Even the players were confused by the bubble screens | Syracusefan.com

Even the players were confused by the bubble screens

We'll certainly see very quickly if Trudo is right. Keeping fingers crossed.

I never really bought into the whole offense didn't understand the system thing. I never saw confusion on the field. Many plays didn't work, but to me it was always the talent in the field and poor play selection. Not confusion. I even bet we still see some bubble screens. Just not as many. Most teams use them.

I never really bought into the whole offense didn't understand the system thing. I never saw confusion on the field. Many plays didn't work, but to me it was always the talent in the field and poor play selection. Not confusion. I even bet we still see some bubble screens. Just not as many. Most teams use them.

We'd be dumb not to have them in the offense, but as Millhouse says you just have to know how to count (and also know when the corners are playing off).

Notre Dame bubble screened us to death last year. Because we gave it to them. Although to their credit every pass went forward. Ours often had backwards passes.

I mean, optimistically, sure I hope everyone is on the same page, and the offense makes more sense to everyone. But this certainly isn't our first rodeo with this type of article or commentary from players. Could have dusted off what was written with every offensive coordinator change we've ever had. It's SOP in these situations.

It didn't sound like they were confused in their role in the play, rather confused as to why the play was being called, which of the 4 calls were made and why, and why they were blocking the way they were.

We'd be dumb not to have them in the offense, but as Millhouse says you just have to know how to count (and also know when the corners are playing off).

Notre Dame bubble screened us to death last year. Because we gave it to them. Although to their credit every pass went forward. Ours often had backwards passes.

I mean, optimistically, sure I hope everyone is on the same page, and the offense makes more sense to everyone. But this certainly isn't our first rodeo with this type of article or commentary from players. Could have dusted off what was written with every offensive coordinator change we've ever had. It's SOP in these situations.

I'm beginning to think that McDonald was so devoted to the bubble screens because when he ran them in practice they worked brilliantly, our defense couldn't stop a bubble screen to save their life last year. McD probably thought he had an all world offense.

Maybe I'm buying into it a little too much, but from I saw over the last two seasons and have heard on the board and off, McF***it was THAT bad of an OC. I don't think Lester's offense will light the world on fire, but it'll be an improvement.

Agree. On many of the bubble screens, it looked like a call, not a read. If it was a read, we could be in for more trouble since our QB's were throwing them in situations where it wasn't an advantage for the offense.

Now, I'd buy that maybe the game plan had too many plays, or the pass routes had too many combinations, but not that the offense struggled because the QB had to choose from four plays based on a read.

sounds to me like too many players had a " vinny barbarino" mentality-

maybe if they didnt spend time thinking about why a play was called and just ran it- they might have scored

no room for a sarcasm meter for those who need one

It's hard to play fast or to execute fast if you're not certain of your responsibility.

I take Trudo and Hunt at their words - the offense just wasn't ready to play last fall.

Pyle said:
I'm beginning to think that McDonald was so devoted to the bubble screens because when he ran them in practice they worked brilliantly, our defense couldn't stop a bubble screen to save their life last year. McD probably thought he had an all world offense.

Reddish begs to differ ;).

"Despite playing 10 offensive linemen due to injuries over the course of Syracuse's 3-9 campaign, there were many plays in which the five players up front executed efficiently. All responsibilities were managed, blocks filled and time given to the skill-position players around them.

The result: a two-yard gain on a bubble screen."

it's not a big puzzle. it's no surprise the five players up front executed efficiently when one of the guys they usually need to account for is cheating out wide knowing SU would still throw a bubble.

There's no way in the world that those screens were a read. It's the easiest read ever. If guy is alone, toss it to him.

i don't think 4 reads is too much, it's not like they all happen at once. you know you're throwing the bubble before the snap. if you're deciding whether to keep or handoff, you're not thinking about passes.

i'd love for someone to explain why this offense is a better fit. it's just something people say.

i also don't come away very impressed with Joe Adam here if any of what trudo says is true.

our's go backwards because that was the only way to create space from the cornerback who knew we were going to throw the bubble... aye yi yi last year makes me crazy.

i'm not taking any pictures of my paused TV this year... i'm not i'm not i'm not

i also don't come away very impressed with Joe Adam here if any of what trudo says is true.
I was willing to give the guy a chance, but yeesh. I've heard things off-the-record that indicate he didn't do much to help the O-Line last year.

"Despite playing 10 offensive linemen due to injuries over the course of Syracuse's 3-9 campaign, there were many plays in which the five players up front executed efficiently. All responsibilities were managed, blocks filled and time given to the skill-position players around them.

The result: a two-yard gain on a bubble screen."

it's not a big puzzle. it's no surprise the five players up front executed efficiently when one of the guys they usually need to account for is cheating out wide knowing SU would still throw a bubble.

There's no way in the world that those screens were a read. It's the easiest read ever. If guy is alone, toss it to him.

i don't think 4 reads is too much, it's not like they all happen at once. you know you're throwing the bubble before the snap. if you're deciding whether to keep or handoff, you're not thinking about passes.

i'd love for someone to explain why this offense is a better fit. it's just something people say.

I don't see how the big takeaway isn't that Mcit was completely and fully a moron.

I was willing to give the guy a chance, but yeesh. I've heard things off-the-record that indicate he didn't do much to help the O-Line last year.

If you read the article - it seems like he was hamstrung by Mcit. He's worked with Lester before. And they are helping him with Moreland. It might turn out alright - but I agree that it's not a ringing endorsement.

If you read the article - it seems like he was hamstrung by Mc. . . . it. He's worked with Lester before. And they are helping him with Moreland. It might turn out alright - but I agree that it's not a ringing endorsement.

ya he worked with Lester before as defensive back coach.

anomander said:
ya he worked with Lester before as defensive back coach.

Sure. But it's not hard to see where his loyalties might lie.

"Between that new continuity and the way Lester's scheme meshes with Syracuse's personnel, Trudo believes a well-blocked play next season will yield more than a two-yard bubble screen."

I would love for someone to actually go on the record saying what Lester's scheme is and how it meshes better with Syracuse's personnel

Because if they're taking away options for Hunt to keep or toss to an open receiver, they're nuts

If you read the article - it seems like he was hamstrung by Mc. . . . it. He's worked with Lester before. And they are helping him with Moreland. It might turn out alright - but I agree that it's not a ringing endorsement.

I do think there will be addition by subtraction with the new offensive staff. But as far as Joe Adam...when I read that article, I can't help but think this is what you get when you hire an OL coach who hasn't been an OL coach before. Regardless, I do expect him to be more comfortable this year, if nothing else, and I like that we added Moreland.

Millhouse said:
"Between that new continuity and the way Lester's scheme meshes with Syracuse's personnel, Trudo believes a well-blocked play next season will yield more than a two-yard bubble screen." I would love for someone to actually go on the record saying what Lester's scheme is and how it meshes better with Syracuse's personnel Because if they're taking away options for Hunt to keep or toss to an open receiver, they're nuts

Some good stuff on that in a free article on scooot from this week... Surprised you missed it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom