Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
1_peacecorps_logo_0.jpg

Welcome to Peace Corps Day!

Newly elected President John F. Kennedy issues an executive order establishing the Peace Corps. It proved to be one of the most innovative and highly publicized Cold War programs set up by the United States.

During the course of his campaign for the presidency in 1960, Kennedy floated the idea that a new “army” should be created by the United States. This force would be made up of civilians who would volunteer their time and skills to travel to underdeveloped nations to assist them in any way they could.

SU News

Tar Heels Discuss Controversial Call That Helped Give Them a Victory Over Syracuse (dailytarheel.com; Marks)

Brice Johnson is screaming — again. Fists clenched, arms flexed. You know how he gets. But this time is different; it’s more than a basketball play. There’s a minute and change left in the No. 8 North Carolina men’s basketball team’s eventual 75-70 win over Syracuse, but at the time, UNC is only up three points.

Joel Berry pulls the trigger from deep, uncorking a shot just behind the arc. It clanks — hard — off the rim. Find the ball, get to the ball. Who has the ball?

This is where Johnson comes in. He leaps in the air, one white shirt in a mob of orange ones, and somehow manages to get his hands on the ball.

“What other person would you expect to get that rebound?” Kennedy Meeks said.

Now it’s Berry’s turn to wait, but there’s no mad dash for the rebound this time. Johnson hops back up and lets go of a floater. Swish.

“Thank God he’s down there getting the rebound,” Berry said. “I don’t know what the score was at that point, but we needed it to close out the game."

Review of Syracuse Loss to UNC (photo gallery; PS; Axe)

635923938582138066-USP-NCAA-BASKETBALL-SYRACUSE-AT-NORTH-CAROLINA-80114266_671348_ver1.0.JPG

Watch UNC's Marcus Paige Pay Homage to Roy Williams (12news.com)

Senior nights in college basketball are about for home crowds to celebrate veteran players for the final time.

On Monday night in Chapel Hill after No. 8 North Carolina's 75-70 win vs. Syracuse, Tar Heels senior Marcus Paige turned the tables. He was the one offering the tribute instead of receiving it, and he did it in a remarkable way.

Paige could barely hold it together, and his coach, Roy Williams, gave up trying as he listened to his star guard's kind words.

Other

19850529-mmmain.jpg

Syracuse Residents Want Change But Question Merger with Onondaga County (PS; Knauss)

Concerns about political power dominated a public comment session tonight in Syracuse about the potential for a city-county merger.

About 70 people turned out for a meeting at the Southwest Community Center to discuss the Consensus commission proposal to create a metropolitan government.

Some speakers, including City Councilor Khalid Bey, were hostile to the plan. Others said they were puzzled by what the new government would look like and who would write its rules, details that Consensus has not prescribed.

Still other speakers emphasized the need for change and expressed hope that the Consensus initiative would yield progress.

"I think we all agree that something different needs to be done,'' said Bishop Ronald Dewberry, pastor of New Life Temple of Praise. Dewberry said discussions about government reform have gone on for at least two decades, while poverty and lack of employment have driven city residents away.

I am surprised that the announcers on our games never seem to talk about the warm ups and the whole situation.....unless I consistently miss it? Last night I missed the pre-game, maybe it was discussed?

I am surprised that the announcers on our games never seem to talk about the warm ups and the whole situation...unless I consistently miss it? Last night I missed the pre-game, maybe it was discussed?

Senior night at the Dean Dome ... I guess ESPN couldn't find time to squeeze it in. They barely mentioned that SU was even playing. :rolleyes:

Senior night at the Dean Dome ... I guess ESPN couldn't find time to squeeze it in. They barely mentioned that SU was even playing. :rolleyes:

I guess I'm not surprised that it didn't get mentioned yesterday, but if first struck me before the NC State game.

As far as ESPN was concerned, it was Big Monday because UNC was playing. Just think of all the UNC highlights. How many did you see of Syracuse?

Syracuse
19–11, 9–8 ACC
RPI: 54, SOS: 46, Kenpom.com: 42
Current Bracket Watch seed: 10

The Orange have nine wins in one of the best conferences in the country, but that no longer guarantees a team on at-large bid. Just two of their wins (at Duke, vs. Notre Dame) came against tourney locks. At this point, they can’t afford an ugly loss, but they also probably need one more strong win to impress the committee. The Orange are 4–8 against the RPI top 50.

Remaining regular season schedule: at Florida State

Path to safety: After losing to North Carolina on Monday, they probably need to go on a run in the ACC tournament to feel comfortable on Selection Sunday. They absolutely need to beat Florida State in their regular season finale. The last thing they want to do is go into Selection Sunday off a loss to a team like Virginia Tech or North Carolina State, their likely opening round opponents in the ACC tourney.

Syracuse
19–11, 9–8 ACC
RPI: 54, SOS: 46, Kenpom.com: 42
Current Bracket Watch seed: 10

The Orange have nine wins in one of the best conferences in the country, but that no longer guarantees a team on at-large bid. Just two of their wins (at Duke, vs. Notre Dame) came against tourney locks. At this point, they can’t afford an ugly loss, but they also probably need one more strong win to impress the committee. The Orange are 4–8 against the RPI top 50.

Remaining regular season schedule: at Florida State

Path to safety: After losing to North Carolina on Monday, they probably need to go on a run in the ACC tournament to feel comfortable on Selection Sunday. They absolutely need to beat Florida State in their regular season finale. The last thing they want to do is go into Selection Sunday off a loss to a team like Virginia Tech or North Carolina State, their likely opening round opponents in the ACC tourney.
Pretty much any casual college hoops off the street could come up with as accurate a prognosis for us as this Michael Beller does. He substantially overstates what we need to do to be in. Misinformed takes like his are what fuel the off-base nervous nellies around here