Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
GreetingCards_650x425.jpg

Welcome to Electronic Greeting Card Day!

Today is national send an electronic greeting card day, so to celebrate this geeky fabulous day, I urge all of you to send a snazzy ecard to your friends, family members, lovers, or co-workers! For traditional, artsy cards that you can personalize with your own message, iCards has a sweet selection. And for something a bit more edgier, there's Wrong Cards and someecards, which are too funny not to send!

SU News

Screen_Shot_2015_11_30_at_11.41.54_AM_zzbe0qyn.jpg

The Top 6 Unsigned Basketball Recruits for 2016 (freep.com; Jordan)

Wednesday marks the final day of the NCAA’s spring signing period for basketball and various other sports. USA TODAY Sports takes a look at the six players in the ESPN 100 who presumably still are mulling their options.

Jarrett Allen, Austin (Texas) Saint Stephen’s Episcopal, C
Marques Bolden, DeSoto, Texas, C
Charlie Moore, Chicago Morgan Park, PG

Taurean Thompson, Wolfeboro (N.H.) Brewster Academy, F

ESPN 100 Overall Ranking: No. 75

CONSIDERING: Syracuse, Seton Hall, Michigan State.

THE 411: The consensus is that Syracuse has the edge here, but Michigan State is making a strong push for Thompson. Tom Izzo watched him post 27 points, 13 rebounds, three assists and two blocks en route to claiming MVP of the Jordan Brand Classic regional game last month. Thompson’s camp has expressed interest in setting up a visit to East Lansing. Obviously, that would have to happen soon.

Romello White, Marietta (Ga.) Wheeler, F

ESPN 100 Overall Ranking: No. 77

CONSIDERING: VCU, Auburn, Georgia, Iowa State.

THE 411: White recently got a release from his national letter of intent to Georgia Tech. Last year, he decommitted from Tennessee after Vols coach Donnie Tyndall got fired. As for his next landing spot, White and Co. have kept things under wraps, but most believe that Georgia and Iowa State will be strong in this one.

DeShawn Corprew, Winston Salem (N.C.) Quality Education Academy, F

36517057001_4898416238001_4898201840001-vs.jpg

SU Sports Machine Can Never Rest (D&C; Roth)

Syracuse University bills itself as “New York’s College Team.’’

And while that might cause a slow burn in the athletic halls of other Division I programs from Buffalo to the Bronx, nobody’s arguing.

That’s because nobody else is putting its men’s (and women’s) basketball teams into Final Fours. Nobody else is sending its football players out to mix it up with the big boys in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

That doesn’t mean the Orange can rest on reputation, not with a near $70 million athletic budget to feed and a small central New York corporate base.

That’s why a motor home bearing giant shrink-wrap images of Hall of Fame men’s basketball coach Jim Boeheim and new football coach Dino Babers rolled into Rochester late Tuesday afternoon as part of SU’s “No Huddle Tour.’’

Its mission was as clear as the blue sky above Monroe Golf Club: Press the flesh of well-heeled Orange fans, alumni and the all-encompassing group simply known as “friends of the University.’’

Nurturing these kinds of individual relationships out of season is what makes things click during the season for SU’s 18 sports teams.

06763bec-6e8a-4a63-b41c-a769c5f378bd-large16x9_BOEHEIMMONROE.jpg

Boeheim and Babers Talk SU Athletics (13wham.com)

Syracuse basketball Coach, Jim Boeheim and new football Coach, Dino Babers were in Rochester on Tuesday. Both Coaches were at the Monroe Golf Club as apart of the annual 'No Huddle Tour'. Boeheim and Babers spoke to alumni about the newest Carrier Dome renovations, the departure of former Athletic Director, Mark Coyle and the state of SU football.

Jenna Cottrell has a recap of Tuesday's event.

Other

sports.jpg

Throwback Wednesday: Joel Mareiniss Goes Up the Invisible Ladder (syracusenewtimes.com; Staff)

The March 5 passing of Syracuse sportscaster supreme Joel Mareiniss at age 87 resulted in an avalanche of public tributes (Dave Cohen and Bob Costas, among them) and a tsunami of nostalgia for baby boomers who fondly recall the sports anchor’s long stints on then-WSYR-TV and radio, where he handled play-by-play duties for Syracuse University’s football and basketball contests, as well as hosting the Sunday-morning Syracuse Bowls TV show during the 1960s and 1970s. Mareiniss also served as a favorite announcer with the Syracuse Chiefs ball club

For this tribute down Mareiniss memory lane, here are excerpts from writer Steve Forrest’s question-answer session, distinctively headlined “An Interview with Joel Mareiniss,” in the Feb. 10, 1972, issue of the Syracuse New Times.

Are you a Syracuse native?

No, I was born in Newark, N.J. I first visited Syracuse on a typical snowy day when I came for my college interview in 1946. I am a graduate of Syracuse University’s School of Journalism and had worked on The Daily Orange when it was in the old Orange Publishing Building across from Archbold Stadium.

What made you interested in broadcasting?

At age 13 I was listening to a bowl game on New Year’s Day and I was so impressed with what I was hearing that the germ was born and my career was decided. Many others come into the same profession by accident, but this is what I always wanted, and I aimed for it, and now I am doing it.

The first time I sat down in front of a microphone was to do the first radio newscast to be transmitted by a college radio station, at Syracuse University in the fall of 1947. Then after the Korean War when I came out of the Army in 1953, I enrolled at SU to get my masters and I became a summertime replacement announcer at WSYR. It was supposed to be a temporary job but has become an 18-year job.

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria
Jim Boeheim reiterates on the 4 Quarters Podcast that 'Nobody knows right now where anybody's going in the draft.'

Boeheim reiterates that 13 may be unrealistic for Malachi Richardson, but says Malachi had a great year and he wishes him well.

'We think Tyus can come in and have a huge year for us' Jim #Boeheim on Battle

'I don't think anybody's ever won with the triangle except Phil Jackson and I don't think he's coaching, is he?' Jim Boeheim on the Knicks

Boeheim adds the Knicks need help in the backcourt. Says it's obvious that Melo needs help.

Last edited: