Face guard | Syracusefan.com

Face guard

20Plus

I hate when our staff justifies and simplifies face guarding. I've never been able to understand that whether it was talking about the way certain opponent would defended Cooney or now White.

This program acts like if the opponent is trying to take a player out there's nothing we can do but play four on four.

As if it was that simple to take a player out of the game. Would it be as rare as it actually is if it was as simplistic as the coaches make it sound.

I hate when our staff justifies and simplifies face guarding. I've never been able to understand that whether it was talking about the way certain opponent would defended Cooney or now White.

This program acts like if the opponent is trying to take a player out there's nothing we can do but play four on four.

As if it was that simple to take a player out of the game. Would it be as rare as it actually is if it was as simplistic as the coaches make it sound.
Maybe they need an up to date rule book that spells out that it is legal to set an off the ball screen.

In my younger days, there were certain players I would face-guard. If they got the ball, they would score, so don't let them get the ball. If done effectively, it works.

Give me a break
If that was true you can play a box zone and one which JB always calls of junk defense that doesn't work. That's the same voice contradicting himself

If that was true you can play a box zone and one which JB always calls of junk defense that doesn't work. That's the same voice contradicting himself
Also if it was so simple maybe we should've done that against BC

I didn't suggest that we do it, but if an opposing team is playing man-to-man defense and one of their players covers our guy between the man and ball, instead of between the man and basket, our guy doesn't get the ball much. The case could be made that this is the fault of our player for not using a pick and cutting to the hoop.

In general, this team does let the defense dictate what we do and it's annoying, especially when you consider the offensive firepower we should have.

There's the old motto of 'take what the defense gives you'. Well, you can also tell the defense to f*** off and deal with the fact that you're going to do what you want to do. We do neither. Sometimes the team gets lucky and throws the ball in the basket on accident a few times a game.

In my younger days, there were certain players I would face-guard. If they got the ball, they would score, so don't let them get the ball. If done effectively, it works.

You been reading my mail! :D

But seriously, it was a lot of hard work, and I got run off on a lot of screens, some illegal, some just rough. But getting open against a tough defender is part of the game. If you can't do it, just sit down. Otherwise, stop crying and work harder than the defender. Like JJ Redick did.

This thread has the rare trifecta of replies to one's self. Not often seen in these here parts.

Our picks off the ball are so bad. It's more of just a show. We don't wait for the pick to be set, don't run right off the guy's shoulder, don't do anything fundamentally right.

This is how Trevor Cooney became neutralized. All teams had to do was put someone near him and he came a decoy or would take a bad shot.

Our offensive philosophy is so easy to defend. To shut us down it requires having P5 athletes and just coaching them to give effort. The effort level comes from the opposing coach.
Our players on offense require themselves working 1 on 1 or making shots. We don't have much motion and outside of Rak's Sr. year we haven't had post offense.

This thread has the rare trifecta of replies to one's self. Not often seen in these here parts.

Our picks off the ball are so bad. It's more of just a show. We don't wait for the pick to be set, don't run right off the guy's shoulder, don't do anything fundamentally right.

I'll add to this list that our cutters rarely read the screen properly anyway, so they become worthless.

Gillon ran off a down screen in the second half against VT. His defender cheated up the lane to get around the screen. Instead of bumping to the corner--the proper read--Gillon cut straight to the wing area above the free-throw line. Though he caught the pass, his defender was in great position to defend him. This suggests:
  • a lack of communication between cutter and screener
  • that Gillon was unaware of his defender's actions
  • that Gillon didn't know what the proper read should be
  • some combination of these
Regardless of the cause, the end result is a missed scoring chance. At least the players are consistent; they also rarely set and use ball screens well.

Clearly has his priorities in disarray. How can anyone be on here that long without amassing numbers like I do? Oh wait, he probably has some kind of real job...

I should probably look at things before I post.
Never apologize for posting a lot. You're doing noble work here.

Run like a chicken with your head cut off like Cooney, tire yourself out and then throw up some prayers to be answered

I can't tell. Is this in reference to offensive scheme or post count?
It is a reference of what happened when a team decided to put a guy on Cooney.
He became shutdown and would run around trying to get open.
To defend Cooney all the opponent had to do was put a guy on him and not give him space.

It is a reference of what happened when a team decided to put a guy on Cooney.
He became shutdown and would run around trying to get open.
To defend Cooney all the opponent had to do was put a guy on him and not give him space.

Thank you Alsacs for this explanation

Box and one is great in high school. Generally doesn't work the higher you go.

I couldn't believe it. Did he give himself likes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom