Fight Songs | Syracusefan.com

Fight Songs

SWC75

Bored Historian
I prefer the old-fashioned martial music as the sound of college football and decided to post some of my favorites. Gotta start with SU, of course. This clip beings with Down Down the Field, which i like:

But I like The Saltine Warrior better, probably because this was the music SU highlights were shown to when I was growing up back int he 60's. The games were almost never on TV so we had to wait until Monday or Tuesday for the local news to show some grainy highlights narrated by Bill O'Donnell or Joel Mareiness and this was the music in the background, (it's the second piece, which begins at 1:30.

Last edited:
I've always loved "On Braves Old Army Team and it's good to know we'll be hearing it again at an SU game in the future.

Georgia Tech hasn't been too kind to us in recent eyars but I've always loved "The Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech"

I'm not a Texas fan but I remember them singing "The Eyes of Texas"after they beat USC for the 2005 championship, their first tile in 36 years, (during which they went into bowls undefeated with a chance to win the title three times and lost). I found it very moving.

John Philip Sousa called "Hail to the Victors" one of the three best marches of all time and I guess he should know:

I haven't always like Notre Dame but I have always liked the Notre Dame Victory March. I like the way it can be played fast for excitement but it can also be played slow for sentiment. Perfect for all those movies Hollywood used to make about Notre Dame.

But my favorite piece of college football music and the greatest march I have ever heard is Alfred Newman's "Conquest", written for the 1947 movie of the same name and used by the Southern California Trojans as they theme with his permission. They have an "official" fight song, "Fight on to Victory" but this is the music Ara Parseghian got sick of hearing back in the day. O never get sick of it. See if you can avoid getting up and marching around the room to this:

One more bonus, just for Tomcat. This is "March Grandisoso by Roland Seitz, who was called the "Parade Music Prince" after Sousa who was "The March King". Several schools use this, the most prominet being nebraska. The thing is: 23 TUBAS!!!

John Philip Sousa called "Hail to the Victors" one of the three best marches of all time and I guess he should know:

"The greatest college fight song ever written" - John Philip Sousa

There's nothing like the band taking the field for pregame at Michigan Stadium. It's something I wish that the SU fanbase would embrace more. I say this as one of, I think, 3 people outside the band that know all of the words.

I prefer the old-fashioned martial music as the sound of college football and decided to post some of my favorites. Gotta start with SU, of course. This clip beings with Down Down the Field, which i like:

But I like The Saltine Warrior better, probably because this was the music SU highlights were shown to when I was growing up back int he 60's. The games were almost never on TV so we had to wait until Monday or Tuesday for the local news to show some grainy highlights narrated by Bill O'Donnell or Joel Mareiness and this was the music in the background, (it's the second piece, which begins at 1:30.
Thanks for that clip. Brought back memories of freezing my fanny off in the student section of Archbold inspite of the pint of brandy I smuggled in. Always loved the Saltine Warrior. Too bad we have to be politically correct.

Thanks for that clip. Brought back memories of freezing my fanny off in the student section of Archbold inspite of the pint of brandy I smuggled in. Always loved the Saltine Warrior. Too bad we have to be politically correct.

Ironically, the lyrics of the Saltine Warrior make it clear that it is not a reference to Native Americans while the lyrics of Down Down the Field make a specific reference to Native Americans, yet it's Down Down the Field that is politically correct.

SU Archives: History - SU Songs

Me too...I'm actually heading to Knoxville with my buddies for the Vols/Gators game at the end of September!! Hoping to hear that a lot!
"Rocky Top" is not the official UT fight song.

"Down the Field" (not SU's version) is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom