First is was skepticism | Syracusefan.com

First is was skepticism

PoppyHart

All American
then it was awe
then it was hate
then it was laughter
now it's pity and sadness

RIP - Golf game of Eldrick Woods (1975-2015)

I'm curious to know who the believers are, and what they cling to at this stage. Sure, he's dominated 7-8 courses and compiled (I'm guessing) 40% of his wins there (Doral, Torrey, Firestone, Augusta, Bay Hill, Muirfield, and a couple others). But he's also embarrassed himself of late at the same courses (82 at Torrey, 85 at Muirfield, cheating at Augusta). When he sees a course for the first time, he's "replacement level". The last time he's won on a course he didn't have a "history" with was the Match Play in 2008. He's won TWICE in the Northeast in 20 years. 2 times. 7 full years without a major and we still have to watch the train wreck every time a telecast airs. And people complain about ESPN and other media hyping Lebron! Where else can someone be such a non-factor for 7 years and still be the lead attraction?

He has mentally checked out. Now it's time for media and the tv partners to do as well, and focus and the bright spots out there, the Spieths and McIlroys of the game.

Has there ever been an athlete in the history of sports who has had a bigger fall from grace than Tiger? I can't think of any

This has happened to loads of pro golfers over their careers just not so drastically from the best golfer in the world for such a long period. Jack had a horrible season in his late 30's, actually quite cold turkey for a few months and then got it back together although he was past his prime he was competitive in the majors and won that one Masters late in his career. The thing with Tiger IMO is that he believed his own hype past the golf course and his fall from grace with all the bimbo's after getting married and starting a family changed the way he was viewed and treated by the media, fans and the general public. I think that took a toll on him and eventually got to him along with the injuries. Remember he was already having issues physically when that all went down and was likely due for some sort of decline because of it.

Also Tiger in his prime was the most intimidating golfer on tour and he used it to his great advantage but also didn't really make many friends on tour or become well liked because of it. I still remember him getting an official to call a small boulder a loose impediment and getting 4 fans from the gallery to move it for him. This is golf and you are often left to your own devices when it comes to the rules. You know that every other golfer said What that's cheating no matter what the official ruled, as he modified the golf course to give himself an advantage. Plus there have been cheating incidents and penalties during his struggles that make you wonder what other tour players think of him. Either way no one is intimidated and most would like nothing more than to beat him even though I am sure that they all realize that he made them tons of money by boosting the popularity of the game.

That brings me to another point. The reason Tiger is still a story is for the very reason that he was the guy that brought golf to its highest level of popularity ever, while also opening widespread interest with demographics that before him had very little interest. Because of him the money in the game probably quadrupled over the first 5 years of his pro career and golfers make more off the course now than they ever have. This is why he is still a story and a big one. I get you though PoppyHart and agree that at least while the tournament is going on and he is blatantly struggling move on and show us the guys in contention. Do the sob story after the round. Same with seeing a 5 minute minidoc on Fowler when he is +9 or even if he is -5. The US Open is happening show me that.

One last thing PoppyHart. That is a very interesting point you bring up about Tiger dominating certain venues mostly over the course of his career. Its true to a point and I think with the money he was bringing in its also foolish to think that the PGA wasn't at least trying to play a portion of its two major championships on courses he would be in contention on. That said in his prime he was the best golfer in the world without question and would have competed in the majors anywhere IMO. Could you make the argument he would have less major wins? Yes, of course and I'd probably agree. Still would have been the best player in the world during that stretch IMO though.

Nicklaus experienced several slumps during his career, but from the time he won the U.S. Open at age 22, he was remarkably consistent in majors, and never went more than three years between his first 17 professional major victories. His last major, the 1986 Masters, came six years after his 1980 PGA title. We may never see a period of sustained excellence in majors like that again.

Where else can someone be such a non-factor for 7 years and still be the lead attraction.
Hollywood; Johnny Depp.

Has there ever been an athlete in the history of sports who has had a bigger fall from grace than Tiger? I can't think of any
Mike Tyson

It's because those are the courses he played most often. He was selective about where he played, but he pretty much won everywhere he played.

I've been ahead of the Eldrick decline curve, but what I'm seeing is surprising. There is still a chance this is related to his surgery last year, but it seems to be closer to a David Duvall type of flame out. Eldrick might be washed up, not just as a competitor in majors, but as a tour player. No one has yet mentioned it, but he is out of the top 125 - what tour status will he have next year?

then it was awe
then it was hate
then it was laughter
now it's pity and sadness

RIP - Golf game of Eldrick Woods (1975-2015)

I'm curious to know who the believers are, and what they cling to at this stage. Sure, he's dominated 7-8 courses and compiled (I'm guessing) 40% of his wins there (Doral, Torrey, Firestone, Augusta, Bay Hill, Muirfield, and a couple others). But he's also embarrassed himself of late at the same courses (82 at Torrey, 85 at Muirfield, cheating at Augusta). When he sees a course for the first time, he's "replacement level". The last time he's won on a course he didn't have a "history" with was the Match Play in 2008. He's won TWICE in the Northeast in 20 years. 2 times. 7 full years without a major and we still have to watch the train wreck every time a telecast airs. And people complain about ESPN and other media hyping Lebron! Where else can someone be such a non-factor for 7 years and still be the lead attraction?

He has mentally checked out. Now it's time for media and the tv partners to do as well, and focus and the bright spots out there, the Spieths and McIlroys of the game.

It's because those are the courses he played most often. He was selective about where he played, but he pretty much won everywhere he played.

I've been ahead of the Eldrick decline curve, but what I'm seeing is surprising. There is still a chance this is related to his surgery last year, but it seems to be closer to a David Duvall type of flame out. Eldrick might be washed up, not just as a competitor in majors, but as a tour player. No one has yet mentioned it, but he is out of the top 125 - what tour status will he have next year?

Don't you get a lifetime exemption for 20 or more victories, I think he's good on this one.

It was pretty bad yesterday. I mean Tiger absolutely could not get the club around off the tee. He had it stuck behind his body consistently when he swung hard at anything. No way to swing down the line like that and your club face winds up way open at impact as well. I know exactly how that shot feels. ;)

Don't you get a lifetime exemption for 20 or more victories, I think he's good on this one.

To keep your pga tour card, Mike Francesa was just talking about it. He has a lifetime exemption to the Masters, he can play the US Open until 2018, the british open until he is 60, and the pga for life.

To keep your pga tour card, Mike Francesa was just talking about it. He has a lifetime exemption to the Masters, he can play the US Open until 2018, the british open until he is 60, and the pga for life.

So what you are saying is he has a pretty big window of time to get it back together. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom