First Impression of HCDB | Syracusefan.com

First Impression of HCDB

chakka3421

All Conference
I know there are threads about recruiting but this is about HCDB himself. Got a chance to meet and greet HCDB last night and we shared quite a few things. I've been to these things for quite some time and I'll say he is different than our last three head coaches...by a wide margin if I might add. I fully expect HCDB to be very successful here and soon.

Why? Because he knows exactly what he wants to do and knows exactly how to go about achieving success. Obviously his overall longer term success will depend on increasing the talent level of recruits each successive year. Grob, Marrone & Shafer, all good guys, were still learning as they went along...Dino is beyond that stage, way beyond it. I could just tell alone by the conversation we had last night.

Reflecting back on last night, who knows how long HCDB stays with us. I hope he does stay and becomes our next Ben or Mac. However, SU should never ever hire a HC without proven experience ever again. We cannot afford a nose dive again (it's been what 15 years since we've been ranked in the top 25?) because it's just too darn hard to climb back to relavency if you are not a football factory like Michigan or Texas. I hope that whoever is running SU/SUAD the next time we have to hire a new HC, they learn from this experience and not ever experiment again.

Truly I'm encouraged for our new HC and the direction we are headed - you should be too. Go Orange!

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. Watching and listening to his interviews I come away feeling the same way. He has a plan and he is confident in his plan.

One question I would love to have asked/answered from HCDB (would probably have to be off record as he wouldn't say this information for print) : Does he think he will have to adjust his offense and defensive systems a little for the size and speed the will see on a weekly basis in the ACC?

phil77 said:
Thanks for sharing. Watching and listening to his interviews I come away feeling the same way. He has a plan and he is confident in his plan. One question I would love to have asked/answered from HCDB (would probably have to be off record as he wouldn't say this information for print) : Does he think he will have to adjust his offense and defensive systems a little for the size and speed the will see on a weekly basis in the ACC?

I think on offense - it's the same system at Eastern Illinois, Baylor, BGSU. The only modifying he seems to do is based on weather.

I think the offense will work in the ACC out of the box.

Full disclaimer: I'm not Babers and have no idea.

I think on offense - it's the same system at Eastern Illinois, Baylor, BGSU. The only modifying he seems to do is based on weather.

Oh I agree I want to go back and watch the Tennessee game again soon and see if they were able to get to the edges on the runs. I just would love to hear his answer on what if any adjustments he thinks he will have to make.

210813iAFB14987FA477B55

Wait -you're not Dino? Dang I thought he had been posting here all this time!

I know there are threads about recruiting but this is about HCDB himself. Got a chance to meet and greet HCDB last night and we shared quite a few things. I've been to these things for quite some time and I'll say he is different than our last three head coaches...by a wide margin if I might add. I fully expect HCDB to be very successful here and soon.

Why? Because he knows exactly what he wants to do and knows exactly how to go about achieving success. Obviously his overall longer term success will depend on increasing the talent level of recruits each successive year. Grob, Marrone & Shafer, all good guys, were still learning as they went along...Dino is beyond that stage, way beyond it. I could just tell alone by the conversation we had last night.

Reflecting back on last night, who knows how long HCDB stays with us. I hope he does stay and becomes our next Ben or Mac. However, SU should never ever hire a HC without proven experience ever again. We cannot afford a nose dive again (it's been what 15 years since we've been ranked in the top 25?) because it's just too darn hard to climb back to relavency if you are not a football factory like Michigan or Texas. I hope that whoever is running SU/SUAD the next time we have to hire a new HC, they learn from this experience and not ever experiment again.

Truly I'm encouraged for our new HC and the direction we are headed - you should be too. Go Orange!
Did you tell him I still have eligibility?

Some more reflection:

HCDB shared this at the group donor meeting - he knows all the different types of offenses & plays (except wing T but Floyd Little can probably teach him that one) but teaches kids by video & repetition, not paper play book X & Os as that's how kids learn these days. Through video, practice sessions become intense as their is no "homework" or paper playbook for kids to take back to the dorm room to study. He emphatically said if a kid does not learn the offense & defense at practice, the kid will not play.

He also said that he will be bored the first year because the pace of play will be too slow for him. It won't be until the 4th/6th game of year 2 until he will get the offense to the level he wants or be at and that's just the beginning. Personally I think it will be much faster for us based on what we have seen in the last decade beginning year 1 probably game 1.

Privately with Babers - it's an offense built on speed, with various plays added to best fit players talent and abilities, or bust. He will not be experimenting. Same goes for defense as he's starting with his DC and the Tampa 2 right away that best fits his style of offense. He also stated that the difference between his offense and defense versus most other coaches is that kids have to learn by video and repetition so that the offense and defense is ingrained and becomes second nature allowing for a faster pace of play as kids just play and react, not think. He gets the kids to that level much faster than any other system that he knows of.

If you recall, all 3 previous HCs brought in different OCs, experiemented with number of plays, types of offenses, trying to get things to work. Kids had to learn new offenses almost every year. Will not happen here - Babers style of offense or bust. Hopefully that gives everyone a picture of why I perceived HCDB is at least 2-3 years ahead of the game right from the start versus our previous 3 HCs.

chakka3421 said:
Some more reflection: HCDB shared this at the group donor meeting - he knows all the different types of offenses & plays (except wing T but Floyd Little can probably teach him that one) but teaches kids by video & repetition, not paper play book X & Os as that's how kids learn these days. Through video, practice sessions become intense as their is no "homework" or paper playbook for kids to take back to the dorm room to study. He emphatically said if a kid does not learn the offense & defense at practice, the kid will not play. He also said that he will be bored the first year because the pace of play will be too slow for him. It won't be until the 4th/6th game of year 2 until he will get the offense to the level he wants or be at and that's just the beginning. Personally I think it will be much faster for us based on what we have seen in the last decade beginning year 1 probably game 1. Privately with Babers - it's an offense built on speed, with various plays added to best fit players talent and abilities, or bust. He will not be experimenting. Same goes for defense as he's starting with his DC and the Tampa 2 right away that best fits his style of offense. He also stated that the difference between his offense and defense versus most other coaches is that kids have to learn by video and repetition so that the offense and defense is ingrained and becomes second nature allowing for a faster pace of play as kids just play and react, not think. He gets the kids to that level much faster than any other system that he knows of. If you recall, all 3 previous HCs brought in different OCs, experiemented with number of plays, types of offenses, trying to get things to work. Kids had to learn new offenses almost every year. Will not happen here - Babers style of offense or bust. Hopefully that gives everyone a picture of why I perceived HCDB is at least 2-3 years ahead of the game right from the start versus our previous 3 HCs.

Great post.

I think that style of learning will set us apart. It works. And it will probably go unnoticed by the outside world.

Great thoughts chakka. Thanks for sharing. I have been very impressed with HCDB myself although I have not met him. Credit should go out to Coyle for landing him. Let's not forget him.

Great post.

I think that style of learning will set us apart. It works. And it will probably go unnoticed by the outside world.

I agree I think it is something once we get started that could help win some recruiting battles if others aren't doing the same.

phil77 said:
I agree I think it is something once we get started that could help win some recruiting battles if others aren't doing the same.

Seems pretty unorthodox.

My question is - does Baylor practice and learn the same way on both sides of the ball? Or is that just how they teach O and Babers is seeing if it will work with the D (assuming they did it that way last year at BGSU)?

I read that Babers had open practice at BG, I hope he does the same here. Would be fun to watch.

Seems pretty unorthodox.

My question is - does Baylor practice and learn the same way on both sides of the ball? Or is that just how they teach O and Babers is seeing if it will work with the D (assuming they did it that way last year at BGSU)?

Well I think there isn't much to learn in the tampa 2. It is a react type defense. I am sure they have some wrinkles they need to learn. But the learning will be from watching game tape and playing together. You have to know what your fellow players will do in certain situations and what the other team likes to run in certain situations. When to jump short routes and when to play it safe and make the tackle. The base defense should be easy to pick up.

My question would be, what adjustments to your system will you be forced to make in year one based on the existing talent/skill sets; or will you run your system regardless?

Some more reflection:

HCDB shared this at the group donor meeting - he knows all the different types of offenses & plays (except wing T but Floyd Little can probably teach him that one) but teaches kids by video & repetition, not paper play book X & Os as that's how kids learn these days. Through video, practice sessions become intense as their is no "homework" or paper playbook for kids to take back to the dorm room to study. He emphatically said if a kid does not learn the offense & defense at practice, the kid will not play.

He also said that he will be bored the first year because the pace of play will be too slow for him. It won't be until the 4th/6th game of year 2 until he will get the offense to the level he wants or be at and that's just the beginning. Personally I think it will be much faster for us based on what we have seen in the last decade beginning year 1 probably game 1.

Privately with Babers - it's an offense built on speed, with various plays added to best fit players talent and abilities, or bust. He will not be experimenting. Same goes for defense as he's starting with his DC and the Tampa 2 right away that best fits his style of offense. He also stated that the difference between his offense and defense versus most other coaches is that kids have to learn by video and repetition so that the offense and defense is ingrained and becomes second nature allowing for a faster pace of play as kids just play and react, not think. He gets the kids to that level much faster than any other system that he knows of.

If you recall, all 3 previous HCs brought in different OCs, experiemented with number of plays, types of offenses, trying to get things to work. Kids had to learn new offenses almost every year. Will not happen here - Babers style of offense or bust. Hopefully that gives everyone a picture of why I perceived HCDB is at least 2-3 years ahead of the game right from the start versus our previous 3 HCs.
Sorry I missed you and 690West Wednesday night. Got into some intense conversations during the cocktail hour and the Babers talk was no time to track anyone down.

Next time.

I am a big fan of Coach Babers. Very engaging and interesting guy to hear talk. Like JB, he is the kind of guy that would be fun to talk to about pretty much anything. He is a smart guy who has knowledge in many areas and is a great story teller. That being said, you can see he has a hard edge and will not tolerate problems. He is very confident and is a strong leader.

I see him as a Doug Marrone type in terms of his football knowledge and leadership skills, but with a far more engaging personality, and an offensive system that is far more progressive and revolutionary than anything in the NFL today.

That makes for a great package for a college football HC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom