Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
DJ.png

Welcome to National Celiac Awareness Day!

September 13 has been dubbed “National Celiac Disease Awareness Day” in honor of the doctor who identified a link between celiac disease and diet. Dr. Samuel Gee, a leader in celiac disease research, was born on Sept. 13, 1839.

A Senate resolution calling for the commemoration gained unanimous approval on Aug. 3, 2010. In marking the awareness day, the Senate "recognizes that all people of the United States should become more informed and aware of celiac disease," the resolution stated.

In an email to fellow celiac disease advocates, Ask the Dietitian’s Melinda Dennis, MS, RD, LDN, nutrition coordinator for the Celiac Center at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, noted the accomplishment and urged friends to celebrate. “My plan is to have a gluten-free dinner party,” she said.

SU News

2017-12-05-dn-subasket21jpg-9b5e6911223b2c39.jpg

Could Syracuse basketball be part of MSG event with ex-Big East teams? (Mike's Mailbox) (PS; Waters)

It's easy to tell when the start of the college basketball season is approaching.

For me, it's the ever-growing number of emails from Syracuse basketball fans.

Even if the temperatures are still nice and there's daylight past 6 p.m., I know that hoops season is right around the corner when the number of emails seems to increase daily.

The Syracuse University men's basketball team will open the 2018-19 season on Tuesday, Nov. 6, at home against Eastern Washington.

That's less than two months from now. And my inbox is full of questions. So let's get to them.

(Note: If you have a question for Syracuse beat writer Mike Waters, email him at mwaters@syracuse.com.)

Is there any traction for an old-school Big East tournament in honor of Dave Gavitt with Syracuse, Georgetown, Villanova and UConn at Madison Square Garden in the future? They could set up the games in advance so teams from same conferences don't play each other.

-- DrDopek on Twitter

Mike: Man, I'd love to see a double-header at the Garden featuring Syracuse vs. Georgetown and Villanova vs. UConn. Throw in St. John's as a potential partner. Seton Hall and Providence, too.

However, the logistics could make it difficult to pull off such an event.

I talked to a representative from one of the major conferences that would be involved (ACC, Big East or American) and there are issues that would have to be resolved.

usa_today_10729809.0.jpg

An Interesting Syracuse/Frank Howard Read (dukebasketballreport.com; King)

It’s still a bit weird to think of Syracuse as an ACC team. Their Big East identity was so strong that it’s endured even several years after the Orange entered the ACC.

However they are an ACC team now and we have grown to appreciate that they are sort of a Big Four team in many ways, just located in Lower Canadaupstate New York.

We really appreciate the area’s passion for basketball. You can hit Syracuse.com almost any day and find something of interest to ACC fans. Take today for instance and this interesting story about guard Frank Howard.

We all tend to focus on competition which tends spin into tribalism and thus dehumanizes the opponent. They’re all people too though and everyone has interesting stories. Howard certainly does. He sounds like a real asset for Syracuse.

We’ve said this before and while we can’t imagine any circumstance currently that would allow this to happen but the natural team to invite if the ACC went to 16 teams would be The SEC’s Kentucky.

Not only would Kentucky and Louisville have a conference rivalry to rival Duke-UNC, but the battles with Tobacco Road and the intensity that would build between the basketball capitals of Lexington and Syracuse would be amazing.

Looking at Syracuse recruit Joe Girard and seeing Greg Paulus - The Juice Online (the juice; Dagostino)

“What did he end up with?”

That is what Christian Brothers Academy head basketball coach Buddy Wleklinski asked me after a varsity basketball against Corcoran in the 2004-05 season.

“43 (points), 11 (rebounds), nine (assists) and nine (steals),” I responded.

The “he” was Greg Paulus, who orchestrated the best athletic performance I have witnessed in person, even to this day. As a student at Syracuse University, I minored in coaching, which led me to CBA. The final class of our minor was an internship of sorts, where we got to pick a school and sport where we wanted to be a volunteer coach. And, well…who wouldn’t want to coach a two-sport high school All-American?

During games, I kept stats for CBA. Paulus, a five-year varsity basketball player, had maybe turned in the best individual game of his career (a career where he averaged 23.5 points, six rebounds and eight assists per game).

Coach Wleklinski told me at practice the next day, “I looked over the game tape twice last night trying to find and extra assist and steal.” The quadruple-double would have been a rare feat, indeed.

ACC One and Dones By The Numbers (dukebasketballreport.com; King)

The wave of one-and-done players may be cresting. A general understanding among the NCAA, NBA and the National Basketball Players Association allegedly will soon end the hopscotch single-season pause in college between high school and the pros.

Whether that happens sooner or later, the maneuver has most assuredly become more commonplace, especially at Duke, over the past few years.

Just since 2017 the ACC has seen 10 players selected after playing a single collegiate season, with eight taken in the first round of the NBA draft. Four of those first-rounders came through Duke. Two other Blue Devils, Gary Trent Jr. and Frank Jackson, went in the second round.

Eleven Devils were first-rounders as one-season collegians since Kylie Irving in 2011, with two more going in the second round.

One of the best to go early departed in 1975, the first season freshmen were eligible for varsity competition. Clemson’s Skip Wise, a 6-4 guard, was the only freshman chosen first team All-ACC until Georgia Tech’s terrific Kenny Anderson in 1990.

Wise immediately left to play for the American Basketball Association’s Baltimore Claws and wasn’t drafted by an NBA team.

Other

c03_ap_18256087048925.jpeg

Breanna Stewart leads Seattle Storm to WNBA championship, named finals MVP (PS; AP)

Sue Bird and Breanna Stewart fretted following the regular-season opener after the Seattle Storm lost at home to the Phoenix Mercury.

"We thought, 'Oh, crap, what kind of year is this going to be?'" Bird reminisced.

The answer came nearly four months later with a championship.

Stewart led the Storm to their third WNBA title Wednesday night, scoring 30 points in a 98-82 victory over the Washington Mystics in Game 3 of the best-of-five series.

Natasha Howard added career-high 29 points and 14 rebounds for the Storm. Seattle won 26 games during the regular season -- 11 more than the 2017 campaign -- entered the playoffs as the No. 1 seed, and swept the finals.

Stewart was the league MVP and was selected the Finals MVP after averaging 25.6 points in the three games. She scored 17 points in the first half as the Storm raced to a 47-30 lead.

"Stewie was just amazing," Storm coach Dan Hughes said. "She truly was the MVP of this league. She truly was the MVP of these Finals. God blessed me with an opportunity to coach her and I will be forever grateful."

Bird, also a member of a Seattle's championship teams in 2004 and 2010, was certainly appreciative of the title -- and the growth of the Storm's younger players. Seattle landed Jewell Loyd and Stewart, both All-Stars in 2018 with Bird, with the No. 1 overall picks in 2015 and 2016 respectively.

Wow I think I counted around 15 Saturday games and 1 Friday game out of our 31 total regular season games. Amazing, even most of our conference away games are being highlighted by being on Saturday (Notre Dame, Va Tech, Pitt, Wake, Clemson) with 2 others being on 'Big' Monday (Duke, Virginia) .