Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Holy-Innocents-Day-December-28-1024x512.jpg

Welcome to Holy Innocents Day!

Holy Innocents Day is observed annually on December 28th.

Holy Innocents Day (also referred to as Childermas) commemorates the massacre of male children at Bethlehem by King Herod’s order (Matthew 2:16). Also known as the Feast of the Holy Innocents, this day is observed in the Western churches on December 28 and Eastern churches on December 29. These children are considered martyrs, Saints of God, by the Church.

HOW TO OBSERVE

On this day it is custom to give the youngest child in the household the power to rule the day. From what to eat, where to go and what to do, the youngest is in charge. In Mexico, it is a day for children to play practical jokes and pranks on their elders. Use #HolyInnocentsDay to post on social media.

SU News

usa_today_9764189.0.jpeg

Syracuse’s Tyler Lydon has found his groove (TNIAAM; Sigel)

The Syracuse Orange’s best player is heating up at the perfect time.

Earlier in the season — when the Orange were struggling mightily — Tyler Lydon couldn’t do anything right. In SU’s first eight games, Lydon found double-digits just three times.

Since then, he’s had five straight games in double-figures.

Looking back to the Georgetown game, a 78-71 loss on Pearl Washington Day, the sophomore forward had his best game at Syracuse. He went for a career-high 29 points on 12-of-13 shooting, and a perfect 3-for-3 from deep. He did miss three free throws, but let’s not get greedy.

Despite the loss, we all thought the same thing. “He’s back.”

cornelljpg-c93484eef2d2a505.jpg

Syracuse basketball beats Cornell 80-56 (Brent Axe recap) (PS; Axe; photo gallery)

Ready or not, ACC play is here for Syracuse. The Orange finished 85 in nonconference play following a 8056 win over Cornell on Tuesday night at the Carrier Dome. It was a good response following a 33point drubbing at the hands of St.John's prior to the Christmas break, but didn't really do much to ease the concerns the Orange have heading for conference play starting on New Year's Day against Boston College.

Other

21771928-mmmain.jpg

One of the advantages of living in Central New York is the natural beauty, like this sunset scene on the shore of Oneida Lake. (Stan Linhorst)

Leadership: Entrepreneurs find CNY a good place to take risks (PS; Linhorst)

When I interview business leaders for my CNY Conversations on leadership, I usually ask: Why do you stay in Central New York? What do you see as CNY's strengths? What would you tell naysayers who complain about the region?

On Tuesday, we ran excerpts from 2016 CNY Conversations with manufacturing executives. Today, we have condensed and edited excerpts from some of the entrepreneurs who were featured this year:

Wills Mahoney, business founder, including digital startup Plowz & Mowz, can't stand negativity:
Well, it's hard to run a business, period. It doesn't matter where you are.

I can't stand negativity. I read the projects on Syracuse.com and the comments drive me nuts. A story says someone is investing millions of dollars in a rundown building, they're taking a risk and they're getting some tax help. Read the comments and they're negative: It's never going to work. It's a total failure.

The person who writes that is not an entrepreneur, probably not a business owner, and they're not going to be a millionaire. Risk takers should be applauded.

Overall, there's a ton of great people here. It's probably the one percent who are the naysayers.

Kate Brodock, digital entrepreneur, takes her networks with her:
I would say to naysayers: Find a way to broaden your network. My network has come in hugely for my happiness being here, for happiness with my career, for the opportunities that I have. I was able to bring that network to Central New York (from Boston).

So to the naysayers: A network can be virtual. Create a network that can stay with you. That network is not going to go away, provided you nurture that network and use it properly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom