Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
cinco_de_mayo_comment_18.jpg

Welcome to Cinco de Mayo!

Cinco de Mayo (pronounced: [ˈsiŋko ðe ˈmaʝo]; Spanish for "May 5th", or literally, "Five of May") is a celebration held on May 5. The date is observed to commemorate the Mexican Army's unlikely victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, under the leadership of General Ignacio Zaragoza.[1][2] In the United States, Cinco de Mayo is sometimes mistaken to be Mexico's Independence Day—the most important national holiday in Mexico—which is celebrated on September 16.

SU News

%7BD4ABA631-1C73-4178-B414-FC1A3FF9D719%7Dflexible.jpg

Omer Yurtseven

5-Star 2016 7 Foot Turkish Center Visits Syracuse (TNIAAM; Weinheimer)

He's tall, can shoot, and would be an opponent's nightmare blocking shots in Jim Boeheim's 2-3 zone.

Mike Waters of Syracuse.com has reported Turkish prospect Omer Yurtseven visited the Carmelo K. Anthony Basketball Center this week and apparently has interest in the Orange. Yurtseven is a seven-foot center in the 2016 class who could be a huge get for Syracuse as they look to potentially add another big man for next season.

The Orange have been targeted big men for 2016 but have yet to land one. Mali's Cheickna Dembele committed to UNLV recently, while the team still awaits a decision from 6-10 forward Taurean Thompson. The Jersey City (N.J.) prospect just visited the Orange last weekend, but also received an offer from Michigan State of late. The Spartans are pushing for him to take a trip up to East Lansing, Mich., while Seton Hall also remains in hot pursuit.

While European prospects can be hard to judge at times, the consensus around college basketball appears to be very high on Yurtseven. He currently has schools like North Carolina, Arizona, Ohio State, and Kentucky interested in his services.

With an addition like Yurtseven, Syracuse could be looking at a very deep (nine- or 10-deep) rotation, something Jim Boeheim doesn't use very often. With Syracuse coming in to the mix after all of these other teams expressed interest in him, one can only take that as a positive in hopes for a potential signing.

images

Boeheim & Babers Headline Syracuse Alumni Event at Monroe Country Club (D&C; DiVeronica)

Syracuse University basketball coach Jim Boeheim, new football coach Dino Babers and athletic director Mark Coyle will headline the 57th annual SU Alumni Club of Rochester's awards/scholarship event May 17 at Monroe Golf Club.

The event, which runs from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. and includes dinner, is open to alums and the general public. Tickets are $65 and are available at http://emailgen.syr.edu/rochesterbanquet/. For more information, call Mary Harris at 721-3221 or e-mail mharris1@rochester.rr.com.

Boeheim's basketball team is coming off an improbable run to the Final Four. The native of Lyons, Wayne County, and Naismith Basketball Hall of Famer just completed his 40th season. Babers replaced Scott Shafer in December and is known for fielding teams with an up-tempo, entertaining offense. His Bowling Green squad over the past two seasons went 18-9. Last fall, the Falcons won the MAC Championship, ranked third in the country in yards per game (566) and fourth in scoring (44 points per game).

Taurean Thompson Emerges as New Late Target for Spartans (mlive.com; Austin)

One potential late 2016 Michigan State recruit is now off the board, but another has emerged.

Michigan State has shown interest in recruiting four-star forward Taurean Thompson, according to a tweet from his high school coach, Jason Smith.

Thompson (6-foot-9, 200 pounds) is ranked the No. 79 player in the country by the 247sports composite. He played last season for Brewster Academy in New Hampshire after previously playing for St. Anthony in New Jersey.

Other schools interested in Thompson include Syracuse, Seton Hall and Connecticut. Thompson took a weekend visit to Syracuse.

Smith told SNY.tv this week that no other visits are scheduled at this point but that Michigan State has expressed intererest in having Thompson visit. No date has been set for Thompson's commitment.

So Who is Colorado State Transfer John Gillon? (TNIAAM; Keeley)

Over the weekend we found out that Colorado State Rams grad transfer John Gillon had decided to play his final season of eligibility with the Syracuse Orange this upcoming year. While that's exciting and fills an immediate need for guard depth and leadership for the Orange, it also leaves many of us wondering just who Gillon is and what he's like as a player.

It just so happens that one of my fellow editors over at The Comeback, Matt Clapp, is a CSU fan and follows the basketball team closely. He was kind enough to share some thoughts on Gillon and what we can expect out of him in his one and only season with the Orange.

Last week, I got an alert on my phone that point guard John Gillon was transferring from Colorado State. Being a former Colorado State student and as big of a Rams fan as you guys are Syracuse fans, this was really upsetting news to hear, and unfortunately a bit of a theme regarding the state of the CSU basketball program over the last couple of years. But I certainly can't blame him for wanting to play at a far bigger program with a far brighter upcoming season, because...

John Gillon is a very, very good college basketball player, and was probably going to be the best -- or at least the most reliable -- player on CSU next season. Without looking at the rest of the current Mountain West rosters (I don't want to bore myself), I'd think Gillon would've been a potential All-MW guy. I mean, he was the MW's Sixth Man of the Year in 2014-2015 (his first year in the conference), and then went on to average 13.2 points and 3.8 assists per game as a junior. So, you'd think he'd continue to progress as a senior.

9ad7f97c631c01edca63e779c618ce81.jpg

UConn-Syracuse Basketball: Jim Brown's Role, More to Know About This Legendary Rivalry (courant.com; Staff)

Editor's Note: love the 'disagreement between Guley and Brown over playing time led to Brown quitting the team after the 1955-56 season' these hacks refer to. The problem was Guley wouldn't start 3 African Americans.

UConn and Syracuse are getting back together for a game on Dec. 5 at Madison Square Garden in the hopes of rekindling the one-time Big East rivalry with regular games. The teams first met more than 60 years ago and the matchup has produced its share of memorable moments. Here are five things to know about Syracuse vs. UConn basketball history:

Great Garden Performances: UConn and Syracuse have met 13 times in Big East tournament games at MSG with the Orange holding a 7-6 edge. The matchup produced two of the greatest games in the history of the Husky program.

March 11, 1990, UConn 78, Syracuse 75: It was The Dream Season, and this was UConn's dream come true. No longer an also-ran in the Big East Tournament, the Huskies won it for the first time and went on to the Elite Eight.

Jim Calhoun said about the game, "but I wasn't using the word 'wonderful' an hour after that game." It is the most points ever scored against UConn.

Donyell Marshall (30 on Feb. 1, 1994). Ray Allen (31 on Jan. 23, 1995), A.J. Price (33 on March 12, 2009) and Kemba Walker (33 on March 11, 2011).

Did You Know? The first meeting between the schools came on Jan. 27, 1956 in Syracuse, a game won by the Orange, 102-82. Syracuse star and leading scorer Vinnie Cohen led his team with 25 points. That Huskies were led by Art Quimby, who averaged 23.2 points that season. Also on the Syracuse roster was the man regarded by many as the best college athlete of all-time as well as the greatest pro football player ever: Hall of Famer Jim Brown. He played in all 22 games that season — starting 19 — and averaged 11.3 points.

GettyImages-479762811.0.jpg

The Top 10 Syracuse Dunks of the 21st Century (TNIAAM; Szuba)

As promised, here at the top ten dunks of the 21st century.

Okay, so I might have missed on the Hakim Warrick flat-footed dunk yesterday. That one could have probably moved up the list a bit, but at least I can admit when I'm wrong, right? Nonetheless, here are the top 10 Syracuse dunks since 2000.

10: CJ Fair - St. John's
This one was waved off, but my goodness, CJ. This was so good it had to be on the list.

9: Jerami Grant - Western Michigan
Why Jump Wednesday. No really, why did you even jump? Just get out of the way.

8: CJ Fair - Minnesota
CJ again? Yep. and he's not done yet. No blood, no foul. Wait...

Other

15+ Places Where You Can Celebrate Cinco de Mayo in CNY (PS; Tulloch)

Happy Cinco De Mayo, Central New York. We may be a 43-hour drive from Salt City to the Mexican city of Puebla, but we still have plenty of ways to celebrate here at home.

Cinco de Mayo is a holiday commemorating Mexico's unlikely victory over French occupational forces in the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. It's a day of celebration in Puebla, Mexico and the festivities have spread to the United States.

Here's where to celebrate with Mexican cuisine, drinks and music:

1. Alto Cinco
Alto Cinco will host an all-day fiesta with a happy hour and dinner specials. Their menu includes jerk chicken, shrimp, catfish and vegetarian options.
Where: 526 Westcott St., Syracuse.

2. Azteca Mexican Grill
For Cinco de Mayo, the Camillus Mexican joint will offer discounted margaritas for $3.50 and buckets of four beers (any kind) for $12. Azteca Mexican Grill is known for their authentic enchiladas, tamales and sizzling fajita plates. Anyone who comes in wearing a sombrero gets a free dessert.
Where: 3783 Milton Ave, Camillus.

I remember a Tony Bruin baseline dunk against Grown, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

To be fair, Hakim could be all 10 dunks for the 21st Century, but we have to spread the love.
Everyone would loves the Texas Tea-Bag, but that ND one from the block is un-paralleled.
And there's one where he soared over one of those three-named guys (Carney) from Memphis in the Garden that is a work of art.