and playing the victim. I have a female friend that is 30 years old, brought up in the wilderness but no one dances a waltz with more grace. She is a commercial fisherman and has earned her BA. She has already survived one sinking at sea. She was working on a State ferry during the winter and almost lost her when hit by a widow maker winch. The captain did not want to report it. He did not want a Coast Guard investigation. She was not medivacked and almost bled to death from internal bleeding. Went into intensive care when she finally got to the hospital when the ship came to port. Will never have full use of her right and will never be able to fish again. While she was injured the State ferry terminated her. She is making plans to go maritime college in CA and work her way through school for another 4 years. I never heard her utter a word about being a victim. That sir, is courage. Etan is just rabal rousing.

My least favorite SU player ever. He wanted to go to gtown but they didn't offer. Obv a better fit there. Notice how hes never connected with the program since he left? As a player he was a foul machine, very primitive skills. His political views childish. But because he speaks in complete sentences he's a genius with sports writers. Tiresome.

C'mon. He was a very good player. We haven't had a center as good as him since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom