First scrimmage should be this weekend | Syracusefan.com

First scrimmage should be this weekend

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
Despite the Syracuse University media blackout I believe Syracuse will be involved in there first scrimmage this weekend. There is one planned next weekend for sure.

They are usually closed to the public but this year they haven't even issued a press release about them. Still I'm willing to bet that they new indoor facility will be busy tomorrow.

Probably held at the IPF. No public or media allowed.

Can't let Siena see what we're up to. ;)

Hempstead, NY - The Hofstra Men's Lacrosse team will continue their preseason preparations on Saturday, January 30 when the Pride travel to Syracuse, NY for scrimmages against the Orange of Syracuse and the Dolphins of Le Moyne College at the Ensley Athletic Center on the Syracuse campus.

Due to space and safety concerns, both scrimmages at Syracuse are closed to the general public.

Psychic;)

Hempstead, NY - The Hofstra Men's Lacrosse team will continue their preseason preparations on Saturday, January 30 when the Pride travel to Syracuse, NY for scrimmages against the Orange of Syracuse and the Dolphins of Le Moyne College at the Ensley Athletic Center on the Syracuse campus.

Due to space and safety concerns, both scrimmages at Syracuse are closed to the general public.

Psychic;)

Hey I mentioned it first. Lol. Glad to see a formal announcement.

Total media blackout, can't find any info on the scrimmages anywhere. Bad job by SU at least give out the score and some stats.

According to Lax Power Syracuse fell to Hofstra 9-8. Clearly we dont know the substitution patterns or who did or didnt play but that is still a very bad sign for the Orange. Lost to Towson in the spring as well. Really hope they come out and play well next week vs Brown.

Desktop lost a scrimmage to Hofstra back in 2011.

We only went 15-2 that season.

Desktop lost a scrimmage to Hofstra back in 2011.

We only went 15-2 that season.

Im more concerned about the lack of goals versus the loss to be honest. Go back the last few years, SU was putting up goals in the mid teens, in games versus Towson and Hofstra we didnt even hit double digits. Loss of 5 starters was always going to be tough but it appears the 13 and 14 recruiting classes are really underwhelming. The 2013 class has honestly been a disaster when you consider it was ranked the #2 class in the country that year. At least from an offensive standpoint.

Is anyone left from the 2o13 class?

Staats graduated.
Maltz gone.
Scrubs gone.
Forkin gone.

Basically, there's Evans, Firman, Weston, Simmons, and Lane left on offense from that class. They're gonna get their shot this year.

Is anyone left from the 2o13 class?

Staats graduated.
Maltz gone.
Scrubs gone.
Forkin gone.

Basically, there's Evans, Firman, Weston, Simmons, and Lane left on offense from that class. They're gonna get their shot this year.

Yup I was just thinking the same thing. Not having Maltz or Forkin two guys who were expected to make a big impact might be looming large. I dont even remember Scrubs.

If the offense does struggle all year I think the loss of those guys plus the low ranked 2014 class will be big reasons. I think the 2015 class has several higher end offensive options but those guys will take time to get acclimated. Hindsight being 20/20 that 2014 class probably needed 1 or 2 more high end offensive guys, doesn't appear any of those middies who redshirted have done much yet. I still have high hopes for Thorpe though.

How can you not remember "Scrubs" McGinley?

I think he played in 4 games in two years.

How can you not remember "Scrubs" McGinley?

I think he played in 4 games in two years.

LOL, sorry went way over my head. I thought McGinley could have been a player here. That injury his fresh year when he was making a strong case for the second mid line really screwed him up. Had he not gotten hurt he probably would be starting this year at middie.

Syracuse held its first scrimmages of the preseason on Saturday in the Ensley Athletic Center. The Orange defeated Le Moyne, 10-1, in the only half of play that was open to media members, and lost earlier in the day to Hofstra, 9-8.

With the departure of seven starters and both wings on the faceoff unit from last season, Syracuse head coach John Desko is still doing plenty of mixing and matching.

Here are three takeaways from Syracuse’s first games of 2016.

Ben Williams is healthy, and his success will be even more pivotal this year

After dealing with an offseason shoulder procedure, Syracuse’s faceoff man is at full-go. He converted 12 of his 19 opportunities at the X on Saturday, including a 5-for-6 performance against Le Moyne.

Williams, a junior, is coming off his first season with the Orange as the Atlantic Coast Conference’s leader in faceoff percentage. He scored three times last year from the X, and Desko said he’d like to take further advantage of Williams’ athleticism, keeping him on the field longer past the moment he takes the faceoff.

“(Williams) shoots the ball pretty well on the run, which not a lot of face-off guys do,” Desko said. “So I think that’s an added threat and (if we’re) getting the right matchup in the right situation we’d hope to take advantage of that.”

Cal Paduda backed up Williams at the X, and went 5-for-12 in faceoff attempts between both scrimmages.

Syracuse will roll out a more balanced midfield unit this year

The Orange arguably started five attack nearly every game last year, but the offensive-oriented Hakeem Lecky and Nicky Galasso had to slot in as midfielders. SU graduated its entire first-line midfield, which accounted for nearly a quarter of the team’s points last year.

Saturday showcased a variety of midfield units, with Tim Barber, Sergio Salcido and transfer Nick Mariano a likely trio to get the starting nod. Barber scored four goals between the two scrimmages, including an acrobatic shot as he was falling down about 5 yards in front of the crease.

Salcido added a goal against Hofstra, and his speed on the outside is a big reason the Orange expects a more even performance from its middies this season.

“This year it’s a lot more balanced,” Barber said. “It’s not just the offensive guys that are going to be staying out there, we’re definitely going to be pushing the ball in transition a lot.”

With two weeks until the season opener, there’s still a lot to prove

There’s no definitive way for Syracuse to handle losing five of its top six goal-scorers from a year ago. Junior Jordan Evans said he’s excited to return on attack, a position he vacated the past two years so he could get playing time as a midfielder. He scored twice against Le Moyne, running the offense without Dylan Donahue, who sat out to rest.

“I felt more comfortable today,” Evans said. “It was good to get our offense flowing in this game.”

Nick Piroli, a transfer from Brown, didn’t score on Saturday but will likely stand alongside Donahue and Evans as the third attack.

Defensively, Syracuse returns more starters than any other spot with Jay McDermott and Brandon Mullins anchoring the back line again. The third spot will be filled by freshman Nick Mellen, who didn’t shy away from contact against several of Le Moyne’s attacks.

He stands to be the youngest starter on the field for the Orange this season, something Desko embraces.

“He’s got great quickness in his feet and ability to cover people and clear the ball,” Desko said. “… He’s just someone we’re trying to get as much experience as a freshman as possible with this group.”

Syracuse held its first scrimmages of the preseason on Saturday in the Ensley Athletic Center. The Orange defeated Le Moyne, 10-1, in the only half of play that was open to media members, and lost earlier in the day to Hofstra, 9-8.

With the departure of seven starters and both wings on the faceoff unit from last season, Syracuse head coach John Desko is still doing plenty of mixing and matching.

Here are three takeaways from Syracuse’s first games of 2016.

Ben Williams is healthy, and his success will be even more pivotal this year

After dealing with an offseason shoulder procedure, Syracuse’s faceoff man is at full-go. He converted 12 of his 19 opportunities at the X on Saturday, including a 5-for-6 performance against Le Moyne.

Williams, a junior, is coming off his first season with the Orange as the Atlantic Coast Conference’s leader in faceoff percentage. He scored three times last year from the X, and Desko said he’d like to take further advantage of Williams’ athleticism, keeping him on the field longer past the moment he takes the faceoff.

“(Williams) shoots the ball pretty well on the run, which not a lot of face-off guys do,” Desko said. “So I think that’s an added threat and (if we’re) getting the right matchup in the right situation we’d hope to take advantage of that.”

Cal Paduda backed up Williams at the X, and went 5-for-12 in faceoff attempts between both scrimmages.

Syracuse will roll out a more balanced midfield unit this year

The Orange arguably started five attack nearly every game last year, but the offensive-oriented Hakeem Lecky and Nicky Galasso had to slot in as midfielders. SU graduated its entire first-line midfield, which accounted for nearly a quarter of the team’s points last year.

Saturday showcased a variety of midfield units, with Tim Barber, Sergio Salcido and transfer Nick Mariano a likely trio to get the starting nod. Barber scored four goals between the two scrimmages, including an acrobatic shot as he was falling down about 5 yards in front of the crease.

Salcido added a goal against Hofstra, and his speed on the outside is a big reason the Orange expects a more even performance from its middies this season.

“This year it’s a lot more balanced,” Barber said. “It’s not just the offensive guys that are going to be staying out there, we’re definitely going to be pushing the ball in transition a lot.”

With two weeks until the season opener, there’s still a lot to prove

There’s no definitive way for Syracuse to handle losing five of its top six goal-scorers from a year ago. Junior Jordan Evans said he’s excited to return on attack, a position he vacated the past two years so he could get playing time as a midfielder. He scored twice against Le Moyne, running the offense without Dylan Donahue, who sat out to rest.

“I felt more comfortable today,” Evans said. “It was good to get our offense flowing in this game.”

Nick Piroli, a transfer from Brown, didn’t score on Saturday but will likely stand alongside Donahue and Evans as the third attack.

Defensively, Syracuse returns more starters than any other spot with Jay McDermott and Brandon Mullins anchoring the back line again. The third spot will be filled by freshman Nick Mellen, who didn’t shy away from contact against several of Le Moyne’s attacks.

He stands to be the youngest starter on the field for the Orange this season, something Desko embraces.

“He’s got great quickness in his feet and ability to cover people and clear the ball,” Desko said. “… He’s just someone we’re trying to get as much experience as a freshman as possible with this group.”

Nice to see the DO write something up on the scrimmages.

A few random thoughts.

Ill take what I can get but honestly I wish they had seen the Hofstra first half vs Lemoyne. Still good to see SU dominated Lemoyne without Donahue who I assume played against Hofstra.

Not surprised at all that Barber played Midfield, its the position Syracuse needs him at the most and with all three starters gone from last year they need that experience there.

Interesting that Salcido and Mariano started. I though Mariano and Piroli would swap with Piroli starting at middie and Mariano at attack. Mariano does add another scorer to the mid line while Piroli will do a lot as a distributor so I can see the reasons behind it. Not shocked about Salcido but definitely surprised he started, huge opportunity for the kid really hope he takes advantage. If nothing else could provide a real spark on the second line.

A bit dissapointed the DO did Ben Williams as one of there 3 takeaways. We know how good he is, what have rather heard about the freshmen and the rest of the midfield. I think its clear SU needs Ben Williams to have a monster year to just about anyone who follows Lacrosse. Glad to see Evans was happy about being back at attack, he and Weston really need to step up this year.

Per the article, Syracuse pulled there starters in the fourth quarter vs Hofstra and they had a running 10 min shortened clock. Makes me feel a lot better about the score. Tons of great tidbits to take from that article. Thorpe and some of the Frosh are going to play a lot.

Dylan Donahue gets day off: 8 takeaways from Syracuse men's lacrosse scrimmages (PS: Kramer)

The Syracuse University men's lacrosse team got its first competition against players in different jerseys on Saturday with a pair of abbreviated scrimmages.

The Orange lost to Hofstra 9-8 in a game that was ended in the fourth quarter. It then beat LeMoyne 10-1 in a 30-minute test.

Both games were held at the Ensley Athletic Center. They were closed to the public but the media was allowed to watch the Le Moyne game.

In the Hofstra game, Tim Barber scored three times for the Orange, Gale Thorpe tallied twice and Matt Lane contributed a goal and two assists. Ben Williams was 7-of-13 on faceoffs and Cal Paduda was 3-of-8.

Jordan Evans, Matt Lane and Ryan Simmons each tallied twice against Le Moyne. Williams won five of six draws, Paduda won two of four and Joe DeMarco was successful on all three of his attempts.

Here are eight takeaways from the action:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom