Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant

Welcome to Moon Day!

Moon Day celebrates the anniversary of the day in 1969 when humankind first walked on the Moon. The Apollo space program had begun under the Eisenhower administration, but a tightened focus on placing a man on the moon before the end of the 1960s occurred after President John F. Kennedy gave a speech before a joint session of Congress, on May 25, 1961, during which he said, "I believe this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the Moon and returning him safely to Earth." This speech was given in the context of the Cold War when the United States was still behind the Soviet Union in the space race but wanted to beat them in landing a man on the Moon.

SU News

Syracuse Basketball: Preseason ACC love for Benny Williams, J.J. Starling (itlh; Adler)

A national pundit is high on two Syracuse basketball players ahead of the 2023-24 campaign.

Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports recently published his off-season report for the Atlantic Coast Conference, where he handed out a variety of superlatives and also projected the order of finish within the league this coming season.

Rothstein has placed the ‘Cuse at No. 10 in his ACC forecast. I noted in another recent column that I think he has the Orange too low in his projections.

In any event, Rothstein has included two ‘Cuse players in his superlatives, and they are junior forward Benny Williams and sophomore guard J.J. Starling, who transferred to the Orange this off-season after spending his freshman term at Notre Dame.

Insider Jon Rothstein is bullish on Syracuse basketball players Benny Williams and J.J. Starling.

Rothstein has the 6-foot-9 Williams, who hails from Bowie, Md., as part of his 10 ACC breakout players. Williams, a five-star prospect in the 2021 class per out of the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., had an inconsistent sophomore stanza but did show flashes of strong play.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse...n-to-five-looking-to-visit-syracuse-this-fall (SI; McAllister)

Priority Syracuse basketball target Jalil Bethea is down to five school, and the Orange made the cut, he announced Wednesday night. The five schools are Alabama, Kansas, Miami, Syracuse and Villanova. In addition, Joe Tipton of On3 reports that Bethea will officially visit Kansas on August 31st, Miami on September 8th and Alabama on September 23rd. Bethea previously took an official to Syracuse in October. Bethea also said he will take a second official to Syracuse the weekend of September 15th,

"Syracuse is one of the schools that fits my play style," Bethea said. "One of the most relationships I have off the court."

Bethea previously indicated an interest in visiting the Orange this fall in order to observe a practice under the new coaching staff. That will come to fruition when he visits in September.

"After the visit, Syracuse is definitely one of my top schools," Bethea said after his official visit this past October. "Most definitely. They treated me like I'm one of them. Like I'm already committed and all that. It was a great experience."

Syracuse Basketball: 5-star priority recruit Jalil Bethea puts Orange in top 5 (itlh; Adler)

Long-time Syracuse basketball 2024 recruit Jalil Bethea from the Philadelphia area revealed his top five on Wednesday night, and the Orange made the cut, which is both encouraging and unsurprising.

The 6-foot-4 guard disclosed a top five of Alabama, Kansas, Miami, the ‘Cuse and Villanova, per an article from On3 national analyst Joe Tipton.

Bethea, a five-star, consensus top-20 national prospect in the rising-senior class, is arguably the fastest-rising prospect in his cycle. When the Orange coaching staff offered a scholarship to Jalil Bethea in September of 2022, some recruiting services had him inside the top 100.

These days, all of the primary recruiting Web sites have him in the top 20. ESPN currently places Bethea in the top 10. I’m of the mindset that he could make a run at the No. 1 national ranking in the 2024 class.

Syracuse basketball has made the top five of 2024 five-star priority target Jalil Bethea.

Last Friday, a report from Joseph Santoliquito on cityofbasketballlove.com stated that Bethea “lists Syracuse, Miami, Kansas, Villanova, UConn and Alabama as his final six schools among more than 30 of the nation’s top programs that have offered him a scholarship.”

"Keeping Up With The 315" 7-19-23 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

To start the show, Brian Higgins draws comparisons between the current North Western lawsuits and those of LeQuint Allen. After, Buddy Boeheim plants the seed that could become one exciting viral video if Brian can get the footage. Later, a check-in on who fans think the favorite to win TBT is.

Boeheims Army Gets Ready for 2023 TBT (orange.net; Gotkin)

The 2023 edition of The Basketball Tournament got underway earlier today. While Boeheims Army may not play until next Monday, now is a perfect time to take a look at the road to glory for the Syracuse alumni team.

Boeheims Army is the number two seed in the Syracuse region. The games will take place at Upstate Medical University Arena, the home of the Syracuse Crunch. Also in the region is the 2022 champions, Blue Collar U, the University of Buffalo alumni team. Also in the region are the UMASS, Rhode Island, and the Penn State alumni team.

The first-round matchup for Boeheims army is Team Gibson. Team Gibson is coached by Tamera Young, an 11-year WNBA veteran. The squad, organized by former NBA player Taj Gibson will be competing in the TBT for the first time. Gibson won’t be playing as he is just the General Manager. A surprising name on the Team Gibson roster, however, is former NFL player Devin Funchess. The eight-year NFL veteran retired from football in 2022 to focus on fulfilling his lifelong dream to play in the NBA.

Earlier today, the jerseys for this year were released today. As a nod to the namesake of the team, Jim Boeheim, the front says just “Boeheim” and the jersey is the exact same style as the 2003 national championship teams jerseys.

McCullough’s knee injury triggered depression. How therapy aided Boeheim’s Army forward (PS; $; Ditota)

For Chris McCullough, the latest knee calamity triggered a series of tumbling dominoes.

McCullough left Syracuse University for the NBA in 2015 after one college basketball season curtailed by a torn ACL. A few years later, knee trouble surfaced again, this time while playing professionally in Korea.

Then came a third knee injury in March 2022.

McCullough was frustratingly familiar with the surgery and rehab that would separate him from games, practices and the opportunity to earn a basketball paycheck.

He flew from Taiwan to his New York City hometown, had surgery by the same doctor who fixed his torn Syracuse ACL, then worried about how he would occupy the days between diagnosis and another basketball job.

“Honestly, it was tough,” McCullough said. “I got this far in basketball to get hurt again. And I felt like I was in the best shape of my life. I was getting a lot of good deals for Japan for the next year for a lot of money, so I was excited about that. And just to get hurt again kind of brought me back to reality. It’s another setback. A third time. Am I gonna get back again?

“I kinda had a whole stage of just being depressed.”

ORANGE ZONE: Boeheim's Army looks to bounce back at 2023 TBT (cnycentral.com; podcast; Orange Zone)

After a two-week hiatus your go-to team for all things Syracuse Orange is back from vacation and better than ever!

On the latest edition of "The Orange Zone Podcast" Tommy Sladek and Samantha Croston review the resolution reached between Syracuse University and Orange football's next man up in the backfield, LeQuint Allen.

Other

OJ6XWX275NHZRBUF437SDI622U.jpg

The entire main campus and equine education center of Cazenovia College has been put up for sale. The nearly 200-year-old private college is scheduled to close following the end of its spring 2023 semester because of financial problems. (A&G Real Estate Partners)

Recently closed Cazenovia College will become site of state police academy branch (PS; Coin)

The campus of Cazenovia College, which closed permanently this spring after 199 years of operation, will become the temporary home of a New York state police training academy.

State police will sign a two-year lease for the buildings on the main college campus and the athletic center, the state and college announced today. The space will be big enough for 275 recruits and 115 instructors, the state said.

The lease begins Aug. 1. The first trooper class is expected to start in October.

Neither the college nor the state released terms of the lease.

The deal is part of Gov. Kathy Hochul’s plan to add more basic police school classes. A news release from Hochul’s office said the state has budgeted $66 million for two classes of state trooper graduates. That money will help make up for academy classes postponed during the COVID-19 pandemic and increase the number of troopers investigating serious crimes, the governor’s office said.

The state plans to hold four academies over the next two years, and because there will be overlap, it looked for locations to supplement the main academy facility in Albany, said state police spokeswoman Deanna Cohen.

Cazenovia College defaulted on a $25 million bond payment in the fall, and its final commencement was May 13. The 27-acre main campus, in the heart of the lakeside village, and a nearby 244-acre equestrian center were put up for sale this spring.

BRDIWISWUJFERFU5575HUKT4GI.jpg

The Strong National Museum of Play's new Hasbro Game Park brings classic board games to life in Rochester, N.Y. in July 2023. Samantha House | shouse@syracuse.com

I took my kid to Strong National Museum of Play’s new game park. Here’s how it went (photos) (PS; House)

Your favorite board games have come to life in a fenced-in, flower-filled courtyard at the Strong National Museum of Play.

There’s a giant game of Simon and a copse of candy cane trees, a life-sized Monopoly car token and wall-sized Scrabble tiles that spell “Play”. There is a sprawling Candy Land path to peruse and Jenga block and Trivial Pursuit wedge benches to rest on.

The scaled-up, explorable games are part of the Hasbro Game Park, the Rochester museum’s new 17,000-square-foot outdoor exhibit. It was part of Strong’s $75 million expansion — a project that included a new parking garage and the world’s largest playable Donkey Kong arcade game.

But does the park live up to the hype? My friend and I brought our daughters to Strong on a weekend in early July to find out. Here’s how it went.

We stepped out of the sweltering, swampy Rochester heat and into Strong’s new welcome atrium, grateful for the air conditioning. The big atrium gave off airport vibes but was airy and easy to navigate, thanks to friendly museum staffers.

The Hasbro Game Park is the final exhibit on the first level — as far from the museum’s single entrance as you can get. So, with plenty of fascinating ground to cover, we ventured past the old-school carousel and looming rope courses to make our way to the outdoor park.