Fascinating Picture | Syracusefan.com

Fascinating Picture

scottynguyen

2nd String
@usabasketball With recruiting period in full effect, college coaches are at USOTC to watch #USABMU17 training camp.

11v76zo.jpg

Gotta love JB, doesn't give a F. Name the coaches -- I see JTIII, Calhoun, Ollie, Crean, Izzo, K, Capel ...

Who is that next to Izzo? It's not his wife...but she's good people.

What's this guys deal? Someone squirt in his Cheerios?

Pretty sure that's ol Roy because UNC assistant Steve Robinson is right next to him.

What kind of knucklehead turns down help from a HOFer?

I thought the NCAA had limitations on the number of coaches(representatives) from a school that could go out recruiting. Calhoun's position at UConn is Special Assistant to the Director of Athletics. So he is an agent of the school and would count against their coaching staff. The bylaw concerning this is below. The last statement is confusing though "non-organized voluntary athletically related activities (e.g. pickup games)". The picture was at Peach Jam which is an organized event. Just wondering what people thought about this.

NCAA Bylaw: 11.7.1.1.1.1.1 Sport Specific Non-coaching Activities.

A noncoaching staff member with sport-specific responsibilities (e.g., director of operations, administrative assistant) may participate in organized activities involving only the coaching staff or may perform administrative duties (e.g., attend meetings involving coaching activities, analyze video of the institution's or an opponent's team, track statistics during practice or competition). However, such an individual is prohibited from participating in instructional activities with student-athletes and any on-court or on-field activities (e.g., assist with drills, throw batting practice), and is prohibited from participating with or observing student-athletes in the staff member's sport who are engaged in nonorganized voluntary athletically related activities (e.g., pick-up games). (Adopted: 1/16/10)

What kind of knucklehead turns down help from a HOFer?

I would normally agree with you, but there's a point where you want to run your own ship. I think most folks know that Calhoun is still very much in charge of how the ship is being steered.

I would normally agree with you, but there's a point where you want to run your own ship. I think most folks know that Calhoun is still very much in charge of how the ship is being steered.

Well if Calhoun is still steering but I'm doing a huge chunk of the day to day operating and just won a title doing it this way, I'd be content to keep doing it that way.

Well if Calhoun is still steering but I'm doing a huge chunk of the day to day operating and just won a title doing it this way, I'd be content to keep doing it that way.

maybe, but you would think eventually ego gets in the way.

I guess when Hop is in charge, I would not expect JB to be doing what you outlined.

maybe, but you would think eventually ego gets in the way.

I guess when Hop is in charge, I would not expect JB to be doing what you outlined.
No he wouldn't. But if memory serves Calhoun didn't step away of his own choice (the way it's expected JB will) so he might still have the itch to keep going. If he had been able to go until he decided he no longer wanted too, then it might be a very different ideal for Calhoun.

Sure ego gets in the way, but for now Calhoun just helped Ollie win a title, and from what I can tell 98% of the public is giving Ollie most of the credit, and the rest of it is going to Napier. So that's probably ego bumping enough for the time being.