Floyd Little made it to the FiNAL round... time to vote again... | Syracusefan.com

Floyd Little made it to the FiNAL round... time to vote again...

Thank you for voting!
Floyd Little 97.74% (7,666 votes)

Jim O'Rourke 2.26% (177 votes)

Total Votes: 7,843

I want to thank everyone on here that works so hard to keep us all up to date on all the SU athletics news. You all do a great job.

But, seeing the original combatants for this competition, I can't help think how we missed out on the opportunity to make this a Floyd Little vs. Dwight Freeney final, if we had only noticed this poll a little earlier.
I also can't help thinking, that if OE was still around, he would have made sure we found this poll soon enough to do it. I just wanted to say, we miss you OE, and the world is a little less orange without you!

i dont want to coast to the end... but i think Floyd is in good position here. In the hour since DOCSU voted it is 335-1 if i did my math correctly.

Thank you for voting!
Floyd Little 97.82% (8,001 votes)

Jim O'Rourke 2.18% (178 votes)

Total Votes: 8,179
Comments (0) Create Your Own Poll

Keis Dayton, the article's author asks:

"Or…the real question, “Will Syracuse hang a banner in the Carrier Dome if ol’ Floyd takes home the title?”

Hey, why didn't I think of that? "Floyd Little... the greatest athlete in Connecticut history. . . is a Syracuse guy!"

Last edited:
Keis Dayton, the article's author asks:

"Or…the real question, “Will Syracuse hang a banner in the Carrier Dome if ol’ Floyd takes home the title?”

Hey, why didn't I think of that? "Floyd Little... the greatest athlete in Connecticut history. . . is a Syracuse guy!"
After he wins, I suspect that an SU Bookstore T-Shirt is more likely.

Was Calvin Murphy in this thing? I am sorry if it was discussed, but it would seem to me that the discussion should be Calvin Murphy vs Floyd Little, no disrespect to Bruce Jenner or Steve Young.

orangefog said:
Was Calvin Murphy in this thing? I am sorry if it was discussed, but it would seem to me that the discussion should be Calvin Murphy vs Floyd Little, no disrespect to Bruce Jenner or Steve Young.

He got edged out by Orourke in the sweet 16. Those uconn people hVe a certain affinity for the first player to get a hit in the national league.

He got edged out by Orourke in the sweet 16. Those uconn people hVe a certain affinity for the first player to get a hit in the national league.
I just read a bit about Jim O'Rourke, and while he sounds like a fine early baseball player, Calvin Murphy was a freak, and I mean that in a very complimentary way.

http://cuse.com/news/2015/9/1/FB_0901154323.aspx

Floyd Little Voted Connecticut’s Greatest Athlete

Former Syracuse standout and Hall of Fame running back Floyd Little was voted as the greatest athlete in Connecticut history at the conclusion of SportzEdge's bracket-style tournament that lasted over a month.

SportzEdge, powered by News 8, hosted the tournament on their website and when it was all said and done, Little was voted by fans as the best athlete.

Little, a New Haven native and running back for the Denver Broncos led the AFL in rushing in 1968 and '71. He was a two-time AFL All-Star and three-time AFC-NFC Pro Bowl selection. Spending his entire professional career with the Broncos, Little was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2010.

The championship round had second-seeded Little take on third-seed Jim O'Rourke. O'Rourke played 21 seasons in the major leagues, collecting over 2,600 hits and batting .311 for his career. Elected into the Baseball Hall of the Fame in 1945, O'Rourke recorded the first hit in National League history in 1876.

There were 44,902 total votes in the championship round and Little tallied 44,453 of them, blowing out O'Rourke for the win.

Here is the road to Little's victory:

First Round: Defeated No. 15 Mike Gminski (61% to 39%)
Second Round: Defeated No. 10 John Williamson (84% to 16%)
Sweet 16: Defeated No. 6 Bob Skoronski (61% to 39%)
Elite Eight: Defeated No. 9 Ken Strong (98% to 2%)
Final Four: Defeated No. 11 Jimmy Piersall (98% to 2%)
Championship: Defeated No. 3 Jim O'Rourke (99% to 1%)

Congratulations to Floyd Little on being voted Connecticut's greatest athlete of all-time!

http://cuse.com/news/2015/9/1/FB_0901154323.aspx

Floyd Little Voted Connecticut’s Greatest Athlete

Former Syracuse standout and Hall of Fame running back Floyd Little was voted as the greatest athlete in Connecticut history at the conclusion of SportzEdge's bracket-style tournament that lasted over a month.

SportzEdge, powered by News 8, hosted the tournament on their website and when it was all said and done, Little was voted by fans as the best athlete.

Little, a New Haven native and running back for the Denver Broncos led the AFL in rushing in 1968 and '71. He was a two-time AFL All-Star and three-time AFC-NFC Pro Bowl selection. Spending his entire professional career with the Broncos, Little was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2010.

The championship round had second-seeded Little take on third-seed Jim O'Rourke. O'Rourke played 21 seasons in the major leagues, collecting over 2,600 hits and batting .311 for his career. Elected into the Baseball Hall of the Fame in 1945, O'Rourke recorded the first hit in National League history in 1876.

There were 44,902 total votes in the championship round and Little tallied 44,453 of them, blowing out O'Rourke for the win.

Here is the road to Little's victory:

First Round: Defeated No. 15 Mike Gminski (61% to 39%)
Second Round: Defeated No. 10 John Williamson (84% to 16%)
Sweet 16: Defeated No. 6 Bob Skoronski (61% to 39%)
Elite Eight: Defeated No. 9 Ken Strong (98% to 2%)
Final Four: Defeated No. 11 Jimmy Piersall (98% to 2%)
Championship: Defeated No. 3 Jim O'Rourke (99% to 1%)

Congratulations to Floyd Little on being voted Connecticut's greatest athlete of all-time!

Winner shoulda been Mark Konecny...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom