Class of 2015 - fishes and loaves - question | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 fishes and loaves - question

Yeah but don't we have Richie Rene for another season?

Richie Rene, Richie Desiray, and Richie Dene. They're all permanently part of the program. Don't sleep on them!

Richie Rene, Richie Desiray, and Richie Dene. They're all permanently part of the program. Don't sleep on them!

Well at least our defensive backfield and return teams are set for the next decade.

Don't forget about our assistant Head Coach Scott Schafer (beer). Here's to him having a better year in 2015.

Which would leave 1 spot for a potential JUCO. What positions have we been, or should we be looking to fill? I'd be looking for a speed wr or cb with experience in the return game if we can find one.
I was bored while working a weekend and was looking at the JUCO site for prospects. The only player not verbally committed that has interest in Syracuse was Dunkelberger. I wish we would/could have shown more interest in some of these guys. There has to be some playmakers that are taking the JUCO route, that want to play immediately and could make an impact.

orangencpolice said:
I was bored while working a weekend and was looking at the JUCO site for prospects. The only player not verbally committed that has interest in Syracuse was Dunkelberger. I wish we would/could have shown more interest in some of these guys. There has to be some playmakers that are taking the JUCO route, that want to play immediately and could make an impact.

We seem to be backing off on juco kids.

But we need playmakers in the worst way. Not gonna win a lot with the few we have.

We seem to be backing off on juco kids.

But we need playmakers in the worst way. Not gonna win a lot with the few we have.

Well to be fair, one of the positions we really have a need at is QB and the JUCO QB class this year looks extremely weak top to bottom. So if the quality isn't there, it's probably better we don't go that route.

I think we should give this kid a call as he’s from Miami, FL (champagnat catholic) same HS as Gerald Robinson

OT Glen Bethel – 6-6 300 Arizona Western – Open (O) Arizona, Florida, Kansas, Marshall, OK St, Texas Tech, Wake

Unless they're very concerned with depth or the incoming players and young players on the D-Line, I have been told Sloan will not be asked to come back for a 5th year. Now, this was prior to this season, so things may have changed.

We have 6 returning DL coming back not counting Sloan or walk-ons, of which there are two. Also, there are 4- incoming FR commits currently labeled as DL and talk of at least one more. So that's a possible 11 without Sloan. That's a pretty healthy number within that position group, going nearly 3-deep with scholarship players.

Well to be fair, one of the positions we really have a need at is QB and the JUCO QB class this year looks extremely weak top to bottom. So if the quality isn't there, it's probably better we don't go that route.
Yeah. Chad Kelly is the top rated QB who they are saying is looking hard at VT. They can have him and all of his ego. I just wish we would try to go after three or even four kids that fit our offense or defense and really want to play early. I guess this is why I'm not in the coaching business.

Unless they're very concerned with depth or the incoming players and young players on the D-Line, I have been told Sloan will not be asked to come back for a 5th year. Now, this was prior to this season, so things may have changed.

We have 6 returning DL coming back not counting Sloan or walk-ons, of which there are two. Also, there are 4- incoming FR commits currently labeled as DL and talk of at least one more. So that's a possible 11 without Sloan. That's a pretty healthy number within that position group, going nearly 3-deep with scholarship players.

i 1000 % would not agree with that decision, and think it's major league stupid.

even if the kid never left the bench next year, the mere fact that we're going to be under 85 makes it dumb. Not even taking into account that he has more tackles than Wayne Williams (9), John Raymon (6), Marcus Coleman (5) and Isaiah Johnson (4) this season. (throw in Donnie Simmons to boot if we're including the entire Dline.)

320 some lbs who went through the season, makes ZERO sense to not ask him back. Rely on two redshirt frosh for depth? no thanks.

i 1000 % would not agree with that decision, and think it's major league stupid.

even if the kid never left the bench next year, the mere fact that we're going to be under 85 makes it dumb. Not even taking into account that he has more tackles than Wayne Williams (9), John Raymon (6), Marcus Coleman (5) and Isaiah Johnson (4) this season. (throw in Donnie Simmons to boot if we're including the entire Dline.)

320 some lbs who went through the season, makes ZERO sense to not ask him back. Rely on two redshirt frosh for depth? no thanks.

If they can't get to 85 I'm sure they'd re-think their position. Again, remember this is pre-2014 season. If they can get to 85, and he's never going to leave the bench, I'd rather use that scholly for a young player in that position group to RS.

Maybe he turned into a more dedicated player over the course of this season. It's possible he's earned what he couldn't previously over the past 4 months.

Or

Maybe he hasn't. Maybe they'd rather reward a long-term walk-on that's worked twice as hard.

If they can't get to 85 I'm sure they'd re-think their position. Again, remember this is pre-2014 season. If they can get to 85, and he's never going to leave the bench, I'd rather use that scholly for a young player in that position group to RS.

Maybe he turned into a more dedicated player over the course of this season. It's possible he's earned what he couldn't previously over the past 4 months.

Or

Maybe he hasn't. Maybe they'd rather reward a long-term walk-on that's worked twice as hard.

I'm not shooting the messenger I'm just voicing my opinion if that's how they feel.

they definitely wont fill his scholie this year with a young kid in addition to the known open scholies.

I understand that was pre-season but if they they think they should still cut bait knowing our depth situation, roster numbers and project rookies thats a poor decision.

as for his play, he's gotten a lot of run the last few weeks and he's been pretty disruptive inside and I thought had a real good game against Duke. He's hard to move. to my eyes he's improved ten fold in his first season of getting snaps. he's clearly working hard when he's out there.

Last edited:

Or

While I would hope they'd go out and use that scholarship on a HS kid, I understand why they would be cutting bait with Sloan. He has seemingly been in the doghouse for 4 years. Seems like most of it has been self-inflicted.

I'm not shooting the messenger I'm just voicing my opinion if that's how they feel.

they definitely wont fill his scholie this year with a young kid in addition to the known open scholies.

I understand that was pre-season but if they they think they should still cut bait knowing our depth situation, roster numbers and project rookies thats a poor decision.

as for his play, he's gotten a lot of run the last few weeks and he's been pretty disruptive inside and I thought had a real good game against Duke. He's hard to move. to my eyes he's improved ten fold in his first season of getting snaps. he's clearly working hard when he's out there.

No, I understand, I didn't think you were being critical of what I said. And I agree that he's improved significantly. I always root for the kids, and, hope he gets a 5th for his sake. Can't say I'm optimistic though.

PhatOrange said:
you're right i'm a dummy (i was putting the 3 in 2014 instead of 2013). We can take a combination of 4-7 early to get to 29.

If we don't we're going to be playing under the 85 cap again.

Interesting thought we play at or under the cap by 1-2 every year usually due to qualification of Frosh.

Under the cap made me think. We have trouble acquiring preferred walk ons due to the cost of SU Tuition maybe we should focus our preferred walkon recruiting on New York State kids and the best 1AA/D2 level players from very wealthy school districts in good football areas. It needs to be a shot to play D1 Ball or passion for the program where the cost is outweighed.

Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1 3m
Shafer said Syracuse put paperwork in to NCAA for LB Luke Arciniega to get a medical redshirt.

That gets us to anywhere between 56-61 returning players.

If we assume that Eskridge, Funderburke, George, and Sloan are gone, and Arciniega returns, that's 57 returnees ... and room for 28 newbies.

Last edited:
Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1 3m
Shafer said Syracuse put paperwork in to NCAA for LB Luke Arciniega to get a medical redshirt.

That gets us to anywhere between 56-61 returning players.

If we assume that Eskridge, Funderburke, George, and Sloan are gone, and Arciniega returns, that's 57 returnees ... and room for 28 newbies.
If he comes back they should consider moving him to DE, he's a big, physical kid. I'm sure he would be a pretty good pass rusher, plus he really wouldn't play that much at Linebacker if he came back, gotta think they move him to DE

Holy hell, Funderburk is one game away from going his (potentially) last season without a single reception.

One thing I either forgot or didn't know - Quinta was a high school teammate of Jaston George.

Holy hell, Funderburk is one game away from going his (potentially) last season without a single reception.

One thing I either forgot or didn't know - Quinta was a high school teammate of Jaston George.

Didn't he have at least one catch last year? In the BC game perhaps? I could be wrong.

Yup - three catches for 50 yards is the total of his Syracuse football career, unless something changes with the depth chart on Saturday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom