Fab Melo on academic problems | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Fab Melo on academic problems

People do fail out of college all the time. Most people don't have the support system set up that Fab Melo did.

I obviously don't know the particulars, but I find it pretty impossible to believe that Fab was making an honest effort to stay eligible. An athlete like him is going to get every benefit of the doubt, I have to think. If he merely showed up to class and made any kind of reasonable effort, I'm pretty sure he would've stayed eligible.
It's hard to know exactly why he failed, but it is clear that the players have a very strong support system at their disposal. From what I've heard, it's 'study table' on steroids. There are computers and other academic resources available, along with tutorial assistance and academic monitoring for every player. There is even a web-based system to help athletes with personal finance questions (Life Skills). This is all on top of the University's internal academic support program.

At the end of the day, however, tutors can't take tests or attend class for the players. They have to make the effort.

When you have people rooting for you and pushing you more should be expected. We all were doing that for Fab.

Reguardless. He will always be orange.

I'm past it. It's not going to give us a W against Ohio State, just wish him the best and move on.

I'm past it. It's not going to give us a W against Ohio State, just wish him the best and move on.

I think we get past OSU, if not any farther. But I agree, time to move on.

I think we get past OSU, if not any farther. But I agree, time to move on.

Well yeah, that's a different story. I meant finding out all the details behind Fab's suspension won't change anything.

Here we have a guy for whom English wasn't his first language, had known character issues, and by all accounts really enjoyed Marshall Street. And he was ruled academically ineligible. What is there to find out?

I've said this before, but all the chest thumping about how as a fan base we don't remember Melo and how we disgraced us and so on is really counterproductive.

Root for the guy! If he succeeds as a pro it reflects positively on the program.

The only way that the Melo situation helps us is if he has a good career. If he doesn't it's another negative. When you add two negatives it doesn't make a positive, you only get a positive when you multiply two negatives. That's impossible in this case.

Am I rambling? I started rambling, huh?

I've said this before, but all the chest thumping about how as a fan base we don't remember Melo and how we disgraced us and so on is really counterproductive.

Root for the guy! If he succeeds as a pro it reflects positively on the program.

The only way that the Melo situation helps us is if he has a good career. If he doesn't it's another negative. When you add two negatives it doesn't make a positive, you only get a positive when you multiply two negatives. That's impossible in this case.

Am I rambling? I started rambling, huh?
You're not rambling, it's a good point not to hate on Fab. It's just disappointing, because his suspension (at least the first one) was entirely preventable and it's the second time in 3 years we have lost the centerpiece of a loaded team just before the tournament.

Whatever the mystery cause of the second suspension was, while Fab was on the court, it was great to watch him develop. Once he started figuring it out (a few flashes his first year and most of his soph season), he had stretches where he would take over the paint. The defensive zone, played well, can be formidable. But played well with a 7 footer in the middle, it can be a monster.

No more. In fact, we might face a zone anchored by a 7 footer when we play Fried Chicken U -- they'll be top 5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom