Even the players were confused by the bubble screens | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Even the players were confused by the bubble screens

Reddish begs to differ ;).

He needs to beg harder, Golson and ND destroyed us with bubble screens. Golson completed 25 straight passes, went 32-39 for 360 yards and 4 TDs. We turned him over 4 times and they still scored 30+.

I was willing to give the guy a chance, but yeesh. I've heard things off-the-record that indicate he didn't do much to help the O-Line last year.

Was that the result of McF***it's direction?

If you read the article - it seems like he was hamstrung by Mc. . . . it. He's worked with Lester before. And they are helping him with Moreland. It might turn out alright - but I agree that it's not a ringing endorsement.
Was that the result of McF***it's direction?
I read the article. It reinforces the rumor I heard that Adam and McF****it didn't get along. But there was something in the Spring about older players teaching younger linemen techniques that had been taught Adkins and Perles, but not Adam.

Pyle said:
He needs to beg harder, Golson and ND destroyed us with bubble screens. Golson completed 25 straight passes, went 32-39 for 360 yards and 4 TDs. We turned him over 4 times and they still scored 30+.

That was one game and was by design. They were afraid of getting beat deep. When they started playing up and taking away the bubble we gave up a deep TD.

The rest of the year, anytime a bubble was thrown his side he destroyed it.

Millhouse said:
i haven't been to skowt in years

Well In this case you're missing the answers to your questions.

Millhouse said:
you could've just told me that the article said they're multiple. whoopdedoo.

Ug.

Millhouse said:
why does it fit their personnel better? if the answers are right there, surely you can tell me

Want to show you a screen grab of Hunt overthrowing Ben Lewis by 4 yards on a bubble...

That was one game and was by design. They were afraid of getting beat deep. When they started playing up and taking away the bubble we gave up a deep TD.

The rest of the year, anytime a bubble was thrown his side he destroyed it.
Fair enough, given the fact that Hunt broke his leg in the next game I was heavily self-medicated before kick-off the rest of the season. :confused:

Chip said:
We'd be dumb not to have them in the offense, but as Millhouse says you just have to know how to count (and also know when the corners are playing off). Notre Dame bubble screened us to death last year. Because we gave it to them. Although to their credit every pass went forward. Ours often had backwards passes. I mean, optimistically, sure I hope everyone is on the same page, and the offense makes more sense to everyone. But this certainly isn't our first rodeo with this type of article or commentary from players. Could have dusted off what was written with every offensive coordinator change we've ever had. It's SOP in these situations.

If there is no respect for the deep ball, bubble screens can be easily defended.

Pyle said:
Fair enough, given the fact that Hunt broke his leg in the next game I was heavily self-medicated before kick-off the rest of the season. :confused:

Ahh - me too. Awful season for football and my liver.

The coordinator can call the perfect play but the guys have to execute it. All of 11 of them. Awesome if the lineman blocked their tails off but if the QB throws the bubble when the correct read was the hand-off it shouldn't all fall on the coordinator. What you saw with ND was an offense that had the talent to execute and make the proper reads.

McDonald was by no means perfect and it's pretty clear he was not getting along with some other coaches but I just don't see how McDonald deserves ALL the blame. We had a 4th string QB with a patch work OL. I'm not even sure the Wing-T would have worked last year. That being said, glad the team is pumped and confident about Lester's system (whatever that may be). What else are they going to say though? I'm thinking since we hit bottom last year, it'll be VERY hard to be any worse.

If there is no respect for the deep ball, bubble screens can be easily defended.
i could be wrong but it looked to me like it was linebackers that blew up the bubble screens a lot (even if it was DBs that made the tackle). just some guy cheating from defending the run.

there had to be some kind of tells that defensive coordinators picked up on. there were so many bubble screens where SU could've easily run the ball.

i remember some ND play where the camera was behind hunt - they had hardly anyone in the box. it should've been a simple snap and qb keeper. it wasn't. somewhere there's a screen shot of it

i agree with you in general but I think it was something even worse here last year

OrangePA said:
It's hard to play fast or to execute fast if you're not certain of your responsibility. I take Trudo and Hunt at their words - the offense just wasn't ready to play last fall.

It's SOP for that to be said. The new guy is always better. Just like a new recruit.

Millhouse said:
"Despite playing 10 offensive linemen due to injuries over the course of Syracuse's 3-9 campaign, there were many plays in which the five players up front executed efficiently. All responsibilities were managed, blocks filled and time given to the skill-position players around them. The result: a two-yard gain on a bubble screen." it's not a big puzzle. it's no surprise the five players up front executed efficiently when one of the guys they usually need to account for is cheating out wide knowing SU would still throw a bubble. There's no way in the world that those screens were a read. It's the easiest read ever. If guy is alone, toss it to him. i don't think 4 reads is too much, it's not like they all happen at once. you know you're throwing the bubble before the snap. if you're deciding whether to keep or handoff, you're not thinking about passes. i'd love for someone to explain why this offense is a better fit. it's just something people say. i also don't come away very impressed with Joe Adam here if any of what trudo says is true.

He says the OL did their job. Not from my view. They were as much part of the problem. But many injuries sure didn't help. I love Trudo and his mean side, but it sounds like he is an advocate for a dumbed down offense. And if everyone is complaining about that offense and the reads and options, it's not close to what DeLeone had. We just didn't execute, had less and injured talent and made many bad play calls.

Well, sounds good. They'll get their chance to show it on the field.

That said, it seems odd to me that last year there were 4 reads. To me it often looked like plays were called and predetermined. I didn't see a whole lot of read.

This thread and that article just points to a lack of leadership/plan from Mcit (and Shafer to an extent).

People are trying to dig for complicated answers when sometimes the simple answer is the right one. A good OC has a good plan/system and can teach the players and other coaches to run it efficiently. That's not what anyone saw from where we sit - and it's no surprise that the players felt that on the field and in meeting rooms.

While I agree that they might say the positive stuff about the new offense no matter what (the what are they gonna say argument), I'm inclined to believe that they can feel a difference between the two OC and that Lester can at the very least teach his system. That alone sounds like an improvement.

I think most OL will tell you that they would prefer a downhill running scheme (former OL guys can correct me if I'm wrong) where you line up and come off at the snap and bury the guy in front of you as opposed to sprinting from sideline to sideline every play. I am fine if Lester wants to spread guys out and then hammer the ball down the defense's throat and take shots deep when they put 8 in the box.

"Despite playing 10 offensive linemen due to injuries over the course of Syracuse's 3-9 campaign, there were many plays in which the five players up front executed efficiently. All responsibilities were managed, blocks filled and time given to the skill-position players around them.

The result: a two-yard gain on a bubble screen."

it's not a big puzzle. it's no surprise the five players up front executed efficiently when one of the guys they usually need to account for is cheating out wide knowing SU would still throw a bubble.

There's no way in the world that those screens were a read. It's the easiest read ever. If guy is alone, toss it to him.

i don't think 4 reads is too much, it's not like they all happen at once. you know you're throwing the bubble before the snap. if you're deciding whether to keep or handoff, you're not thinking about passes.

i'd love for someone to explain why this offense is a better fit. it's just something people say.

i also don't come away very impressed with Joe Adam here if any of what trudo says is true.

If you are not prepared - it you are unable to think quickly under pressure because of a lack of understanding - you get two yard bubble screens.

it makes you wonder if the angles the oline was told to block really hindered making block on LB. at times when you watch plays you can see the oline is being told what level to black to and which player on D to skip over and then those players blow up the play. We were reaching on the blocks for the 3-4 the player on D which if it worked causes big plays but our skill players coudnt make the first 1-2 guys miss and the play ended up dead.

still if the maryland game goes as a win does the confidence of the team and the offense turn the season? even the FSU game there were simple plays to really make the a game and we let our selves down.. its not all on the play calling, but sometimes the play calling has to make a difference too.

it makes you wonder if the angles the oline was told to block really hindered making block on LB. at times when you watch plays you can see the oline is being told what level to black to and which player on D to skip over and then those players blow up the play. We were reaching on the blocks for the 3-4 the player on D which if it worked causes big plays but our skill players coudnt make the first 1-2 guys miss and the play ended up dead.

still if the maryland game goes as a win does the confidence of the team and the offense turn the season? even the FSU game there were simple plays to really make the a game and we let our selves down.. its not all on the play calling, but sometimes the play calling has to make a difference too.
I don't think the play called at the end of the half against Maryland was the problem. Hunt made a terrible read and the game changed in an instant. Same thing with Wilson's int against FSU. I don't think McDonald was a very good OC, but I haven't seen anything that suggest Lester will be any better. I don't think I would have bet my head coaching job on Tim Lester.

Dmcnabbrules said:
I don't think the play called at the end of the half against Maryland was the problem. Hunt made a terrible read and the game changed in an instant. Same thing with Wilson's int against FSU. I don't think McDonald was a very good OC, but I haven't seen anything that suggest Lester will be any better. I don't think I would have bet my head coaching job on Tim Lester.

Neither would I. But we have a tenth of the info and experience that Shafer does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom