Fall Ball 2015 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Fall Ball 2015

5 goals against Towson is concerning. Staff has there work cut out for them. Dissapointing the O didn't show better but a lot of youth after losing 5 of 6 starters
Now that we have the highlights it looks like the goalie stood on his head. Tons of open looks, just couldn't bury them. I wouldn't worry, just yet.

Now that we have the highlights it looks like the goalie stood on his head. Tons of open looks, just couldn't bury them. I wouldn't worry, just yet.

Agreed, I wouldn't say I was/am worried but 5 goals for a Syracuse team in any sort of game always raises a question or two.

I think there's plenty of talent for this team to score a lot of goals but I worry about trying to replace Rice and Galasso. I don't see anyone as of yet who can takeover those roles.

I hope to have a post up later this week outlining my thoughts.

Any word/updates on Forkin? I haven't seen him mentioned in a single write-up or seen him in any video this fall. One of our goalies was wearing #26 against the alumni. Is he still in the student directory?

Any word/updates on Forkin? I haven't seen him mentioned in a single write-up or seen him in any video this fall. One of our goalies was wearing #26 against the alumni. Is he still in the student directory?
No, he is not

No, he is not
Appreciate the info. I thought Forkin showed quite a bit of promise as a RFr. last year. Though he only played in mop-up time, he seemed to make something happen every time he saw the field. I recall multiple physical, aggressive dodges & finishes. What stood out to me most was his tenacity and hustle on the ride...something our attackmen have lacked for a few years.

Random observation: He'd be the 3rd of our 6 2013 UA AA's to leave the program along with Maltz & Ferrigan. Also lost McGinley & Wyrick from that class (obviously for vastly different reasons).

Appreciate the info. I thought Forkin showed quite a bit of promise as a RFr. last year. Though he only played in mop-up time, he seemed to make something happen every time he saw the field. I recall multiple physical, aggressive dodges & finishes. What stood out to me most was his tenacity and hustle on the ride...something our attackmen have lacked for a few years.

Random observation: He'd be the 3rd of our 6 2013 UA AA's to leave the program along with Maltz & Ferrigan. Also lost McGinley & Wyrick from that class (obviously for vastly different reasons).
Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't, I guess. :noidea:

So Forkin is gone? That is not good I really liked him

Cant wait for the season. Anybody have any predictions of what the starting lineup will look like?

Cant wait for the season. Anybody have any predictions of what the starting lineup will look like?
attack - Evans, Donahue, Marino
mid - Barber, simmons, and most likely westin, but not so sure on that
def mullins mcdermott, and since mellen has gotten a lot of praise and started with ill toss him in
lsm Firman, Fusco. Didnt hear alot about Bomberry so maybe he gets so run
Goalie - Hill

I was fortunate enough to see a lot of fall scrimmages and workouts this fall. Below are the best players that I saw in person, by position.

G Warren Hill, Sr., Syracuse

Gave up one goal with around 15 saves in three quarters against Navy. Looked good on shots from in close and from the outside.

D Nick Mellen, Fr., Syracuse

West Genesee (N.Y.) product looked very composed on-ball and off-ball. Expect the Orange to be vastly improved on defense this year.

A Dylan Donahue, Sr., Syracuse

Two goals and two assists against Navy while being defended by junior Chris Fennell, one of the best in the college game. Heavily involved in running the offense but also found ways to be a factor off-ball too. Wasn’t as effective against Towson.

I was fortunate enough to see a lot of fall scrimmages and workouts this fall. Below are the best players that I saw in person, by position.

G Warren Hill, Sr., Syracuse

Gave up one goal with around 15 saves in three quarters against Navy. Looked good on shots from in close and from the outside.

D Nick Mellen, Fr., Syracuse

West Genesee (N.Y.) product looked very composed on-ball and off-ball. Expect the Orange to be vastly improved on defense this year.

A Dylan Donahue, Sr., Syracuse

Two goals and two assists against Navy while being defended by junior Chris Fennell, one of the best in the college game. Heavily involved in running the offense but also found ways to be a factor off-ball too. Wasn’t as effective against Towson.

One thing Donahue will have to do this season is take that next step forward and becoming an elite player. As good as he has been his first three years he does have games where he dissapears. As the go to guy now he has to be there every game regardless of matchup or opponent or Defensive style he is facing.

One thing Donahue will have to do this season is take that next step forward and becoming an elite player. As good as he has been his first three years he does have games where he dissapears. As the go to guy now he has to be there every game regardless of matchup or opponent or Defensive style he is facing.
I agree he does need to take the next step, but isn't the reason that Desko brought in Mariano is to be the QB of the offense? I think he can do that aptly and fill in and take over for Kevin Rice.

Maybe it is revisionist history but I don't recall many times that Donahue disappeared during games. He is the one position where there is very little to worry in my opinion. What exactly is the next step for him? I mean his numbers are solid. When we needed him to score he seems to step up the majority of the time. He creates his own shot if needed. He is a very strong finisher and accurate shooter. I know that there is always room for improvement but I think that to say he goes stretches with little production is kind of insulting to our best returning player who gives everything to our offense.

In the lax.com highlights of the Navy game and Warren Hill looked lights out.

Maybe it is revisionist history but I don't recall many times that Donahue disappeared during games. He is the one position where there is very little to worry in my opinion. What exactly is the next step for him? I mean his numbers are solid. When we needed him to score he seems to step up the majority of the time. He creates his own shot if needed. He is a very strong finisher and accurate shooter. I know that there is always room for improvement but I think that to say he goes stretches with little production is kind of insulting to our best returning player who gives everything to our offense.

Donahue was pretty much a non factor in both games against Hopkins last year and his accuracy was down a good clip overall. I have to disagree big time that my previous post was insulting in anyway, I simply noted that as the clear Senior leader he needs to be the Kevin Rice of this years team. That means 3+ plus points game in and game out, thats an elite level player. As I noted hes been a very good player for SU now we need him to be Great after losing nearly all of the starters on offense.

I agree he does need to take the next step, but isn't the reason that Desko brought in Mariano is to be the QB of the offense? I think he can do that aptly and fill in and take over for Kevin Rice.

Well Rice was the QB for last year's offense, I dont think Dylan can take over that role completely because that's not his skill set. For him I think its putting up 50+ goals despite not having Rice, Staats, Galasso etc. Dylan can create for others but hes not a top end assist guy like Rice could be.

Mariano is a finisher, the QB role will likely be Evans from behind.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom