Class of 2017 - FB/H-back Connor Koch (VA) Walk-on decommitted from Syracuse | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 FB/H-back Connor Koch (VA) Walk-on decommitted from Syracuse

CjanNqxVAAA8MAd.jpg

Welcome aboard, Connor!

Also, class of 2017 for a walk on? Is this a "Let's see what happens in February and maybe we'll have a scholarship for you" kind of deal?

Family connection? Kid must know for sure he wants to come to 'cuse, otherwise why not go through your senior season and see what happens? Walk on spots don't disappear.

Woodberry Forest is a very good private boarding school about a hour from UVa. Good school to get in with and fairly close to Fork Union, an even better source of players. Not going out on a limb to think this kid has the money to walk-on without worrying about a scholarship.

Not sure what to make of this:

"Coach Hart explained to me that the position I committed to is not one that they tend to recruit, but they thought I'd be an ideal fit for it."

"Coach Hart explained to me that the position I committed to is not one that they tend to recruit, but they thought I'd be an ideal fit for it."
I would assume give the position a scholarship. One of those positions it would be nice to have a guy on the team that can do it, but really don't need them.

I wonder if it's kind of a long snapper sort of thing- a specialized position that will see limited field time.

Could it be a guy who used for curveball sets, like all of a sudden we put in an extra lineman and two TE on the goal line?

I don't think the Briles offense utilizes a FB, no?
It doesn't. Babers has said has added some plays for the weather in the NE since he has left Baylor that a different formation. So I would assume that's why they don't offer scholarships for the HB/FB position since it might be used a very small amount in a season.

Hoe about trying him as a middle linebacker in the Tampa 2.

If we can get scholly guys as good as ourwalk on we are in business, Love people who want to be here.....

Last edited:
In 53 I was a de facto walk on, Got 800 to be here. Hunger is the name of the game. Get those that want to be here with a chip on their shoulder and you have the start of something good.

Love this walk on and I think he ends up on the defensive side of the ball at DE or MLB.