Class of 2015 - Final Recruiting Comments... | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Final Recruiting Comments...

JackBauer44

'18 & / '21 Cali Winner: Receiving & Rushing Yards
Gang - It's been a learning experience this year on the SU Football side. Injuries took a big toll on the team, which among other things lead to a disappointing record.

I've decided to step away from this place for a little while. I'm having a hard time reading everything that I see on these forums and it's becoming increasingly trying to respond to the same comments over and over. On a humanistic standpoint, I could never go through life with the attitude that I see some of the posters on the football and basketball forums display. Combining that with me being in the final pool for a Head Coaching position here in NC - I'm going to focus my mindset elsewhere for a couple of months. I have no idea if I'll be able to stay away, as SU athletics are like crack for me, but I wanted to make one last post before I go.

I've spoken a bit on our recruiting before, and want to emphasize one thing. People have been up in arms over recruiting, and it should be a hot topic, as it defines our perception among recruits and fans. I truly believe this 2015 class has the makings to be special. I'm on record as saying our offensive line was a big disappointment this year. I think that changes moving forward.

Sam Clausman, Colin Byrne, Cody Conway, Evan Adams, & Andreas Duerig

This has the making to be the best Offensive Line haul we've brought in (in a long while). Evan Adams and Cody Conway have potential to be great tackles. Conway probably the most potential out of that group based on his tape. Great form and technique. Adams has the measurables and looks very mean. Clausman and Byrne have the looks of being solid OGs at the next level. They are already very skilled physically (their weight room numbers are terrific), and they are very good run blockers. Duerig being transformed into a Center is probably a safe bet. If these commits hold, I'm a happy man. Remember the announcers gushing about Boston College's starting line, and how there were 5 5th year OLmen. That could be this group down the line. A lot of potential, which for a school like Syracuse (at their current place in the college football landscape) is all you can ask for. I've said it here numerous times, and I'm going to say it again. A great offensive and defensive line can make your O & D look like they're magnificent. I'm reminded of a football clinic I went to a couple years ago in North Carolina. Every coach who has won a recent state championship is allowed to give a presentation on an aspect of their program, scheme, formation, etc. A coach from the Charlotte area who won the 2A State Championship (comparable size to a Class C school) started talking in a very thick drawl. His whole presentation went back to this point. "We didn't do nothin' too special, but our OL from LT to RT went 6'6 290, 6'4 275, 6'2 255, 6'0 260, 6'7 340." I know this may be on the high school level where size advantage plays a huge role, but it's true in every level of football - If you win the line of scrimmage, you can do what you want.

There are other really good players in this class that I'm excited to see them play. To name a few:

Shy Cullen is under-recruited. I've shown video to any coach I talk recruiting with here in the HS Ranks in NC, and they can't believe he's not more widely offered.

Donte Strickland is a stud. He will be our next stud RB. I can see him as a 3 year starter. Watch his hips and legs when he runs. He glides. It's very fun to watch.

Dunkleberger is not a 2 star recruit. There was a big post about what kind of JUCOs we should be bringing in. If we can find 2 or 3 types of JUCOs like him, we should be striving to bring them in every cycle. He will be an impact player next season.

Eric Dungey can flat out spin the ball. He's got some major potential. I still think AE (if he comes to campus) will be the guy the offense attempts to give the keys to, but Dungey (with a redshirt year) could surprise a lot of people. Great frame, great measurables, and great upside.

If Steven Clark commits, which it looks like is a good possibility, could be the steal of the class. I again, have no idea how he doesn't have more offers. He's a Defensive Tackle I'd build my defense around.

Our Ohio boys (Marquise Blair and Troy Henderson), are both really, really good IMO. Blair may have some academic concerns, but if he gets here, he will be be a multiple year starter at the S position.

Shaffer has the attitude to do well with recruiting. Hopefully the X's and O's on offense will follow. I'm willing to chalk up this year to one of those rare anomalies. Teams knew we couldn't pass after Hunt got hurt, so they loaded the box and said try us. We didn't have the cohesiveness on the OL to be successful in run-blocking, because we were switching guys in and our for so many games. Make no mistake, the OL being on the same page is a big key to being successful in run blocking. One person can make that whole unit look bad. I've been saying for two years that 2015 should be THE year for our program. I still believe it will be.

My last plea before I take my self-imposed hiatus. Positivity goes a long way. Not just in cheering for a team, but in life in general. I think we are on the right track towards getting the program back to where we need to be. I'm going to stay positive, because that's just the type of person I am.

End Rant. I wanted to give my thoughts from a coaching standpoint. I think this class ends up really, really good.

Til next time.

Hey bro, come back soon! I come to this site for perspective and football talk from people like you! I'm tired of the negativity too, its cancerous and has driven many great posters away! Why does this board need to be diplomatic, wish the admins would just ban people daily! :)

Gang - It's been a learning experience this year on the SU Football side. Injuries took a big toll on the team, which among other things lead to a disappointing record.

I've decided to step away from this place for a little while. I'm having a hard time reading everything that I see on these forums and it's becoming increasingly trying to respond to the same comments over and over. On a humanistic standpoint, I could never go through life with the attitude that I see some of the posters on the football and basketball forums display. Combining that with me being in the final pool for a Head Coaching position here in NC - I'm going to focus my mindset elsewhere for a couple of months. I have no idea if I'll be able to stay away, as SU athletics are like crack for me, but I wanted to make one last post before I go.

I've spoken a bit on our recruiting before, and want to emphasize one thing. People have been up in arms over recruiting, and it should be a hot topic, as it defines our perception among recruits and fans. I truly believe this 2015 class has the makings to be special. I'm on record as saying our offensive line was a big disappointment this year. I think that changes moving forward.

This has the making to be the best Offensive Line haul we've brought in (in a long while). Evan Adams and Cody Conway have potential to be great tackles. Conway probably the most potential out of that group based on his tape. Great form and technique. Adams has the measurables and looks very mean. Clausman and Byrne have the looks of being solid OGs at the next level. They are already very skilled physically (their weight room numbers are terrific), and they are very good run blockers. Duerig being transformed into a Center is probably a safe bet. If these commits hold, I'm a happy man. Remember the announcers gushing about Boston College's starting line, and how there were 5 5th year OLmen. That could be this group down the line. A lot of potential, which for a school like Syracuse (at their current place in the college football landscape) is all you can ask for. I've said it here numerous times, and I'm going to say it again. A great offensive and defensive line can make your O & D look like they're magnificent. I'm reminded of a football clinic I went to a couple years ago in North Carolina. Every coach who has won a recent state championship is allowed to give a presentation on an aspect of their program, scheme, formation, etc. A coach from the Charlotte area who won the 2A State Championship (comparable size to a Class C school) started talking in a very thick drawl. His whole presentation went back to this point. "We didn't do nothin' too special, but our OL from LT to RT went 6'6 290, 6'4 275, 6'2 255, 6'0 260, 6'7 340." I know this may be on the high school level where size advantage plays a huge role, but it's true in every level of football - If you win the line of scrimmage, you can do what you want.

There are other really good players in this class that I'm excited to see them play. To name a few:

Shy Cullen is under-recruited. I've shown video to any coach I talk recruiting with here in the HS Ranks in NC, and they can't believe he's not more widely offered.

Donte Strickland is a stud. He will be our next stud RB. I can see him as a 3 year starter. Watch his hips and legs when he runs. He glides. It's very fun to watch.

Dunkleberger is not a 2 star recruit. There was a big post about what kind of JUCOs we should be bringing in. If we can find 2 or 3 types of JUCOs like him, we should be striving to bring them in every cycle. He will be an impact player next season.

Eric Dungey can flat out spin the ball. He's got some major potential. I still think AE (if he comes to campus) will be the guy the offense attempts to give the keys to, but Dungey (with a redshirt year) could surprise a lot of people. Great frame, great measurables, and great upside.

If Steven Clark commits, which it looks like is a good possibility, could be the steal of the class. I again, have no idea how he doesn't have more offers. He's a Defensive Tackle I'd build my defense around.

Our Ohio boys (Marquise Blair and Troy Henderson), are both really, really good IMO. Blair may have some academic concerns, but if he gets here, he will be be a multiple year starter at the S position.

Shaffer has the attitude to do well with recruiting. Hopefully the X's and O's on offense will follow. I'm willing to chalk up this year to one of those rare anomalies. Teams knew we couldn't pass after Hunt got hurt, so they loaded the box and said try us. We didn't have the cohesiveness on the OL to be successful in run-blocking, because we were switching guys in and our for so many games. Make no mistake, the OL being on the same page is a big key to being successful in run blocking. One person can make that whole unit look bad. I've been saying for two years that 2015 should be THE year for our program. I still believe it will be.

My last plea before I take my self-imposed hiatus. Positivity goes a long way. Not just in cheering for a team, but in life in general. I think we are on the right track towards getting the program back to where we need to be. I'm going to stay positive, because that's just the type of person I am.

End Rant. I wanted to give my thoughts from a coaching standpoint. I think this class ends up really, really good.

Til next time.

The biggest issue I have with the class is the rich keep getting richer. I would argue most of our best prospects in this class are defensive. LB's in particular is the position that gets the strongest this year based on talent per number.

I agree 100% on the OL, this is a big time class with it, mainly Adams and Conway. Strickland should contribute as a frosh.

This is a developmental class. Lacks the star power of the previous class, but should have a number of role players and solid collegiate football players.

My concern is with recruiting strategy and targeting. Obviously, the strategy this year was to try and finish as much of the 2015 class early and focus on the big fish in 2016. A season like the one we just had presents some issues with 2016 being that marquee class. 2016 class needs to be more like 2014 then 2015 for Syracuse to make noise in the ACC.

Recruiting targeting, either way you spin it with the 2 decommits is bad. Syracuse accepted commitments from players who were reaches and were mis-evaluated by staff leading to offer and commitment. They severed ties. Which can be both good and bad.

Why did Syracuse accept early commitments from these players and how were the evaluations done?

Til next time.

After that great post you think you can just disappear? You want me to drive all the way over to Raleigh and hunt you down.;)

Last edited:

Til next time.

Best post I've read in a long time. Like you, I'm am optimistic person by nature. I understand the frustration that people feel, as I feel it too. I guess I just don't understand how some can go from being very supportive and positive about the program as recently as 4 months ago to carrying pitchforks now. I'll have a better idea of what the staff and their players are capable of after next year. I've seen a decent year and a horrible year. I'm willing to give things more time before calling for change. Good luck with the head coaching position. Let us know how it turns out.

Til next time.
Great post...it's 1986 all over again ;-) Glass half full and rising!

JackBauer44 said:
Gang - It's been a learning experience this year on the SU Football side. Injuries took a big toll on the team, which among other things lead to a disappointing record. I've decided to step away from this place for a little while. I'm having a hard time reading everything that I see on these forums and it's becoming increasingly trying to respond to the same comments over and over. On a humanistic standpoint, I could never go through life with the attitude that I see some of the posters on the football and basketball forums display. Combining that with me being in the final pool for a Head Coaching position here in NC - I'm going to focus my mindset elsewhere for a couple of months. I have no idea if I'll be able to stay away, as SU athletics are like crack for me, but I wanted to make one last post before I go. I've spoken a bit on our recruiting before, and want to emphasize one thing. People have been up in arms over recruiting, and it should be a hot topic, as it defines our perception among recruits and fans. I truly believe this 2015 class has the makings to be special. I'm on record as saying our offensive line was a big disappointment this year. I think that changes moving forward. Sam Clausman, Colin Byrne, Cody Conway, Evan Adams, & Andreas Duerig This has the making to be the best Offensive Line haul we've brought in (in a long while). Evan Adams and Cody Conway have potential to be great tackles. Conway probably the most potential out of that group based on his tape. Great form and technique. Adams has the measurables and looks very mean. Clausman and Byrne have the looks of being solid OGs at the next level. They are already very skilled physically (their weight room numbers are terrific), and they are very good run blockers. Duerig being transformed into a Center is probably a safe bet. If these commits hold, I'm a happy man. Remember the announcers gushing about Boston College's starting line, and how there were 5 5th year OLmen. That could be this group down the line. A lot of potential, which for a school like Syracuse (at their current place in the college football landscape) is all you can ask for. I've said it here numerous times, and I'm going to say it again. A great offensive and defensive line can make your O & D look like they're magnificent. I'm reminded of a football clinic I went to a couple years ago in North Carolina. Every coach who has won a recent state championship is allowed to give a presentation on an aspect of their program, scheme, formation, etc. A coach from the Charlotte area who won the 2A State Championship (comparable size to a Class C school) started talking in a very thick drawl. His whole presentation went back to this point. "We didn't do nothin' too special, but our OL from LT to RT went 6'6 290, 6'4 275, 6'2 255, 6'0 260, 6'7 340." I know this may be on the high school level where size advantage plays a huge role, but it's true in every level of football - If you win the line of scrimmage, you can do what you want. There are other really good players in this class that I'm excited to see them play. To name a few: Shy Cullen is under-recruited. I've shown video to any coach I talk recruiting with here in the HS Ranks in NC, and they can't believe he's not more widely offered. Donte Strickland is a stud. He will be our next stud RB. I can see him as a 3 year starter. Watch his hips and legs when he runs. He glides. It's very fun to watch. Dunkleberger is not a 2 star recruit. There was a big post about what kind of JUCOs we should be bringing in. If we can find 2 or 3 types of JUCOs like him, we should be striving to bring them in every cycle. He will be an impact player next season. Eric Dungey can flat out spin the ball. He's got some major potential. I still think AE (if he comes to campus) will be the guy the offense attempts to give the keys to, but Dungey (with a redshirt year) could surprise a lot of people. Great frame, great measurables, and great upside. If Steven Clark commits, which it looks like is a good possibility, could be the steal of the class. I again, have no idea how he doesn't have more offers. He's a Defensive Tackle I'd build my defense around. Our Ohio boys (Marquise Blair and Troy Henderson), are both really, really good IMO. Blair may have some academic concerns, but if he gets here, he will be be a multiple year starter at the S position. Shaffer has the attitude to do well with recruiting. Hopefully the X's and O's on offense will follow. I'm willing to chalk up this year to one of those rare anomalies. Teams knew we couldn't pass after Hunt got hurt, so they loaded the box and said try us. We didn't have the cohesiveness on the OL to be successful in run-blocking, because we were switching guys in and our for so many games. Make no mistake, the OL being on the same page is a big key to being successful in run blocking. One person can make that whole unit look bad. I've been saying for two years that 2015 should be THE year for our program. I still believe it will be. My last plea before I take my self-imposed hiatus. Positivity goes a long way. Not just in cheering for a team, but in life in general. I think we are on the right track towards getting the program back to where we need to be. I'm going to stay positive, because that's just the type of person I am. End Rant. I wanted to give my thoughts from a coaching standpoint. I think this class ends up really, really good. Til next time.

Great post. Good luck with the interview! Appreciate the positive.

Great post--thanks for taking the time to compile that. As a "recruitnik," I always love seeing these type of insightful summaries!

Til next time.

Best of luck brother! Sincerely hope you get what you're looking for. Shame you won't be around as much because you add some much needed perspective around here.

Let me know your clinic and conference schedule, maybe we'll be lucky enough to cross paths this Winter.

I have good news to pass on. JackBauer44 is one of 3 finalists for that HC FB job mentioned in his above post. It would be in a competitive 4A conference so let's all hope for the best for him. Knock it out of the park in that interview J.

Any news on JackBauer44? Did he get the job?

I have been given permission to pass along this update from J...

I had my interview two days ago. I don't think it could have gone any better. They commented that I was far more organized than they were anticipating (with me being 27 and all). I had a binder (yes, I had a binder, cue the DM talks) full of formations both offensive & defensive I would look to install, off season/in season workouts, fundraising ideas for the program, how football can help the booster club raise money for the whole athletic program (like college, HS football drives the bus as well), and academic information to help get students accountable for academics/get them prepared for college. It was essentially a 4 year plan, with the goal in the 4th year to compete in the State Playoffs (which would be a huge task for this school district). They seemed very impressed, asked questions about my ideas, and said it was impressive.
Everything scheme wise/formation wise came down to the following.
Defense - I have a plan to bring along a Defensive Coordinator who I have befriended through coaching in NC. He played SEC Football and is in his late 50's currently. We have the same defensive philosophy. 4-3 base defense, with the ability to switch to a 3-4 role. Lots of attacking, blitzing, and downhill pressure. We would also be implementing a double A gap front to bring extra confusion, pressure from unexpected places. With numbers in the program being low because of numerous unsuccessful seasons, this type of defense could get a lot of athletes interested in joining the program again. This man has forgotten more about football than I will ever know.
Offense - Even though I've been a defensive coordinator, I would be calling the plays. I come from the firm belief that defensive players and coaches make excellent offensive coordinators, as they know how to attack multiple defensive fronts (because that's their original mindset). Our offensive would be a true spread, no huddle offense. Tempo would be the word surrounding our program. The basketball team at this program has had very good success, and a lot of the athletes in this school connect with basketball. So let's make the football field emulate a true uptempo style, like you would find in a game of basketball. This is how we drive the athletes back to the turf. We are running and shooting, hopefully developing a mobile quarterback to have elements of the spread option in our playbook. Had plays already drawn up, and it's an offense that not a lot of high schools in North Carolina have seen so far. Probably more out west than east. Administrators seemed intrigued about this, as they've been notorious for running power I, Wing T, and Double Tight formations. I firmly believe this type of approach would get many eyes on the program.
I ended with a very bold statement, I'll see if it pays off. I'm not looking for a resume builder. Or for a couple of wins every season to make parents/boosters happy. I'm looking to start a dynasty. I'm looking for a place where parents will enroll their students in our specific middle school districts, just so they have the opportunity to wear our jerseys.
I was interview 1 out of 3, so they will be finishing interviews up this week. Hopefully I'll know sometime next week!

