Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
logo.gif

Welcome to Pay It Forward Day!

There is tremendous power and positive energy in giving – it is a shame that not enough people have experienced it to the fullest. Pay It Forward Day is about all people, from all walks of life giving to someone else and making a positive difference. At last count there were more than 5 million people in 78 countries around the world participating on the day.

So why Pay it Forward?
  • To encourage all of us to embrace the incredible power of giving.
  • To show each other that we care and that there is love, hope and magic all around us.
  • To know that we may be only one person in this world, but to one person, at one time, we are the world.
Together we can change the world – one good deed at a time!

SU News

4c2bb5092a941c5a8d8dd366a99de0f4_crop_exact.jpg

Syracuse Basketball: Matthew Moyer is Orange's Unofficial Social Media Recruiter (TNIAAM; Orsenigo)

Matthew Moyer's Syracuse career is off to quite an interesting start.

The 6'8" senior forward from South Kent (Conn.) Prep is one half of the Orange's current 2016 recruiting class. He's rated 74th overall in his class by ESPN and Scout, and 59th by 247Sports. Last month, he was named the Gatorade State Player of the Year in Connecticut. His body size is sure to draw comparisons to the long line of long, lanky, athletic wingers to play for the Syracuse Orange.

And yet, six months before he will pull on the Syracuse jersey for the first time, Moyer is already making an impact on the future of Syracuse basketball. He's not doing so using his size, athleticism, or ability to get to the basket. For now, he's using perhaps the most powerful tool at his disposal: his Twitter handle.

This coming weekend, Syracuse will be hosting a trio of highly-ranked 2017 recruits: Hamidou Diallo, Quade Green, and Jordan Tucker. All three are ranked in the top 50 of ESPN's and Rivals' current rankings, so this is shaping up to be one of the most significant recruiting weekends in recent Syracuse basketball history.

And, guess who else will be making an appearance on campus this weekend? Matthew Moyer, of course. When he heard that Jordan Tucker would be visiting this weekend, he exchanged messages with him on Twitter:

i

Jerome Robinson Averaged 11.7 ppg as a frosh

BC Hopes the Worst of the Rebuilding Process is Over (espn; Brown)

Boston College achieved the wrong kind of perfection last season. Along with its football team going 0-8 in ACC play, it became the first Power 5 school to go winless in football and men’s basketball since TCU in 1976-77. The BC basketball team accounted for an 0-19 mark against ACC competition, which includes losing in the league tournament.

The Eagles were the first team to go winless in ACC play since Maryland in the 1986-87 season, but back then they played only 14 regular-season conference games. While the Terrapins were hampered by the fallout from the death of Len Bias, the Eagles’ decline began shortly after they inexplicably forced Al Skinner out in 2010.

Other

17609986-large.jpg

Mountain Goat Run, Irish Feis Coming to CNY This Weekend (PS; Tulloch)

1. Spring Fest 2016
The Syracuse International Film Festival hosts the third annual Spring Fest on the last weekend of April, dedicated to filmmakers and musicians with a connection to Central New York. A panel of judges will select the best in local films for attendees to view.
Where: Palace Theater at 2384 James St.
When: Thursday, April 28 at 6 p.m., Friday, April 29 from 5:30 to 11 p.m., Saturday, April 30 from 10 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. and Sunday, May 1 from 1 to 8 p.m.
How much: 1 Day/$10, 1 Day Couple/$25, Festival Pass/$25,
Festival Couple/$40.

2. 'Romeo & Juliet' in concert
Student actors and musicians team up to celebrate the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare's death, alongside music inspired by the timeless tale of "Romeo and Juliet." Performers include members of the Boot & Buskin Theatre Troupe and the Le Moyne College Chamber Orchestra.
Where: Le Moyne College Performing Arts Center at 200 Springfield Rd.
When: Thursday, April 28 through Saturday, April 30, 7:30 to 9:30 p.m.
How much: $15 general, $10 seniors, $5 students.

Duke and UNC will NEVER let this happen.
Ah, but how can they change it? The legislators and governor are doubling down. I was just in NC for 9 days and the people there are hopping mad - and embarrassed. I saw a number of signs outside of bathrooms stating they do NOT discriminate. Will business people and other LGBT-friendly people go to the polls in November and vote these government officials out of office? This will be a most interesting story to follow.

Ah, but how can they change it? The legislators and governor are doubling down. I was just in NC for 9 days and the people there are hopping mad - and embarrassed. I saw a number of signs outside of bathrooms stating they do NOT discriminate. Will business people and other LGBT-friendly people go to the polls in November and vote these government officials out of office? This will be a most interesting story to follow.
Folks here ARE mad and embarrassed. We're all being painted by the same ignorant brush by politicians in their ivory tower in Raleigh, who listen to dog-whistle phrases like "Bathroom Bill" and then act accordingly.
The Governor and State Senate overreached badly in their response to the original bill, and injected items in the bill that had little to do w/ the transgender topic at all. Like some other segments of society in Carolina, they are being dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century by the reaction of the world around them.
I've lived in Charlotte for 6 years now. The people are gracious, kind, salt-of-the-earth kinda folks who just wanna go about their business, but there are some who feel it necessary to tell everyone else how they should act or be. The Charlotte Bill was not a big deal to anyone, but the response was an outrageous overreach. Right now they're just trying to find a way to graciously scale it back with minimal embarrassment. That can't happen soon enough. JMHO

As long as Duke and Unc fans are throwing down money, I don't see it changing.

But doesn't it matter what part of NC you are talking about? I was in a roadside diner near Wilkesboro awhile back and thought I'd been transported into the 50's looking at and listening to the crew sitting there.

But doesn't it matter what part of NC you are talking about? I was in a roadside diner near Wilkesboro awhile back and thought I'd been transported into the 50's looking at and listening to the crew sitting there.
Yes, in general the major cities are progressive and the smaller cities and countryside conservative. When we first lived in Durham in the early 70's, it was completely backwater. No restaurants were open on Sundays, drugstores only opened on Sunday afternoons, and you could not buy anything "frivolous" on that day. (I found that out to my rue when I tried to buy hairspray.) Today, Durham is absolutely thriving. Restaurants, boutiques, condos, a new cultural arts center right next to the renovated Durham Bulls stadium, the old tobacco warehouses turned into shops and bistros, with a little stream meandering through it where concerts are held!

Mind-blowing.