FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread | Syracusefan.com

FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread

Bortukal

All Conference
Time to put roster selection controversies in the rearview mirror and get behind our USMNT. Ready to trust that Jurgen has a plan for us to compete in The Group of Death and believe that our guys will make it happen.

No matter how the US fares, I'm pumped for a World Cup that is sure to be full of surprise results and crazy controversies. Hard to pick against a loaded Brazil squad defending their home soil, but I'm choosing Belgium as my bracket-busting dark horse.

So let me do my usually thing with the Aver Mmmmmm Gol Gol Gol Gol, Neyyyyyyyyyyyyymarrrrrrr!
Nah, that was terrible home cooking. Might as well just hand it to them now. I thought even the late goal was a missed penalty that should have been assessed to Brasil. Not going to happen, but so be it. At least they have the talent deserving of a champion. :rolleyes:

And here I whine about the NCAA. Mother Teresa compared to FIFA.

And here I whine about the NCAA. Mother Teresa compared to FIFA.

FIFA is all sorts of awful. Nobody does justice to the extent of FIFA's terribleness like John Oliver. A must-watch if you haven't already seen it.

FIFA is all sorts of awful. Nobody does justice to the extent of FIFA's terribleness like John Oliver. A must-watch if you haven't already seen it.
Disgusting. So wasteful. And FIFA reaps the benefits. Sensible, considering their history.

I'm ready to say that Brazilian "greatness" is a myth. There is no other country in the world that has more talent and plays for the dive like they do. Their women's team is even worse at feigning injuries, trips, falls, etc. If they are so freakin great, then why do they resort to bush league tactics?

I think all Brazilian players should be given MedAlert bracelets for when they fall and can't get up.

Welcome to the 2014 #FIFAclownshow.

The world is with you, Croatia!

I'm ready to say that Brazilian "greatness" is a myth. There is no other country in the world that has more talent and plays for the dive like they do. Their women's team is even worse at feigning injuries, trips, falls, etc. If they are so freakin great, then why do they resort to bush league tactics?

I think all Brazilian players should be given MedAlert bracelets for when they fall and can't get up.

Fifa Clown show in a nutshell: Russia 2018, Qatar 2022. Absolute joke

Italy is offended :D
Despite the fact that Italy plays a more pleasing to the eye game now, I fully expect a brutal game against the Hooligans on Saturday. One bright spot is the head ref, Kuipers, is a no nonsense type of guy.

Have you missed the past decade of Spain?

There is some hope that Qatar will go by the boards. Rumor has it that US and Canada joint host might happen. Are you guys in?
Wow. Only chance we would ever make the world cup! Ill take it

Forza, he's calling you out! ;)
I used to think Italy was the worst but in recent years I think there are a crap load of countries that are worst then Italy, including Portugal, I'm not going to be at all surprised if we get some sort of bogus Red card or crap penalty call against us in the Portugal game. The call yesterday was a fricking joke, I wish fims were reviewed each game and an obvious dive like Fred's gets you a 2 game suspension ( yea i know fifa will never do it )

By the way I'm trying to get off my LD soap box with the cup started. It was kind of difficult with ESPN calling him in and the Tirico interview.

I used to think Italy was the worst but in recent years I think there are a crap load of countries that are worst then Italy, including Portugal, I'm not going to be at all surprised if we get some sort of bogus Red card or crap penalty call against us in the Portugal game. The call yesterday was a fricking joke, I wish fims were reviewed each game and an obvious dive like Fred's gets you a 2 game suspension ( yea i know fifa will never do it )

Teams eventually change tactics. I'm far from an Italy supporter but they are playing a much better brand of football now vs the thuggish tactics from 2002-2010.

Nice look at Neymar's elbow on Modric

upload_2014-6-13_9-10-50.jpeg

At the time, I thought it came close to the De Rossi elbow to McBride in 2006. It didn't have the same impact physically, but it was still harsh imo.
Speaking of elbows...

The conditions for Mexico/Cameroon are dreadful. Nonstop torrential rains. Game might more closely resemble pool volleyball if this holds up.

I guess I did. Are they really as bad as Brazil?

Worse honestly. Cry and whine and dive then surround the ref to try and get calls. It's putrid and they are so talented that they dont even need to do this but they do.