CuseLegacy said:

I had my interview two days ago. I don't think it could have gone any better. They commented that I was far more organized than they were anticipating (with me being 27 and all). I had a binder (yes, I had a binder, cue the DM talks) full of formations both offensive & defensive I would look to install, off season/in season workouts, fundraising ideas for the program, how football can help the booster club raise money for the whole athletic program (like college, HS football drives the bus as well), and academic information to help get students accountable for academics/get them prepared for college. It was essentially a 4 year plan, with the goal in the 4th year to compete in the State Playoffs (which would be a huge task for this school district). They seemed very impressed, asked questions about my ideas, and said it was impressive.
Defense - I have a plan to bring along a Defensive Coordinator who I have befriended through coaching in NC. He played SEC Football and is in his late 50's currently. We have the same defensive philosophy. 4-3 base defense, with the ability to switch to a 3-4 role. Lots of attacking, blitzing, and downhill pressure. We would also be implementing a double A gap front to bring extra confusion, pressure from unexpected places. With numbers in the program being low because of numerous unsuccessful seasons, this type of defense could get a lot of athletes interested in joining the program again. This man has forgotten more about football than I will ever know.
Offense - Even though I've been a defensive coordinator, I would be calling the plays. I come from the firm belief that defensive players and coaches make excellent offensive coordinators, as they know how to attack multiple defensive fronts (because that's their original mindset). Our offensive would be a true spread, no huddle offense. Tempo would be the word surrounding our program. The basketball team at this program has had very good success, and a lot of the athletes in this school connect with basketball. So let's make the football field emulate a true uptempo style, like you would find in a game of basketball. This is how we drive the athletes back to the turf. We are running and shooting, hopefully developing a mobile quarterback to have elements of the spread option in our playbook. Had plays already drawn up, and it's an offense that not a lot of high schools in North Carolina have seen so far. Probably more out west than east. Administrators seemed intrigued about this, as they've been notorious for running power I, Wing T, and Double Tight formations. I firmly believe this type of approach would get many eyes on the program.
I ended with a very bold statement, I'll see if it pays off. I'm not looking for a resume builder. Or for a couple of wins every season to make parents/boosters happy. I'm looking to start a dynasty. I'm looking for a place where parents will enroll their students in our specific middle school districts, just so they have the opportunity to wear our jerseys.
I was interview 1 out of 3, so they will be finishing interviews up this week. Hopefully I'll know sometime next week!

If either of the other candidates were better prepared than he, then I would be shocked. He could have been more bold and called them all bitches at the end, but you have to read the room.

Great job Roe Bro! Hope he gets the job, and starts a Cuse Pipeline! ;)

I interview a lot of people in my profession and I'm always impressed by folks who make that the final pitch, ala Jack Bauer, for the position. I really hope he gets the job!

Hey Y'all -

Just stopping by to let you all know I did not get the head coaching position. I received a call this afternoon from the Athletic Director this afternoon. We chatted for a bit about why, and while I won't go into too many details (small profession, small world), they wanted someone with more experience. There was also a comment about how there was fear among some people on the search committee that my "Northern Style Attitude" wouldn't be a good fit.

Disappointed, as I really thought I knocked the interview out of the park. I'll take the rest of the day to clear my thoughts, sulk it up a bit, and get my head right. Tomorrow it's back to off-season workouts with my current team. I'll use this as a learning experience. I came close; I'll make some adjustments and hopefully nail the next one that comes along!

I appreciate the good thoughts, posts, and PMs sent. Even though there are some loose cannons, this is a great community. Let's end the recruiting season with a bang!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom