Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
WomenandGirls_Final_2.08-1024x622.jpg
Welcome to International Day of Women and Girls in Science!

Science and gender equality are both vital for the achievement of the internationally agreed development goals, including the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Over the past decades, the global community has made a lot of effort in inspiring and engaging women and girls in science. Yet women and girls continue to be excluded from participating fully in science.

In order to achieve full and equal access to and participation in science for women and girls, and further achieve gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls, the United Nations General Assembly declared 11 February as the International Day of Women and Girls in Science in 2015.

SU News

Bleav in Syracuse Episode 34: Breaking Down Jesse Edwards Loss (SI; podcast; Bleav)

Bleav in Syracuse podcast episode 34, presented by Bet Online and Hofmann Sausage Company, is out! With Jesse Edwards out for the rest of the season, Mike McAllister and Kyle Leff take a look at the how the Orange can adjust as well as reassessing the remaining schedule.

XL5P4PJBXZCCFJMAOZKVV2HU4Y.jpg

Orlando Magic's Michael Carter-Williams moves the ball against the Boston Celtics during the first half of an NBA preseason basketball game, Friday, Oct. 11, 2019, in Orlando, Fla. (AP Photo/John Raoux)AP

Former Syracuse star Michael Carter-Williams waived by Orlando Magic (report) (PS; Carlson)

Former Syracuse star Michael Carter-Williams will be waived by the Orlando Magic on Thursday in order to make room for two players acquired in a trade with the Boston Celtics, according to a report by the Orlando Sentinel’s Khobi Price.

League source tells @orlandosentinel/@orlandosports that the Magic are also waiving Michael Carter-Williams in addition to E’Twaun Moore.

Orlando needed to clear two roster spots for Bol Bol and P.J. Dozier.
— Khobi Price (@khobi_price) February 10, 2022

The two teams exchanged future second-round draft picks, with the Magic also taking on Bol Bol and P.J. Dozier. The trade got the Celtics under the NBA’s luxury tax.

Carter-Williams played 31 games this season before suffering a left ankle injury that required surgery. The former NBA Rookie of the Year averaged 8.8 points, 4.5 rebounds and 4.2 assists in those appearances. He played portions of the last three seasons with the Magic and has played eight seasons in the NBA with six different franchises.

“I’ve learned so much. I know how (the NBA) works,” Carter-Williams told Syracuse.com on Wednesday. “I know what it takes to be successful. I know what it takes to be available and stay on a team and work for a position. You just learn so much. Coming in, it’s a free-for-all. You don’t know what to expect. You don’t know how the business side of the NBA works, but as you’re in the league, you start to learn those things.”

Boston is currently in seventh place in the Eastern Conference, while Orlando sits outside the playoff picture in 14th.

Carter-Williams was one of five former Syracuse players playing in the NBA this year, joining Carmelo Anthony, Jerami Grant, Oshae Brissett and Elijah Hughes.

Syracuse Basketball: Losing Jesse Edwards is so sad, massive blow to SU (itlh; Adler)

I have to admit it, I was feeling pretty good about Syracuse basketball of late.

The Orange (13-11, 7-6), as it prepares to play at Virginia Tech (14-10, 6-7) this Saturday evening, has been performing at a high level in recent games and is on a four-contest winning streak.

I even penned a recent column where I discussed how the ‘Cuse might be able to re-enter the Big Dance conversation, which was fairly awesome, given that the team stood at 9-11 overall not too long ago.

But then, in the late morning on Thursday, I got an e-mail from the Orange program’s spokesman, saying that junior center Jesse Edwards would be out for the remainder of the 2021-22 campaign after suffering a left-wrist fracture in the ‘Cuse triumph at Boston College earlier this week.

Just got this note from a Syracuse basketball spokesman: "Junior center Jesse Edwards suffered a left wrist fracture in Syracuse's game with Boston College on Tuesday, Feb. 8. He will be out for the remainder of the season." So sad for Jesse.
— InsideTheLoudHouse (@LoudHouseFS) February 10, 2022

Talk about a punch to the gut. More importantly than anything that actually transpires on the court, my heart breaks for the 6-foot-11 Edwards, who has put forth a strong junior term. I wish him a speedy recovery.

Syracuse basketball will have a huge void to fill with Jesse Edwards injured.

Even though he struggled at Boston College, Edwards is having a break-out season. Per ESPN statistics, Edwards is averaging 27.8 minutes, 12.0 points, 6.6 rebounds, 2.8 blocks, 1.1 steals and 1.0 assist per encounter. He’s also connecting on a stellar 69.1 percent from the field.

Those numbers are a significant improvement from what Edwards did as a sophomore, although he only averaged about 9 minutes of run in 2020-21.

Without question, Edwards had put himself in serious contention for the Atlantic Coast Conference’s Most Improved Player award this season.

In my humble opinion, he’s the best center in terms of offensive production for Syracuse basketball dating back to Rakeem Christmas in 2014-15, when Christmas received All-American honors.

Syracuse Basketball: With Jesse Edwards injured, debating center options (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball junior center Jesse Edwards is unfortunately out for the rest of the 2021-22 campaign due to a wrist injury that he suffered earlier this week in the team’s win at Boston College.

Fully replacing Edwards, who has performed at a high level throughout the current term, is a seemingly impossible task for the Orange (13-11, 7-6), which plays at Virginia Tech (14-10, 6-7) this Saturday night.

However, head coach Jim Boeheim and his assistants do have a variety of other options at the center position. It will be interesting to see what occurs at the center spot versus the Hokies and for the remainder of 2021-22.

Let’s examine some of the alternatives at center for Syracuse basketball.

Frank Anselem
Sophomore center Frank Anselem has served as Edwards’ primary back-up for the majority of this season. Anselem has made some nice contributions here and there in limited minutes throughout 2021-22.

Whether Anselem might get the starting nod at center on Saturday evening at Virginia Tech remains to be seen, but I imagine that his time on the court will substantially increase with Edwards no longer in the line-up.

Jimmy Boeheim
On occasion in 2021-22, graduate student forward Jimmy Boeheim has anchored the Orange zone defense in the center position. He’s not as tall as Anselem or Edwards, although Boeheim is a pretty physical player and a good rebounder.

If Boeheim were to play the five, I could envision the two forward spots then being occupied by senior Cole Swider, who has been on a tear of late, and freshman Benny Williams.

Again, that sort of rotation doesn’t provide the same shot-blocking presence that Edwards has this term, however, I do think that Boeheim, Swider and Williams manning the frontcourt is a legitimate option.

Another ACC Injury: Jesse Edwards Out For The Year For Syracuse (DBR; King)

ACC injuries continue to pile up and they are really affecting big men. So far, Florida State’s Naheem McCloud is out (broken hand) and NC State is without Manny Bates, lost in the opening minutes of the opening game for the season with a shoulder injury. Later in the year, the Pack also lost young big man Ernest Ross. Notre Dame is without Nate Laszewski although in his case it’s a bone bruise so he should be back relatively soon.

Florida State also is missing Malik Osborne (ankle) and Anthony Polite (wrist).

Now you can add another big man to that list as Syracuse’s Jesse Edwards is gone for the year with, yes, another wrist injury. That makes him the third player to be out with a wrist problem.

It’s sad for Edwards personally as he’s really made progress this season. He’s still foul prone but that can be fixed. He’s worked hard to develop his talent and it’s a shame he can’t continue to help his team.

It’s a major drag for Syracuse as well. There are some other big guys on the roster, but none have really shown they are ready for the spotlight and Jim Boeheim’s 2-3 zone really needs an anchor/backstop. Without Edwards, it’s either going to be 6-10 sophomore Frank Anselem, who gets about 10 mpg, 6-10 sophomore John Bol Ajak, who has only gotten into seven games or senior Bourama Side, who has only gotten into four games this season.

According to Wikipedia, Edwards’ nickname is the Mad Professor. Don’t us, we just work here.

Seriously though, he sounds like a nice kid who’s had some rotten luck. This is his second wrist injury, following one before he got to Syracuse.

Updated ACC Men's Basketball Standings (Feb. 10) - Sports Illustrated Virginia Cavaliers News, Analysis and More (SI)

ACC men's basketball standings

ACC Men's Basketball Standings
TeamConferenceOverall
Duke10-320-4
Notre Dame10-317-7
Wake Forest10-420-5
Miami9-417-7
North Carolina9-417-7
Virginia9-515-9
Syracuse7-613-11
Virginia Tech6-714-10
Florida State6-713-10
Louisville5-911-13
Clemson4-812-11
Boston College4-89-13
Pittsburgh4-109-16
Georgia Tech3-910-13
NC State3-1110-15

Other

Fried chicken and collard greens add A Touch of Soul to the western suburbs (Dining In Review) (PS; Paventi)

Pepper steak is not our automatic go-to on a soul food menu, but given its placement on the top of the menu, we felt like we shouldn’t look away from the version served at Solvay’s A Touch of Soul.

It’s a dish where stirfry meets Southern cuisine: Strips of beef and thin-sliced bell peppers are sauteed and steeped in a savory brown gravy and served over rice. The pepper part of the title didn’t just refer to the vegetable. The tender beef and sultry gravy were full of peppery spice. Black pepper, for certain, though we also thought cayenne pepper was in play.

Since the dish ($23) came with sides, we crossed our fingers that the rice and gravy option would include more of the pepper steak sauce. We lucked out, extending the rich, almost creamy texture of the gravy and rice. The leftover portion, which settled in our refrigerator, enjoyed even greater flavor harmony the next day when consumed.

Dinner from A Touch of Soul, Solvay, NY

Pepper steak over rice with a side of rice and the pepper steak gravy from A Touch of Soul, Solvay, NY (Jared Paventi | jaredpaventi@gmail.com)Jared Paventi | jaredpaventi@gma