first game of the year last night and no comments | Syracusefan.com

first game of the year last night and no comments

upperdeck

Living Legend
Cal plays fast like we hope too. put up 50 against hawaii , but played poor D as well. 600 yards of offense and allowed 500 to Hawaii. as much as Cal did right they were really helped by the 5 hawaii turnovers.

that michigan came could more interesting than people think. the line is -41. which seems way high

Listened to the game on Sirius, at least Q2 and some of Q4. Did sound like the moved fast and passed a lot. Problem with that score is that Hawaii is supposed to be terrible, so not sure that bodes well for California that Hawaii put up 31 on them.

texascpa said:
Listened to the game on Sirius, at least Q2 and some of Q4. Did sound like the moved fast and passed a lot. Problem with that score is that Hawaii is supposed to be terrible, so not sure that bodes well for California that Hawaii put up 31 on them.

I watched a bit of it. Hawaii's new coach brought a system that puts up numbers, fast paced. Cal looked rusty on D.

thats why I think it was interesting.. Hawaii gets a new coach with a new system and puts up 31 on Cal. and no matter how bad Cal is on D they have better athletes than Colgate. without the fumbles they put up 40 easily in that game the way they moved the ball. if we dont do that against Colgate who will we do it against.

thats why I think it was interesting.. Hawaii gets a new coach with a new system and puts up 31 on Cal. and no matter how bad Cal is on D they have better athletes than Colgate. without the fumbles they put up 40 easily in that game the way they moved the ball. if we dont do that against Colgate who will we do it against.
I think people are setting themselves up for major disappointment against Colgate. It's the team's first game with new coaches and radically new systems on both sides of the ball. I don't care what the score is as long as we win... I'll be looking at things like:
- do we look like a p5 team playing a d2 team? I will never forget losing the line battle on both sides against Villanova and realizing they had better skill position guys than we did. That was a foreshadowing for the year.
- how many stupid penalties we take
- how many 3 and outs our offense has
- how many times can we get into scoring range
- can the d get off the field on 3rd and long

This staff is heads above the last.

Colgate is a very good lower division team

That said, we win with relative ease and hit 50

I think people are setting themselves up for major disappointment against Colgate. It's the team's first game with new coaches and radically new systems on both sides of the ball. I don't care what the score is as long as we win... I'll be looking at things like:
- do we look like a p5 team playing a d2 team? I will never forget losing the line battle on both sides against Villanova and realizing they had better skill position guys than we did. That was a foreshadowing for the year.
u are correct i believe as well seeing how our defense looks, do they gassed, penetration against a non p5 school, can we contain the outside etc etc. i am nmore concerned about the d than the o

OrangeFoo said:
I think people are setting themselves up for major disappointment against Colgate. It's the team's first game with new coaches and radically new systems on both sides of the ball. I don't care what the score is as long as we win... I'll be looking at things like: - do we look like a p5 team playing a d2 team? I will never forget losing the line battle on both sides against Villanova and realizing they had better skill position guys than we did. That was a foreshadowing for the year. - how many stupid penalties we take - how many 3 and outs our offense has - how many times can we get into scoring range - can the d get off the field on 3rd and long

Disagree. Welcome to the Dino era where TDs flow like milk and honey.

We're going to roll Colgate like the end of a tube of toothpaste.

Cal plays fast like we hope too. put up 50 against hawaii , but played poor D as well. 600 yards of offense and allowed 500 to Hawaii. as much as Cal did right they were really helped by the 5 hawaii turnovers.

that michigan came could more interesting than people think. the line is -41. which seems way high

Nice to see the Rainbow Warriors showing some life.

Last edited:
That game was sooooo overhyped. 11 pm eastern start, 2 very mediocre teams and an anticlimactic so called start of the college season with a stand alone crappy game on in the middle of the night. Season starts next weekend for me.

That game was sooooo overhyped. 11 pm eastern start, 2 very mediocre teams and an anticlimactic so called start of the college season with a stand alone crappy game on in the middle of the night. Season starts next weekend for me.

I tried to watch some, I just couldn't get into, thursday I will be pumped.

Two teams travel 25,000 miles round trip.

Hawaii has another game in 7 days. In Michigan.

It's always about the well-being of student athletes.

My brother lives in Hawaii and makes a lot of long plane trips. The one to Australia is the most grueling. There's really mo place to stop and if you look at a globe...

Please, please be serious.
Why can' Colgate be a FCS superpower ? They have a long history , they upgraded their program several years back and they have a great young coach who took them to the elite 8 last year with 2 road playoff wins . I'm not saying they are going to beat SU , but I don't discount FCS teams out of hand .

CousCuse said:
Why can' Colgate be a FCS superpower ? They have a long history , they upgraded their program several years back and they have a great young coach who took them to the elite 8 last year with 2 road playoff wins . I'm not saying they are going to beat SU , but I don't discount FCS teams out of hand .

No doubt. But you said it as if it were already true. There are a bunch of FCS schools that are better right now with better histories.

I'm not dismissing them; more disagreeing with you adding "the" in front of super power without making it plural ;)

No doubt. But you said it as if it were already true. There are a bunch of FCS schools that are better right now with better histories.

I'm not dismissing them; more disagreeing with you adding "the" in front of super power without making it plural ;)
I don't know about a bunch , they were one of the final 8 teams last year and they should be better this year .

Zero chance you have this take if they're not on our schedule.

I don't discount anyone out of hand.

CousCuse said:
I don't know about a bunch , they were one of the final 8 teams last year and they should be better this year .

Colgate is not "the super power" after finishing as one of the final 8, once.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom