Expectations for Coleman's senior season | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Expectations for Coleman's senior season

I might be crazy but I think he's going to be low man on the totem pole. Assuming they get White I think their best offensive lineup is going to feature Lydon (Howard/Gillum, Battle, White, Roberson) at the 5 (especially if we run as much as everyone says) and Paschal will be starting so I think he's going to be playing 8-12 minutes max.

If he would learn to use his broad shoulders the way AO did, it wouldn't matter that he has no spring left in his legs.

But that hasn't happened in 4 years so I don't expect it to happen this year. Still love him for his hard work

Assuming the projected lineup holds, it'll be like Keita's senior year, not a ton of tangible improvement, significant cut in minutes, fan favorite when he does something positive. After years of work and experience, though, he'll be our most sound defensive center.

I just hope we run a little and can see some nice highlight-reel outlet passes from Coleman.

I think at the end of the year he will either fade away into obscurity, or decide to become a coach. I'd bet on the latter.

The player who comes to mind when I read your post is Danny Schayes. He toiled in relative obscurity for 3 years, and then had a monster senior year, parlaying that into being a 1st round pick and a long NBA career. Please note, I'm not saying DC is going to have that kind of year. But big senior year turnarounds do happen. Not often at all, but they do.
Wasn't a turnaround, it was a coming out party. He was behind Roosevelt Bouie until his senior year.

I think at the end of the year he will either fade away into obscurity, or decide to become a coach. I'd bet on the latter.

One thing I will say about Coleman: although his career hasn't been impressive in terms of his production considering that he was an McD's all American, the kid has showed a great attitude.

Lots of players would have hung 'em up after suffering so many injuries, especially the last set of surgeries, but he persevered and fought his way back onto the court. This was a chubby kid who lost FIFTY POUNDS even when he couldn't do cardio while recovering from his last surgery. Think about that for a second. I doubt anybody would have batted an eye if he'd GAINED 50 pounds when he couldn't run; instead, this kid dropped the weight and kept it off, and was a better player for it last year.

Coleman also attacked his rehab with the type of work ethic and determination you don't often see. If the trainers told him to walk on the water treadmill for 20 minutes, he did an hour. If they told him to stretch for 30 minutes, he did triple.

Although he might not have transformed into the player the coaching staff might have hoped when they recruited him, I know from a source close to the program that the coaching staff was impressed as hell with how hard he worked to claw his way back to where he could be a contributor, and they appreciate him as a good locker room presence, too.

Kid has worked his a$$ off to get back out on the court, and been a part of two final four teams. Here's hoping he goes out with a bang this year.

One thing I will say about Coleman: although his career hasn't been impressive in terms of his production considering that he was an McD's all American, the kid has showed a great attitude.

Lots of players would have hung 'em up after suffering so many injuries, especially the last set of surgeries, but he persevered and fought his way back onto the court. This was a chubby kid who lost FIFTY POUNDS even when he couldn't do cardio while recovering from his last surgery. Think about that for a second. I doubt anybody would have batted an eye if he'd GAINED 50 pounds when he couldn't run; instead, this kid dropped the weight and kept it off, and was a better player for it last year.

Coleman also attacked his rehab with the type of work ethic and determination you don't often see. If the trainers told him to walk on the water treadmill for 20 minutes, he did an hour. If they told him to stretch for 30 minutes, he did triple.

Although he might not have transformed into the player the coaching staff might have hoped when they recruited him, I know from a source close to the program that the coaching staff was impressed as hell with how hard he worked to claw his way back to where he could be a contributor, and they appreciate him as a good locker room presence, too.

Kid has worked his a$$ off to get back out on the court, and been a part of two final four teams. Here's hoping he goes out with a bang this year.

Totally agree, I don't have very high expectations for him this year after what I've seen the last 3 years or whatever but I'm definitely rooting real hard for him. Seems like a real good kid.

[QUOTE="Kid has worked his a$$ off to get back out on the court, and been a part of two final four teams. Here's hoping he goes out with a bang this year.[/QUOTE]

If we make the FF this year then he would be on 3 FF teams. Perhaps that will be his legacy.

Exactly what I'm told. Very few kids work as hard as he has.

Which is why I think it's very unlikely that anyone else will get a start at center this year. Coleman might not play heavy minutes, but they think he's earned the introduction and the honor that comes with starting.

I expect 5 &4, great attitude and work ethic, probably a leader off the court, and a higher percentage of his shots blocked than any SU player since Paul Harris. DC2 could be part of a very useful center platoon with Chukwu.

We are a system program, and DC2's physique and skills don't match our system AT ALL. Centers need to be rangy so they can step up almost to the foul line, and also cover for forwards leaping out on wing shooters, and they need to be rim protectors because our zone allows penetration from the corner and wings. DC2 doesn't fit that model, just like Harris didn't and just like DayShaun Wright didn't.

Wasn't a turnaround, it was a coming out party. He was behind Roosevelt Bouie until his senior year.
Yeah, I know. But I also saw him play those other 3 years. I was in attendance for all of them. It was a turnaround. Or maybe better stated, Danny coming in to his own.

I expect 5 &4, great attitude and work ethic, probably a leader off the court, and a higher percentage of his shots blocked than any SU player since Paul Harris. DC2 could be part of a very useful center platoon with Chukwu.

We are a system program, and DC2's physique and skills don't match our system AT ALL. Centers need to be rangy so they can step up almost to the foul line, and also cover for forwards leaping out on wing shooters, and they need to be rim protectors because our zone allows penetration from the corner and wings. DC2 doesn't fit that model, just like Harris didn't and just like DayShaun Wright didn't.
I think the system thing gets a little overplayed sometimes. AO didn't fit the long rangy mold and that team was NC caliber prior to the injury. GMac wasn't a tall long guard. JB is able to plug different guys into his system and adapt. When he started relying on the zone more in the mid '90's it was out of necessity because we were undersized and not very athletic (Marius Janulis at the 3 anyone).

Back to topic. I say DC2 is more consistent than last year looking like he did at the end of the year when he seemed to get comfortable. 8 and 6 would make me ecstatic, so I'll go with that.

Last edited:
I don't have many real expectations, but here are a few things I would like to see that don't require a jump in skills. I am also not big into counting stats because they are highly determined based on minutes. I just want him to improve on a few things so he is more efficient when called to be on the floor:

- His shot mix last year was an "Easy" shot mix. 54% FG on that shot mix is way too low -- he has to push it to 60% if he keeps that shot mix. (if usage changes then that jump is not necessary... but with the new talent that came in during the summer I don't think there will be a demand for more usage)

- His turnover % last year was horrible. He just needs to have a little more confidence when he gets the ball down low and be ready to kick it out more safely. Reduce that turnover %.

Last edited:
I remember Christmas, after a disappointing carer, started to come on late in his junior season. As a senior he was a totally different player than we were used to on offense and on the boards. Ironically he couldn't play aggressive on defense, his former forte, because we had no one behind him.

I don't really expect that from Coleman, who is a different type of player and less mobile, even if his knees are in better shape than before. But he could also become a consistent contributor this year for the first time in his career. I'd like to see if he's learned, as AO did, to use his big body to block drives to the basket. if he can do that, score some and rebound for us, it will help a lot.

The real interesting question is how JB will use Coleman and Chukwu, two entirely different centers with different bodies and skill sets. I still wonder if he'll have a different lineup for each: outside shooters for Coleman because we'll be in the half-court game a lot and the guys who can get out and run for Chukwu because that's what we'll be doing when he's in there.

I think Coleman is going to have a great year. I thought that he played well at the end of last year. With a full off season to get stronger and play i expect this to be his best year. He transformed his body and is as strong as a bull. He is also a leader. He will start you can bet the house on that and i believe he has a very good year

I would take one 5 minute stretch in games that he showed a couple of times where he was a complete beast. Scoring a few baskets on moves/drives. Rebound every missed shot. Play great position defense. Recognize pressure on himself and pass to the open man. Once a game is enough to make the opposition play him honest and being afraid that that stretch might, just might go on for 10 minutes. Or 15 Or 20. That's enough.

Offense:
6.5 ppg
... this would be excellent, b/c I think he'll have fewer minutes (so greater efficiency).
Improved b2b game, since he's coming into the season healthy and will be able to elevate his game rather than trying to get back to square one.
I'd be happy to see him hit one or two 8-10 foot elbow shots -- which he can do.
15 minutes (maybe) .. he averaged only 17.5 last even though he had no (true C) backup. No way he averages 20 with Chukwu, TT and TL.
Fewer TO's by keeping the ball off the deck on the low block.

Defense:
Not a rim protector, so he needs to have better footwork and start setting position to draw charges rather thank arm-raking (i.e, smart bb).

Rebounding:
6 rpg would be efficient, again with fewer minutes.

Last edited:
Offense:
6.5 ppg
... this would be excellent, b/c I think he'll have fewer minutes (so greater efficiency).
Improved b2b game, since he's coming into the season healthy and will be able to elevate his game rather than trying to get back to square one.
I'd be happy to see him hit one or two 8-10 foot elbow shots -- which he can do.
15 minutes (maybe) .. he averaged only 17.5 last even though he had no (true C) backup. No way he averages 20 with Chukwu, TT and TL.

Defense:
Not a rim protector, so he needs to have better footwork and start setting position to draw charges rather thank arm-raking (i.e, smart bb).

Rebounding:

i think these numbers are accurate, I'm hoping that after a full summer of basketball work (not rehabbing and worrying about injuries) and knowing that this is his final season and his last chance he seizes this opportunity, he's going to be a 5th year senior and is a grown man playing against younger competition for the most part. He could come up huge for us in a lot of games and i cant remember wanting a guy on cuse to succeed more than him.

i think these numbers are accurate, I'm hoping that after a full summer of basketball work (not rehabbing and worrying about injuries) and knowing that this is his final season and his last chance he seizes this opportunity, he's going to be a 5th year senior and is a grown man playing against younger competition for the most part. He could come up huge for us in a lot of games and i cant remember wanting a guy on cuse to succeed more than him.
Not sure if you or RF saw this, but I really felt that, in the last 15 games of the season, he was making the most of his minutes and really contributing. Most of it was using his body better -- guy is really massive out there, even at a "svelt" 250+. His strength is back, and when he sets his mind to it, he can just clear people out of the lane.

This season, I'm hoping his low-post OFFENSE returns. He hasn't had rehab to slow him down. He's healthy, he's strong, his weight is good. I think his wind is better after last year's FF run. Now let's see if:

1. He can start getting getting better position. On D, instead of silly arm-rakes, he needs to establish position and take some charges. This is perfect for him, since he's not an above-the-rim eraser.

2. On O, as I said b/f, I want to see that low block offense we know he has in his tool box. The baby hook, the drop step, the elbow jumper .. maybe even an up and under move. My guess is he's working with Hop on this as we speak.

Last edited:
2. On O, as I said b/f, I want to see that low block offense we know he has in his tool box. The baby hook, the drop step, the elbow jumper .. maybe even an up and under move. My guess is he's working with Hop on this as we speak.

Would love to see Olajuwon in Orange myself.

Would love to see Olajuwon in Orange myself.
lol, not asking that much. He has a baby hook (I've seen it). He also has a drop step ... and he has an elbow jumper. So he has all these tools, just needs to get the rust off. Maybe it's finally time for him to explode now that his rehab's behind him and he can focus on improving. That started to show in the final third of the season.

Offense:
6.5 ppg

Defense:

Rebounding:

I would post my expectations but you nailed what I was thinking. I think 6 and 6 is about what we'll see, but an improved defensive performance and being a guy that JB can truly go to in certain matchups against certain teams in crunch time would be significant improvement. Definitely a guy you root for.

Not sure if you or RF saw this, but I really felt that, in the last 15 games of the season, he was making the most of his minutes and really contributing. Most of it was using his body better -- guy is really massive out there, even at a "svelt" 250+. His strength is back, and when he sets his mind to it, he can just clear people out of the lane.

This season, I'm hoping his low-post OFFENSE returns. He hasn't had rehab to slow him down. He's healthy, he's strong, his weight is good. I think his wind is better after last year's FF run. Now let's see if:

1. He can start getting getting better position. On D, instead of silly arm-rakes, he needs to establish position and take some charges. This is perfect for him, since he's not an above-the-rim eraser.

Ive seen him take the jumper before and i think with confidence he can knock it down, he had a really nice spin move vs pitt in the ACCT n demonstrated the kind of footwork and athleticism he has, i think with confidence overall heading into this season he can surprise us even more. Just look at his free throws you can tell he can shoot it better than a lot of big guys we had, that one stretch against FSU proves he can put the ball in the basket he just needs to do it more consistently, he also has a nice drop stop but again he needs to be confident in his moves, not over dribble and to use the baby hook he has as well

Also when he does well it defiantly seems to give the team a lift, everyone seems to be more energized and emotional when he scores compared to everyone else

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom