Fab Melo on academic problems | Syracusefan.com

Fab Melo on academic problems

Fab Melo explains issues, but apparently ESPN didn't care to cover the explanation in its article. When I saw that headline on ESPN.com I thought the article was going to contain a Searching for Billy Edelin kind of revelation and provide the answer to one of an SU Basketball Fan's more perplexing questions.

What the "F" did you screw up to get suspended at the point in the season you did?

"Melo says team officials appear to be "comfortable" with his answers, and that he still expects to be drafted in the first round though not among the first 14 picks."

- Do teams really I care? I know issues at school (discipline) can be tied to character issues, but it seems his were all academic...so in this case teams care whether he will be risk talent-wise...

He does say both suspensions were for academic reasons. Then of course he also says there was nothing he could do about it. REALLY Fab??? Nothing you could do? Nothing occurs to you that could have helped prevent academic suspension?

I don't like his excuse that he's still new to the game (and so there is room to improve). That is an excuse, not a reason- at least to me. Yes, he lacks the number of years playing that others have had but if he's that talented he should have made up for it. I'm all sour grapes though- I feel entirely let down by him bailing on his team through non-effort in the classroom. If I were a GM I'd be vary wary. If I were a GM then I'd probably be very bad at it too.

REALLY Fab??? Nothing you could do? Nothing occurs to you that could have helped prevent academic suspension?

Hey Fab...how about you put the beer down and go to class. That might have helped.

I would rather have had Melo most of the season then only having Rak and Baye.
Some people fail to even contemplate that.

People fail out of college all the time. If Fab had a tougher time because he was from overseas then why couldn't the university find a way around that? We don't know that the university was willing to try to.

Syracuse basketball has so much family in it.
No offense but the other players on the team including the coaches aren't and never did throw Fab under the bus.
Fab was our best center prosect of the last 10 years. I am pretty happy with that.

People fail out of college all the time. If Fab had a tougher time because he was from overseas then why couldn't the university find a way around that? We don't know that the university was willing to try to.

People do fail out of college all the time. Most people don't have the support system set up that Fab Melo did.

I obviously don't know the particulars, but I find it pretty impossible to believe that Fab was making an honest effort to stay eligible. An athlete like him is going to get every benefit of the doubt, I have to think. If he merely showed up to class and made any kind of reasonable effort, I'm pretty sure he would've stayed eligible.

I think the moment he decided he was entering the draft he completely gave up on school. I could be wrong and probably am, but that is my opinion.

I think the moment he decided he was entering the draft he completely gave up on school. I could be wrong and probably am, but that is my opinion.

I feel the same...and I posted it last fall when Fab was obviously not the Fab from his freshman year.

I would bet this is almost certainly the case

I feel the same...and I posted it last fall when Fab was obviously not the Fab from his freshman year.

I would bet this is almost certainly the case

there is a lot more to it than that . . . I've been told that Fab was the victim of some things that were not really in his control. Sorry I can't share more, but I don't hold the outcome of the season entirely against him.

AT - HawksPRGuy (@HawksPRGuy)
6/23/12 11:46 AM
Fab Melo was taken to doctor's office to check L elbow after getting it banged up in a drill with another player. Not believed 2 be serious.

Good thing ESPN took the time to bring up the Bernie Fine allegations again and not really give any insight into Fab Melo's issues.

there is a lot more to it than that . . . I've been told that Fab was the victim of some things that were not really in his control. Sorry I can't share more, but I don't hold the outcome of the season entirely against him.
Thanks for sharing at least that. That helps explain JB's comments and demeanor as the lynch mobs were forming in the aftermath of "Fab Ineligible II."

I haven't been on the board for a while so I apologize if this has already been posted, but I heard from an extremely reliable source that the reason he was suspended was that he was caught having a girl do his work for him...

Thanks for sharing at least that. That helps explain JB's comments and demeanor as the lynch mobs were forming in the aftermath of "Fab Ineligible II."
Mocqui
Heard the same thing. Uncomfortable sharing it, but ask people to realize there could be factors they would not think of.

there is a lot more to it than that . . . I've been told that Fab was the victim of some things that were not really in his control.

Only from an oversight standpoint.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Only from an oversight standpoint.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Do you mean it was something like the basketball staff didn't catch the fact that he was registered for and attending Fingerpainting 101 which was only 1 credit, when he needed to be registered for and pass Long Slow Strokes 201 for 3 credits in order to be making sufficient progress to stay eligible?

I am sorry but I have little to no sympathy for this kid. He didn't exactly try to help his situation with going to Chucks pretty much every day and even had the nerve to go there after the Wisconsin game. Wasn't Baye in a similar circumstance? Came here from a foreign country had to learn english and adapt and you don't see him pulling this stuff. I understand it was hard to adapt to the environment for Fab but the kid was not helping himself at all.

Im sure there were many other players, who did just as poorly or maybe even worse academically but were covered up for or never found out in this past year. Fab was at the wrong school at the wrong time with all the insane scrutiny on the program. Thats my opionion. Every top program with top recruits have players like this, yet somehow they are never suspended. Fab Melo is the first star player I have heard of being suspended for academic issues in as long as I can remember.

Im sure there were many other players, who did just as poorly or maybe even worse academically but were covered up for or never found out in this past year. Fab was at the wrong school at the wrong time with all the insane scrutiny on the program. Thats my opionion. Every top program with top recruits have players like this, yet somehow they are never suspended. Fab Melo is the first star player I have heard of being suspended for academic issues in as long as I can remember.

Hmm, I feel like there must've been players this has happened to, but I do admit off the top of my head I can't think of any specific examples.

Or we could have been like North Carolina and made up classes to put our players in so they'd all have 4.0's.