Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
IAD-Logo-Invite.gif

Welcome to International Artist Day!

For over a decade International Artist Day has honored the contribution artists have and are making to society.
On IAD, October 25, take an artist to lunch, or buy that painting that's been haunting you for the last month.
Visit a gallery, or go to the symphony. Participate in something creative outside your daily routine. Live Life!

SU News

Reading High senior still undecided on basketball choice | Reading Eagle - SPORTS (readingeagles.com; Drago)

According to the crystal ball used by some basketball recruiting websites, Lonnie Walker IV will play at the University of Arizona next season.

One Wildcats recruiting website has the Reading High star committing to coach Sean Miller's club within the next few weeks.

"One (website) called me and said I was going to Miami," he said Monday evening after completing an intense workout with the Red Knights at the Geigle.

Walker is amused by the talk but admits he's far from making a decision about his basketball future. He said there are no early clubhouse leaders among his final five of Arizona, Kentucky, Miami, Syracuse and Villanova.

"Oh no, all five are still even," Walker insisted.

Some experts crossed Kentucky off the list when Walker abruptly canceled an official visit scheduled for last weekend.

Walker said he plans to reschedule for November; a family situation caused him to scratch last week's trip.

Walker has taken two of his allotted five official visits, to Miami, in late September, and to Arizona, Oct. 7-9.

He heads to Villanova this weekend and has a visit scheduled to Syracuse Nov. 4-6.

"I'm just taking all my officials, then me and my dad and mom are going to sit down and talk about what type of experience I had (at each)," he said.

The NCAA has an early signing period, from Nov. 9-16, but it's unlikely Walker will wrap up his decision in time for that.

smb-101129-ll-villanovacrowdjpg-d70ba9184b2ce00b.jpg

Syracuse basketball eager to see what unfolds (AP; Kekis)

Last year ended on a happy note for Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim — a trip to the Final Four for the fifth time in his Hall of Fame career. This season? An encore performance is on the mind.

"I'm looking forward to winning a lot," senior forward Tyler Roberson said. "We want to get back to the tournament and win the national championship. That's the main goal. I know we can't ask for much more (than making the Final Four), but we went really far and we are bringing that energy into this season."

Until Syracuse was selected to play in the NCAA Tournament in the spring, the 2015-16 season was forgettable. Boeheim served a nine-game suspension as part of sanctions handed down by the NCAA after a multiyear investigation of the school's athletic department, and the Orange were a longshot to make the field after going 19-14 in the regular season and a pedestrian 9-9 in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Four wins in the big dance turned the season into a rousing success, and the sky seems to be the limit this year despite the departure of the top three scorers — guards Michael Gbinije, Trevor Cooney, and Malachi Richardson, who left for the NBA after a stellar freshman season.

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim has a sudden wealth of depth (nbcsports; AP)

Last season, the Syracuse Orange had to sweat out Selection Sunday, then shocked the college basketball world by advancing to the Final Four.

This season, despite Hall of Fame coach Jim Boeheim’s attempt to tamp down expectations at his team’s media day Friday, going that far in the NCAA Tournament wouldn’t be that big of a shock.

“I think it’s very hard, when you’re talking Final Four, you look at the last four years, the two best teams, the two best records in the country were Arizona and Virginia. They’ve won the most games and the most (conference) championships of any teams in the country, and they did not get to the Final Four,” said Boeheim, entering his 41st season leading his alma mater. “So when you start talking `You’ve got to get to the Final Four,’ you’re really foolish.

“You need to get into the tournament, that’s what you need to worry about,” he said.

Boeheim over the summer was effusive in praise of his 2016-17 squad, which features what appears to be a solid mix of talented returnees that includes: projected first-round NBA pick Tyler Lydon; a highly ranked, three-member recruiting class; two fifth-year transfers, guard John Gillon and sharpshooter Andrew White, who are eligible to play immediately; and a traditional transfer, 7-foot-2 center Paschal Chukwu, who promises to be a menacing force in Boeheim’s 2-3 zone defense.

For much of the 2015-16 season, Syracuse was only six players deep. Boeheim said he would be comfortable playing nine or 10 players this season.

“I said this summer we have more depth, which is true, and we have a couple of guys at each position, which we haven’t had in a long time,” Boeheim said. “Now, whether that equates into a better team is something completely different from what I was talking about this summer. Maybe I wasn’t clear in what I was saying. I said, `Could be. Could be.’ I always say that. I said that one year and we won about 18 games.”

Syracuse Preview Capsule (Oct 24, 2016) (foxsports.com; AP)

Syracuse

Last season: 23-14, lost in the NCAA Tournament semifinals to North Carolina.
Nickname: Orange.
Coach: Jim Boeheim.
Conference: Atlantic Coast.
Who's gone: G Michael Gbinije, G Malachi Richardson, G Trevor Cooney.
Who's back: C Dajuan Coleman. Returned last season after missing the better part of two years with knee problems and played in every game, becoming a steady cog in the middle (4.9 points, 4.7 rebounds, 17.5 minutes); F Tyler Roberson. Team's most accomplished rebounder (8.5), the senior will be looking to boost his scoring (8.8) and put an exclamation mark on a solid career; F Tyler Lydon. Became a real problem for opposing teams as a freshman with his shooting ability from beyond the arc (49 makes and 40.5 percent) and shot-blocking ability inside (team-best 67); G Frank Howard. Failed to start any games as a freshman and averaged 1.8 assists and 1.6 points off the bench.
Who's new: F Matthew Moyer. The 6-foot-8, 220-pound freshman is a perfect fit for the Orange's trademark 2-3 zone; G Andrew White III. The 6-7 Nebraska transfer by way of Kansas ranked second in scoring (16.6) and first in rebounding (5.9) as a senior for the Cornhuskers; G John Gillon. Transfer from Colorado State ranked third on the team in scoring (13.2) and tops in assists (3.8). F Taurean Thompson. Another long wingspan in the Orange defensive arsenal who at 6-10 could get time as a backup at center; G Tyus Battle. At 6-5 he's a perfect fit for the top of the zone.

The Skinny: Last season, the Orange pulled off a shocking Final Four run, the second in four years, after a subpar regular season that included a nine-game suspension for Boeheim as part of sanctions levied by the NCAA. This team looks much stronger on paper. If Lydon progresses as expected, Roberson becomes more of a scoring force inside, and the newcomers can replace the shooting lost by the departures of Gbinije, Cooney and Richardson, Syracuse will be a force to be reckoned with again.

http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...xperts-real-chance-u-l-losing-title/92679122/ (courier-journal.com; Wolfson)

If the University of Louisville men's basketball team used players who were ineligible during the 2012-13 season because they received improper benefits in the form of sex or strippers, the school’s national championship and other victories almost certainly will be vacated, NCAA enforcement experts say.

Two former members of the NCAA's Committee on Infractions say it is almost automatic for the panel to vacate victories from teams that used players later determined to be ineligible.

One of them, Rodney Uphoff, a University of Missouri law professor who served on the committee from 2008-14, said the only defense would be if the player or players mostly rode the bench and did not make a big contribution to the wins.

Jerry Parkinson, a former law school dean at the University of Wyoming who was on the committee from 2000-10, said it became increasingly automatic during his tenure to vacate wins earned with ineligible players. he cited Memphis, whose 38-victory season – including its run to the championship game – was vacated when the NCAA found freshman Derrick Rose's SAT score was fraudulent because somebody took the test for him.

Former NCAA enforcement director Chuck Smrt, who was hired by U of L to conduct its internal investigation, said at a news conference last week that vacating victories and the national championship are among the possible penalties for the university but he said he didn’t think they would be “appropriate.”

Other

21379585-mmmain.jpg

Which 3 Finger Lakes went up the most as a result of the weekend's rain? (PS; Figura)

This past weekend's record rainfall was eye-opening. The overall impact on the Finger Lakes, many which have been suffering drought-like conditions, was overdue.

The three lakes that reflected the greatest water level increases were the eastern-most lakes – Otisco, Skaneateles and Owasco Lakes. They all went up nearly a foot or more. The smallest rise in water level was on Cayuga Lake, which went up .33 feet.

The following is a gut check on the lakes as of this afternoon compared to last Thursday's levels.

*Otisco Lake: The lake's water level, which is monitored by the Onondaga County Water Authority, is determined by the water's proximity to the crest of the dam at the lake's northern end. On Thursday, the reading was 42 inches below the crest. Today, the reading was 31 inches.

The water level of the remaining 10 Finger Lakes is determined by their elevation above sea level.

*Skaneateles Lake : Thursday, the reading was 859.58 feet. Today, it was 860.57, according to a worker at the City of Syracuse water treatment plant in Skaneateles.

It means the NCAA thinks UNC is blowing smoke that isn't hiding a damn thing.