Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Yada%252520Yada%252520quote%252520Seinfeld_thumb%25255B3%25255D.jpg

Welcome to Yada Yada Yada Day!

On April 17, 2015, Michael W. Casby saw there was a Blah, Blah, Blah Day. He then tweeted at Checkiday, declaring July 23 as Yada, Yada, Yada Day. He also created Facebook and Twitter pages for the day. Casby said that the Seinfeld episode "The Yada Yada" was "part of the creative inspiration for the establishment of the day." "The Yada Yada" was the 153rd episode in the series and aired on April 24, 1997. It soon became one of the most popular Seinfeld episodes.

The phrase "yada, yada, yada"—which means "so on and so forth," or "blah, blah, blah"—was used in the episode. It is a phrase that had been in use before, but the episode increased its popularity. It had previously been used by comedian Lenny Bruce in the 1950s and 1960s, and by other television shows in the 1980s and 1990s. Yada, Yada, Yada Day gained in popularity on the internet after its creation. Eventually, Jerry Seinfeld himself referenced the day, when he released an episode of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, on the holiday in 2017.

SU News

I4PSSLGM3ZBMJPJW5R5ZTDZCEA.JPG

Boeheim’s Army coach Ryan Blackwell assesses potential $2 million roster in TBT (PS; Ditota)

Sure, Ryan Blackwell prefers his Boeheim’s Army team had the services of Brandon Triche and Chris McCullough this weekend, when it begins its pursuit of $2 million in The Basketball Tournament prize money.

But injury (Triche) and obligation (McCullough) will prevent that from happening. Still, if Blackwell knows anything about how TBT works and what teams need to be successful, he believes the available roster makeup of Boeheim’s Army provides all the essentials.

“We added some guys who will be able to play defense at both ends,” Blackwell said. “Even if we go small and use Hak (Warrick) at the 5, Mike Gbinije and B.J. Johnson and Andrew White will be fine at forward. That’s how Overseas Elite has done it. They play with one big and a ton of 6-5, 6-6 guys who just play hard.

“In games we lost, we haven’t made shots,” Blackwell said. “We have guys who can make plays for themselves and make plays for others.”

B.J. Johnson, a guy who has proven he can “make shots,” is the latest roster addition for Boeheim’s Army. The former Syracuse forward, who stayed two years with the Orange and finished his career at LaSalle “is versatile, athletic and is playing really well right now,” Blackwell said. The Army coach likes the way White, who joined the team last Friday, can score. And earlier last week, Boeheim’s Army added Gbinije, who converted from small forward to point guard at SU and will play in Germany in 2019-20.

“Mike Gbinije fits well -- he’s a 'Cuse guy and brings versatility at both ends of the floor,” Blackwell said. “He can make plays and knock down shots.”

635600478553756761-Roosevelt-Bouie-7.jpg

Kendall basketball players, Roosevelt Bouie (42, left) and his brother, Nathaniel (30).

Kendall's Roosevelt Bouie finds new calling with Syracuse basketball (D&C; Johnson)

Life has come full circle for former Kendall star Roosevelt Bouie.

After a dominant high school career where he only lost one game with Kendall and won four straight Section V, he was Jim Boeheim's first recruit in 1976 and ended up having his jersey retired in 2015 with Louis 'Louie' Orr.

The 'Louie and Bouie' show helped Boeheim reach 100 wins in four years and Bouie eventually had a successful professional career in Italy.

His love for the country was cultivated during a summer trip with his teammates more than 40 years ago.

"One thing I liked the most about playing at Syracuse was that me and my teammates were all friends. We went to Italy my sophomore year and for two weeks they were the only people I could communicate with," Bouie said. "I really got know, respect and like my teammates.

"That's why on defense we took it so personal. We didn't want anybody to score on us because it might make one of our teammates look bad. You would get double- or triple- teams out of nowhere without even asking for help."

It's only fitting that Bouie, now a broadcaster with his own digital show The Orange Appeel with another Syracuse legend Dale Shackleford, will be accompanying Boeheim and the Orange on the team trip to Italy in August.

"It's pretty cool and I like how it's coming full circle. It's a no-brainer fit for me and I would always help out the university in the past any way I can," Bouie said. "I didn't follow sports much and I didn't start playing basketball until I was 14. To this day Syracuse is the only team I follow athletically. If they call me, I'll help out anyway I can."

Bouie's understanding of the game made him an ideal commentator for Time Warner Sports' Orange Overtime postgame show. He also worked with the Rochester RazorSharks, which helped him get back interested in basketball.

Once Spectrum bought Time Warner it was time for Bouie to find a new avenue and social media provided him that.

"When Time Warner sold, our show was highly ranked. So I just started doing Facebook Live with Dale at remote locations, but now we just got approval to do it at the Carrier Dome at Club 44 starting this year," Bouie said. "I remember going in and talking to Juli Boeheim and she said ‘We really like your show. It’s good to have someone who went through the program to have their point of view.'"

https://insidetheloudhouse.com/2019/07/22/syracuse-basketball-dajuan-coleman-leaving-syracuse/ (itlh; Esden Jr)

Former Syracuse basketball center Dajuan Coleman is leaving the Syracuse area. Here are all the details on where he’s going and what’s next.
Dajuan Coleman was born and raised in the salt city.

He was born in October of 1992 here in Syracuse and went to Jamesville-DeWitt high school. After a wildly successful amateur career earning the Mr. New York Basketball Award in 2012 and was a top-10 recruit in the country he was ready for the big time.

Despite all the prominent offers around the country, Coleman decided to stay at home and play for the Syracuse basketball squad and Jim Boeheim.

While things didn’t play out exactly the way Coleman had probably planned in his head, he still had a very respectable Orange career.

The Basketball Tournament: Know before you go (localsyr.com)

Syracuse is playing host to the first two rounds of The Basketball Tournament, a 64-team, single-elimination tournament where the winning team gets a $2 million prize. The winner-take-all game is set for August 6th in Chicago at 9 p.m. on ESPN.

However, in order to get there, teams have to eliminate each other in eight different regionals. The SRC Arena at Onondaga Community College will play host to the Syracuse regional games, where Boeheim’s Army will be playing, which is a team mainly made up of former Syracuse University players.

Schedule of Games

Friday, July 26

• 1 p.m.: Round 1, Game 1: (3) Brotherly Love vs. (6) Jimmy V on ESPN3
  • 3 p.m.: Round 1, Game 2: (2) Armored Athlete vs. (7) Team Draddy (Manhattan) on ESPN3
  • 5 p.m.: Round 1, Games 3: (4) Team Fancy vs. Gael Nation (Iona) on ESPN3
  • 7 p.m.: Round 1, Game 4: (1) Boeheim’s Army (Syracuse) vs. (8) We Are D3 on ESPN2

Saturday, July 27

• 12 p.m.: Round 2, Game 5: Game 3 winner vs. Game 4 winner on ESPN
  • 2 p.m.: Round 2, Game 6: Game 1 winner vs. Game 2 winner on ESPN3
Sunday, July 28
  • 2 p.m.: Round 2, Game 7: Game 5 winner vs. Game 6 winner on ESPN
Ticket Information

Want to see a game in person? Ticket information is available here.

Former Rutgers Basketball players team up for summer tournament (247sports.com; Broggi)

Some former Rutgers standouts on the hardwood will be reuniting next weekend to play for a good cause in The Basketball Tournament. It is a single-elimination tournament with a prize of $2 million, consisting of teams built around alums of various universities and cities. The Basketball Tournament is a 64-team field that is single elimination and divvied up into four regions.

With a nucleus of Corey Sanders, Deshawn Freeman, and CJ Gettys, a team run by former Rutgers basketball manager Alex Neumann will take the floor this Friday in Syracuse, N.Y. The team will play under the name “Playing For Jimmy V.”

The team has partnered with the V Foundation, which helps fund cancer research and was founded by ESPN and the late Jim Valvano, a Rutgers alum.

Playing For Jimmy V will donate a portion of its winnings to the V Foundation if the team can make it that far. Scarlet Nation was able to talk with Neumann about how he helped assemble the team.

“I was a manager when Corey, CJ, and Deshawn were there and we knew we wanted them to be the core of our team,” Neumann said. “From there, we networked and from guys that those three knew from school and overseas we were able to add Bashir Ahmed from St. John’s and one of his teammates from overseas, Divine Miles. We added guys like Jason Dunne from Jersey and Joel Hernandez from LIU Brooklyn just through our guys as well.”

Construction finally underway for $118M facelift to Carrier Dome (cnycentral.com; video; Hauswirth)

It's perhaps the biggest construction project the City of Syracuse has seen in several years.

The $118 million renovations to the Carrier Dome is finally underway after two years of detailed planning.

Syracuse University, along with neighboring school SUNY ESF and the city itself, have been hard at work making sure the project goes off without a hitch this summer.

As far as SU's Chief Facilities Officer Pete Sala is concerned, the project is on-time and fully prepared to move forward.

The first visible evidence of construction began in recent days, as workers were using cranes and lifts to assemble the first phase of the steel installation.

Monday's work is called 'ex-bracing', and the construction workers will install the steel beams in all four corners of the Carrier Dome.

The steel beams being installed are in place to take away the strain and force ahead of when the crown truss [the new roof] gets put into place.

Other

BTP6LEGCARBJRLVR43VIDOXZGU.JPG

2 years after closing, Flame restaurant returns to Syracuse as a food truck (PS; Pucci)

Flame restaurant closed around two years ago, but now there’s a new incarnation, thanks to two former employees who borrowed the name and opened a food truck.

Cousins Ja Seng and Seng Awng came to Syracuse around five years ago as refugees from Myanmar and started working at Flame soon after. Flame was located at 713 E. Fayette St. in what is now XO Taco.

The restaurant’s eclectic menu—a mix of Turkish cuisine and pizza—largely lives on at the food truck, which offers a mix of Turkish-style chicken and beef tantuni wraps and Burmese rice bowls. For catering, the truck has additional options, including spring rolls and Japanese onigiri rice balls.

Tash Taskale, owner of the former Flame restaurant and a Syracuse-based artist whose sculptures can be found locally at the Everson Museum, Griffiss International Sculpture Garden, Lemp Park, Onondaga Community College and other sites across the world, is mentoring the pair.

They credit Taskale for giving them the guidance and courage to open the food truck.

“He’s a good teacher,” Seng said. “We’re grateful.”

The food truck has been in the works for about six months, Seng said, though her desire to start her own business started many years earlier. Both she and Awng work other jobs at night, but they hope to one day focus entirely on the food truck.

They currently serve lunch on weekdays from 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. outside Taskale’s art studio at 1101 Erie Blvd. W. For more information, visit Flame’s Instagram.