Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant

Welcome to I Love My Dentist Day!

June 2 is “I Love My Dentist” Day in the U.S. You’re probably wondering why dentists have their own special day. Wehhhhhllll…when people don’t take good care of their teeth, the things dentists have to do to fix those teeth don’t feel so good, like drilling a cavity or pulling out a bad tooth. But hey, what’s it like for the dentist? Here the dentist is sticking his or her hands into your slimy mouth just to help you out – the least we can all do is say thank you with a special holiday. And if you take really good care of your teeth, your dentist won’t have to do much at your check-ups anyway. The real question is, how many teeth do you even have handy for the dentist to check up on? If you’ve been losing your baby teeth, the answer might change every time you go.

Wee ones: If you lost 3 teeth last month and 2 teeth this month, how many teeth have you lost?

Little kids: If you have 10 teeth on the bottom row and 10 teeth on top, how many teeth do you have? Bonus: If you lose your first 3 teeth and only 2 grown-up teeth have grown in to replace them, how many teeth are in your mouth?

SU News

Syracuse Basketball's Gonna Need Transfers...Or A LOT of freshmen (TNIAAM; Ross)

Yesterday, Mike McAllister of At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. posted a column where he discussed how the Syracuse Orange basketball program could be in the hunt for a number of transfer prospects for 2017-2018. That season, for those who need clarity, is the season after next and supposedly Jim Boeheim's last.

It's a scary thought considering how scarce Syracuse transfer players have come in recent years. Looking back, the only two that have really come in and been significant wereWesley Johnson, who eventually played his way into being a lottery pick, and Michael Gbinije, who had a very successful career for the Orange. Other than those two, the recently minted grad transfer John Gillon, and now-eligible Providence transfer Paschal Chukwu, Boeheim has been hesitant to take transfer players during his long coaching career. But like McAllister said in his piece, they may very well have to rely on transfers for the 2017-2018 campaign. The only other option lies in an absolutely massive, Duke/Kentucky-esque 2017 recruiting class.

As McAllister points out, there will only be five scholarship players going into that season. If Tyler Lydon or Tyus Battle were to declare for the draft following 2016-2017, that number could drop to three, leaving forward Matthew Moyer, center Paschal Chukwu and point guard Frank Howard as the only players on scholarship. This could change, however, if 2016 power forward Taurean Thompson ends up at Syracuse at the end of his very long and drawn out recruiting process. Even if they land Thompson, the scenario in which Lydon and Battle declare leaves Frank Howard as the only scholarship guard on the roster.

michael-gbinije-6jpg-f78d0c3adadec1c9.jpg

NBA draft prospect profile: Syracuse SG Michael Gbinije (weei.com; Frazier)

MICHAEL GBINIJE

Position: Shooting guard
School: Syracuse
Height: 6-foot-7
Weight: 205 pounds
Wingspan: 6-foot-8
Key 2015-16 stats: 17.5 points, 4.1 rebounds, 4.3 assists, 1.9 steals

Scouting report: Gbinije is a fundamentally sound player who excels at passing and handling the ball. He often played point guard at Syracuse, but with his height and wingspan he’ll likely have to convert to an off-the-ball perimeter player in the NBA. Fortunately for him, Gbinije is a respectable shooter both off the catch and off the dribble, and he can finish at the rim with ease at times. He has a solid basketball IQ and anticipates passes on the defensive end. Most importantly, his play at the NBA draft combine garnered some attention.

“I’m very happy with the way things went this past week,” Gbinije told Syracuse.com after the May combine. “I played with and against some of the guys I knew before going to college and it was just a good experience overall.”

Besides his passing, there isn’t really a part of Gbinije’s game that he truly excels at. His ball handling could be more consistent, and his free throw percentage (66.3) is uncharacteristic of a guard. His age also is a factor, as he is one of the oldest players in this year’s draft. He may be close to his potential, something that will drive away NBA teams.

Notes: Gbinije made both the All-ACC second team and the All-ACC defensive team. He also helped carry Syracuse to an improbable Final Four berth.

Michigan State guard Forbes impresses in latest Utah Jazz player workout (deseretnews.com; Sorensen)

Of the six players who were on hand at Zion’s Bank Basketball Center Wednesday, Long seems the most ready to play in the NBA. But he may have a ways to go, according to Perrin.

“We’ll have to wait and see if he’s an NBA big man," he said. "Some guys come in and play right away and other guys it’s going to take a couple of years.”

Other players who worked out Wednesday were New Mexico State forward Pascal Siakam, IPFW guard Max Landis, Syracuse guard Trevor Cooney and Georgia guard Kenny Gaines.

The Jazz will have several more workouts this month before the draft, but none on Thursday.

usa-today-9307813.0.jpg

Former Syracuse Star Dion Waiters 'Looking Forward to Coming Back' to Oklahoma City (TNIAAM; Szuba)

The close of the Oklahoma City Thunder's season two nights ago could mark the end of an era. The Thunder could lose its best player as Kevin Durant can become an unrestricted free agent Dion Waiters if now officially a restricted free agent, meaning the Thunder hold the right to match any offer he receives. The erstwhile Orange man is likely going to get paid this off season, but the question of where he'll end up lingers like a rotten fart.

That is, before The Oklahoman cleared the air (pun intended).

"Why not?" Waiters said about returning to Oklahoma City. "Since I got here I feel as though they have helped me become a better person off the court. It's not even about basketball. I've never been connected with a group of guys like this that I'm actually close to. Why not? The best fans in the world. I'm definitely looking forward to coming back."

While Waiters is completely exaggerating about the best fans in the world existing in Oklahoma City and not Syracuse, it sounds like Waiters has relished his time in Oklahoma.

At only 24 years of age, Waiters proved he belonged on the floor playing (mostly) well on the offensive and defensive end in his first go-around in the playoffs. He's likely to garner some interest from other teams in free agency but sounds content to return to Oklahoma City. In the interim, he's likely to spend the summer months on Waiters Island to reflect on whatever the heck people called him in his Syracuse days.

Other

city-center-2d6c0f2ab3146e6e.jpg

Developers of City Center Project in Syracuse Ask for Tax Breaks (PS; Moriarty)

The developers of the proposed City Center project in downtown Syracuse are seeking tax breaks for the $32.5 million project.

Developers Robert Doucette and Richard deVito, partners in 400 S. Salina Street LLC, have applied to the Syracuse Industrial Development Agency for 14 years of property tax discounts, plus exemptions from sales taxes on construction materials and from the state mortgage recording tax.

Doucette and deVito are partnering with the Redhouse Arts Center to turn the former Sibley's Department Store at the southwest corner of South Salina and West Jefferson streets into office and retail space and the arts center's new home.

Aspen Dental Management Inc., which provides business support services to more than 500 dental practices throughout the country, will be the project's anchor tenant.

The value of the sales tax exemption is estimated at $1.13 million and the value of the mortgage recording tax exemption is estimated at $246,400, according to the agency.

The city development agency has not yet estimated the value of the property tax exemptions being sought by the developers. They have applied for a payment-in-lieu-of-tax agreement under which the project would receive a full exemption from property taxes for 10 years, followed by four years of decreasing partial exemptions.

City Center would pay full taxes after 15 years.

animated_tooth_being_brushed.gif
Don't forget dealing with the ever~popular tooth fairy

Funny_Fairy_Blank_lg.gif