Class of 2017 - Hameir Wright (NY) to Washington | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 Hameir Wright (NY) to Washington

Unless our staff gets shaken up, does anyone feel like we're wasting time pursuing 5-star talent at this point?

Unless our staff gets shaken up, does anyone feel like we're wasting time pursuing 5-star talent at this point?
Nope. It is worth the pursuit, but they have to cast a wider net, so as to not get played again. Not every kid is looking for a payday. It is worth establishing the relationship and continuing to pursue, so long as the kid seems receptive.

Not when Hop and Red are the lead recruiters.
Not trying to put you on the spot, but is the implication that Gerry should only be given low-hanging fruit? Given his body of work over the last few years, it's not a crazy notion.

Not trying to put you on the spot, but is the implication that Gerry should only be given low-hanging fruit? Given his body of work over the last few years, it's not a crazy notion.
You don't get into the recruiting game as an assistant and start landing premier five star talent left and right. It takes time and years to build up credibility and solid relationships with the power players behind the scenes. Hop and Red both have over 10 years of putting in work landing, developing, and building relationships with top players and coaches from numerous programs. GMac is working hard to get there and hopefully it'll happen in due time. He has proven that he can help land the back end under the radar top 100 talent, it's the five star guys that I think he'll have his struggles with at this point. Which is why I prefer Hop and Red to take charge in that department.

You don't get into the recruiting game as an assistant and start landing premier five star talent left and right. It takes time and years to build up credibility and solid relationships with the power players behind the scenes. Hop and Red both have over 10 years of putting in work landing, developing, and building relationships with top players and coaches from numerous programs. GMac is working hard to get there and hopefully it'll happen in due time. He has proven that he can help land the back end under the radar top 100 talent, it's the five star guys that I think he'll have his struggles with at this point. Which is why I prefer Hop and Red to take charge in that department.
Appreciate the candor. Everything you said makes complete sense. Given the list of recruits assigned to Gerry, however, the staff appears to view things differently. This has me quite concerned, and the timing couldn't be any worse.

Appreciate the candor. Everything you said makes complete sense. Given the list of recruits assigned to Gerry, however, the staff appears to view things differently. This has me quite concerned, and the timing couldn't be any worse.
Completely understand the apprehension as the results speak for themselves. Gerry may be lacking in skills and connections at this point in his career, but Hop and especially JB, aren't. The real blame should be on them. Nothing wrong with a few more phone calls from someone other than Gerry. Need to reach out more and show some love! And no more of this monogamous relationship crap! Gotta cast a bigger net!

Completely understand the apprehension as the results speak for themselves. Gerry may be lacking in skills and connections at this point in his career, but Hop and especially JB, aren't. The real blame should be on them. Nothing wrong with a few more phone calls from someone other than Gerry. Need to reach out more and show some love! And no more of this monogamous relationship crap! Gotta cast a bigger net!
Dean or Jake or any other insider can correct me if I am wrong, but there is nothing more that Jerry could have done with Quade. It wasn't a question of commitment on our part.

Dean or Jake or any other insider can correct me if I am wrong, but there is nothing more that Jerry could have done with Quade. It wasn't a question of commitment on our part.
While quade brings gerry's resume under the microscope, this is about the bigger picture and not any one outcome.

Quade's HS coach said exactly that, when he kinda tipped QG's decision shortly before he 'officially' announced it.

He said something like, "whatever Quade ends up deciding, it wasn't because of anything that Coach GMac did or didn't do"

I get that. I guess I should have phrased it as, not a knock at Gerry's skills, Gerry just doesn't have the reputation outside of Cuse yet. No matter how much we love him, he's not Cal and the bright lights of UK, which are tough for these kids to turn down. I believe the more he stays in the game the better reputation he's going to develop as a recruiter. It was more meant to take the heat off of Gerry, and direct it where it belongs, towards the guys in charge, Hop and JB.

And I'm not upset at all about Gerry losing out on Quade. My bigger issue is JB going after one guy and one guy only. I get it, show the kid love. But we gotta tell him, we love your game, but we love our program more!

JB and HOP have lost 5 star players over the years (Sam Perkins, Kenny Anderson, and Thomas Bryant for example). It goes with the territory. JB could have given Green all of his attention but I still think he goes to Kentucky. The mistake was not reading Green correctly until it was too late (got to know your recruit's "tells"). Moral of the story: don't put all the eggs in one basket and a commitment is not a commitment until the signature is on the dotted line. Generally no one recruit is that important to a program (other than Michael Vick but that's another story!).

As I said on my pod last month, the blame on Quade could go both ways. Quade for stringing us along for so long when it seemed like he was always fishing for something bigger. Our staff or whoever made the call to ditch all the other options and not hit him with a hard deadline to either commit or we'll just move on. Jose Alvarado was in play for GMac and Red could've pushed harder for Matt Coleman or Isaiah Washington if we had decided to stop playing the Dog and Pony show with Quade. Trevon Duval is the only PG in this class that was worth going all in for and ignoring everybody else.

As I said on my pod last month, the blame on Quade could go both ways. Quade for stringing us along for so long when it seemed like he was always fishing for something bigger. Our staff or whoever made the call to ditch all the other options and not hit him with a hard deadline to either commit or we'll just move on. Jose Alvarado was in play for GMac and Red could've pushed harder for Matt Coleman or Isaiah Washington if we had decided to stop playing the Dog and Pony show with Quade. Trevon Duval is the only PG in this class that was worth going all in for and ignoring everybody else.
Isaiah Washington is the one that bums me out. I feel like that was a good match of program and player and it seemed he was pretty into being here.

Hameir Wright, a 6-7 senior at The Albany (NY) Academy, plans to attend Brewster (N.H.) Academy, City Rocks coach Jim Hartconfirmed. “I’d say Syracuse and Maryland are working the hardest,” he said. “UCLA, Michigan State and Notre Dame” have come on.

Not too big of a deal for him to stay in 2018 as long as he's with City Rocks and Brewster. SU's front court is pretty solid for next season (especially if Battle sticks around). Ayala is the bigger reclass catch.