Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Different%20Colored%20Eyes%20Day.jpeg

Welcome to Different Colored Eyes Day!

Different Colored Eyes Day has two reasons to celebrate. First of all, it celebrates diversity of eye color. Wouldn't the world be boring, if everyone had the same color of eyes?

Secondly, it recognizes an eye condition called Heterochromia. People who have this trait, have two different colors of eyes. One eye may be brown, while the other is blue. Famous people who have Heterochromia include David Bowie, Jane Seymour, and Christopher Walken.

Your eyes are an important part of your appearance. They are also important in communications. When you look into your lover's eyes, you need to like what you see. Making "eye contact" just wouldn't be the same without different colored eye. Isn't it great that we have a variety of eye colors to set us apart from one another?

SU News

Syracuse basketball recruiting: Orange offers 3-star Class of 2017 PF Oshae Brissett (DO; Libonati)

Syracuse has offered Class of 2017 three-star power forward Oshae Brissett, he announced via Twitter on Monday.

Syracuse offered #CuseNation
1f34a.png
pic.twitter.com/RXEiopP4Wq

— Oshae Brissett (@O11_TTRE) July 11, 2016

At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. lists the Findlay (Nevada) Prep player at 6 feet 7 inches tall and 190 pounds. Currently, Brissett is ranked No. 23 among Class of 2017 power forwards and holds offers from Oregon, Oklahoma, Maryland, California, University of California Los Angles and University of Nevada Las Vegas among others.

Findlay has a history with Canadian players — Brissett hails from Mississauga, Ontario — including Cory Joseph, Tristan Thompson and Anthony Bennett. Brissett plays with Canada Elite’s AAU squad.

Syracuse will have four front-court players on its roster this season that could still be with the team in 2017: Paschal Chukwu, Tyler Lydon (who some,including head coach Jim Boeheim, speculate will jump to the NBA) and freshmen Matthew Moyer and Taurean Thompson.

Syracuse basketball recruiting: Target Quade Green earning more attention despite Peach Jam loss (DO; Fortier)

Despite a blowout loss in the Peach Jam championship on Sunday afternoon, Syracuse target Quade Green used the tournament Nike Elite Youth Basketball League season to showcase why he’s had college basketball analysts reshuffling their rankings for the spring and summer.

The 6-foot-1, 170-pound guard’s performance earned him recent offers from Duke, Kentucky and Michigan State. SU offered him last summer.

The PSA Cardinals (New York) point guard ran an offense that also featured two fellow Orange targets, forward Mohamed Bamba and wing Brandon Randolph. Green had 40 more assists in total league play than the second-highest player. His 21 points and six assists helped the Cardinals overcome an 18-point second-half deficit in the tournament’s semifinal on Saturday night.

“He’s tough. Really, really tough,” Carl Arrigale, his coach at Neumann-Goretti (Pennsylvania) High School, said. “To be that size and survive, you have to shoot. And he can. He’s not afraid of anything.”

Other

Hey, hey! Syracuse Chiefs Wall of Famer Jimmy Durkin has a little more to say (PS; Kramer)

Even as he rolls into the ninth decade of his life, Jimmy Durkin's throat has yet to betray him.

While other body parts need a little patching here and there — Durkin had open-heart surgery last winter — Durkin still has the pipes to rip out the same "Hey, hey'' that's sounded a bullhorn of excitement for Syracuse sports fans the last five decades.

"I've been really blessed with the voice not quitting on me,'' Durkin said Monday. "It's still strong.''

Durkin doesn't get a chance to put it to its former use anymore. He handed out programs at a Chiefs game about a month ago and said he got too tired. Durkin has retired from his job as a vendor several times, but this time he says he's done for good.

"I thought about going back,'' Durkin said. "But the steps are terribly hard for me. I think after this award, I'll be better off if I completely retire. I'm not going to retire any more. I am retired.''

Still, he has to say thanks to the fans. And, maybe, just bark out another sales pitch or two for what will likely be the final time at NBT Bank Stadium.

Durkin will get the microphone Sunday for his induction into the Syracuse Chiefs' Wall of Fame in a pregame ceremony before a contest against Durham. Durkin, 80, is part of a 2016 class that includes Chad Mottola, Anton "Tony" Kreuzer, and Joel Mareiniss.

IMG_4030.jpg

Gallery: See the weekly progress of summer construction on the Syracuse University campus (DO Gilbert)

The Syracuse University campus is currently undergoing construction and renovation for the summer. Construction for the University Place promenade began on May 31. Here are photos that show the weekly progress of the university's construction or renovation projects, including the building of the University Place promenade.