Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
now-that-is-a-hairballhweo.jpg

Welcome to National Hairball Awareness Day!

National Hairball Awareness Day is observed annually on the last Friday in April. This day is listed as one of the Pet Health Awareness Events of the American Veterinary Medical Association. The formation of hairballs is a common feline condition that is brought on by self-grooming and the associated ingestion of hair.

HOW TO OBSERVE

Observe National Hairball Day by becoming educated about this condition. Visit http://www.hillspet.com/our-company/national-hairball-awareness-day.html to learn about things you can do to prevent your cat from developing hairballs. Share your love for your cat using #HairballAwarenessDay on social media. Or wear a hairball on your lapel!

SU News

-06dc6553a9e2ea6c.JPG

Pearl Washington Remembered for Being Gentleman, Great Athlete and 'Wicked Cool' (PS; your letters)

Friendship forged during hospital stay

To the Editor:

The sad news of the passing of Pearl Washington makes me recall our chance meeting in August 2015. My husband who suffered a stroke was a patient at Crouse Hospital. When my husband was wheeled into his hospital room, we were amazed to see he was Pearl's roommate.

Everyone in the Silverbush family – including three of our children who attended Syracuse University -- loved everything Pearl stood for, as did every SU fan.

Over the next five days, we would see and talk about basketball and life in general. Pearl wasn't just a storyteller. He was a good listener, who in spite of his health issues, genuinely cared about my husband's health and others. Here was this larger-than-life hero to many, with this serious illness, who continued to smile and make all those around him feel better.

He was as great a man off the court as he was a player on the court. Pearl called my husband "Poppi" and I will never forget how he made all of us feel. He will be missed.

maxresdefault.jpg

John Gillon Names Syracuse to Top 3, Will Visit Today (the juice; Cheng)

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the friends and family of Pearl Washington, whogathered to celebrate his life on Thursday. On to today’s recruiting links…

Colorado State graduate transfer guard John Gillon has narrowed his list to three, heposted on Twitter. The three schools are Syracuse, Texas A&M and Oklahoma. CBS Sports’ Jon Rothstein reports that he will take a visit to Syracuse this weekend.

B9316423316Z.1_20150227210702_000_GDHA37RNR.1-0.jpg

Spike Albrecht Visiting SU This Weekend (TNIAAM; Ceva)

The University of Michigan's Spike Albrecht, a 5-foot-11 guard, is headed upstate this weekend to meet with coaches and tour the facilities at Syracuse, according to CuseNation.com.

Albrecht saw action in only eight games this season, all before January, after undergoing bilateral hip surgery last summer. In his junior year, he averaged 7.5 points per game. He has the combined skills of a point guard and shooting guard as a good ball handler and outside shooter. Albrecht also has the vision to create plays on the court. The Orange are in need of a guard, particularly in the case that Malachi Richardson leaves for the NBA for good, which is very likely considering his current rise on daily draft boards. After missing out on Columbia's Grant Mullins, Albrecht could certainly be that guy.

Other

borat.jpg

Utica Woman Imprisoned for Taking $10K to Marry Man So He Could Stay in U.S. (PS; O'Brien)

A Utica woman was sentenced to more than a year in prison today for taking $10,000 to marry a Gambian national so he could stay in the United States.

U.S. District Judge Glenn Suddaby sentenced Zubeda Kalume to 14 months in prison on her conviction of entering into a fraudulent marriage.

A jury convicted Kalume in December following a four-day trial. Kalume, 42, is a naturalized American originally from the Congo.

In October 2009, she married Alieu Jaiteh in DeWitt. He's a citizen of Gambia, a nation on the coast of West Africa.

Kalume was convicted of agreeing to marry Jaiteh for $10,000 and then helping him get temporary legal immigration status.

Jaiteh, who entered the U.S. on a student visa, was convicted of conspiring to commit more than $1.7 million in federal food stamp fraud from 2009-2012. He was sentenced in April to 18 months in prison.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom