Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to Bagpipe Appreciation Day!

Today we celebrate the bagpipes! The instruments have long been associated with the Scottish Highlands, although they have come from many different places, and there are many variations of them. They have also been used in many different contexts.

The main components of the bagpipe are the bag, chanter, and drones. The bag is usually made of animal skin or rubberized cloth. It is inflated either by having air breathed into it through a blowpipe or by using a bellows. Air can then be fed throughout the instrument to make the sound, by placing arm pressure on the bag. The bag allows sound to be continuous while giving players the chance to take breaths, as well as for several tones to be played at the same time.

SU News

MVL76J7RRRFTNPJP6TNNVNQVWQ.jpg

Boeheim's Army vs The Nerds in The Basketball Tournament played at the War Memorial

Boeheim’s Army wins, sets up huge TBT regional game with Blue Collar U (Ditota’s quick hits) (PS; $; Ditota)

Boeheim’s Army, Part 2.

The War Memorial crowd was again appreciatively dressed in Syracuse orange. And heavily stacked toward the home team.

Boeheim’s Army took a 46-32 lead over The Nerd Team into the locker room. Final score: Boeheim’s Army 83, The Nerd Team 75.

Boeheim’s Army will meet TBT’s defending champion, Blue Collar U, at 9 p.m. Friday in the War Memorial. BCU demolished Virginia Dream, a replacement team for The Rhody Way, which bowed out of the Syracuse Regional before it began.

Here’s what happened in the Boeheim’s Army game:

Grant Riller scored 17 first-half points. He took 11 shots and made eight of them.

Riller, a 6-foot-1 guard, was a prolific scorer in the G League last season. He averaged 21.3 points in 27.6 minutes. And there were stretches in both the first and second Boeheim’s Army games when he took over portions of the scoring.

He mostly makes a mid-range shot or drives it and finishes, but made 1-of-2 from the 3-point line in the first half. The one he drained came off a nice Chris McCullough screen.

He’s just a spectacular scorer.

His free throw sealed the win for Boeheim’s Army.

He finished with 27 points on 11-of-17 shooting.

Speaking of McCullough, he got off to a slow-ish start, but his two 3-pointers during a crucial part of the first half were key to turning it around for the Army.

Amanda Christovich "The 315" 7-26-23 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

Amanda Christovich of Front Office Sports comes on to chat about the latest NIL bills proposed and what they could mean for how college athletes get paid in the future.

Boeheim_Army_Nerd_Team_box | PDF | Team Sports | Ball Games (scribd.com)

Syracuse basketball, in Maui opener, draws preseason top-15 Tennessee (itlh; Adler)

Right before the Thanksgiving holiday, Syracuse basketball and another Orange-clad squad will do battle in an opening-round game of the 2023 Maui Jim Maui Invitational.

Per multiple press releases, the ‘Cuse will face Tennessee in this loaded, eight-team event, which runs from November 20 to November 22 at the Lahaina Civic Center in Maui, Hawaii.

According to SU Athletics, Syracuse basketball will square off against the Volunteers on Monday, Nov. 20, beginning at 2:30 pm EST. ESPN2 will broadcast this juicy encounter. On the Orange’s side of the bracket is a match-up of Purdue versus Gonzaga.

On the other side of the bracket, per the event’s organizers, Kansas will play the host school, Chaminade, while UCLA battles Marquette. The ‘Cuse will compete in three contests at the 2023 Maui Jim Maui Invitational, including a game against either Purdue or Gonzaga.

The most important element here, for me personally, is that I’m a proud SU alumnus and a passionate Syracuse basketball fan. Conversely, my 7-year-old son, Kethan, who primarily lives in Nashville, Tenn., is a huge fan of the Volunteers. Lots of smack-talking is in our future!

Syracuse basketball will play that other “Orange” squad, Tennessee, in Maui.

In 2022-23, when the ‘Cuse went 17-15 overall, Tennessee was one of the better groups in the Southeastern Conference. The Vols sported a 25-11 overall mark a campaign ago, reaching the Sweet 16 of the 2023 NCAA Tournament and finishing at No. 16 in the final Coaches top-25 poll.

Looking ahead to 2023-24, Tennessee is again forecast to be one of the top teams in the SEC. Multiple super early preseason projections for the coming term place the Volunteers in the top 10 to the top 15 across the country.

Syracuse Basketball: 4-star commit Elijah Moore elite in AAU, data show (itlh; Adler)

Hey ESPN, have you checked out what Syracuse basketball 2024 four-star commit Elijah Moore has done on the AAU circuit this spring and summer?

I say this in jest, because I wrote not too long ago about how I thought it was absurd that ESPN didn’t include the 6-foot-4 shooting guard in its latest top 100 for the rising-senior class.

Putting that to the side for a moment, per some recent data noted on Twitter by Synergy Basketball, Elijah Moore was really fabulous in recent months while suiting up in grassroots basketball for the 17U team of the Bronx, N.Y.-based Wiz Kids in the Adidas 3SSB league.

Earlier this month, at the 3SSB’s season-ending playoffs at the Rock Hill Sports & Event Center in Rock Hill, S.C., Moore put on a scoring display, producing games of 20 points, 30 points and 30 points, while draining a ton of 3-pointers.

Orange head coach Adrian Autry and his three assistants were in attendance for Elijah Moore amid an NCAA live period during the 3SSB’s post-season play. But wait. There’s more.

Syracuse basketball 2024 four-star commit Elijah Moore has been tremendous on the AAU circuit.

Synergy Basketball, in one of its tweets, said that Moore ranked No. 1 in offensive efficiency among qualified scorers (a minimum of 12 possessions per game). The ‘Cuse pledge tallied 17.4 possessions and 19.5 points, for 1.13 points per possession.

The Nerd Team vs. Boeheim’s Army (Syracuse) | Basketball 2023 (youtube.com; video; Competition TBT)

The Nerd Team vs. Boeheim’s Army (Syracuse) | Basketball 2023

Central NY’s largest indoor multi-sport complex is closed, sold; will reopen much smaller (PS; $; Doran)

Sport Center 481, the largest indoor sports training facility in Central New York, has closed temporarily and will reopen in a new, but much smaller, nearby location.

Thousands of kids honed their skills at the complex through the years, practicing and playing games there.

Now the indoor sports complex, at 6841 Collamer Road off Interstate 481 in the town of DeWitt, has been sold, said Jim Smith, founder and senior consultant with JHS Management, which owns the facility. The sale closed at the end of June.

The facility was listed for $7.5 million. Smith declined to reveal the purchase price but said the offer was “too good for the partners to turn down.”

Onondaga County records show that the property sold for $3.8 million on June 21 to Sports and Fitness LLC.

Smith said the new facility will open on Sept. 1. It will be nearby, on the east side of Onondaga County. It will be about one-third the size of the closed facility, meaning it won’t offer the full playing fields Sport Center 481 had.

5-time state champion boys basketball coach retires fresh off winning Class B title (PS; $; McClendon)

Every now and then a coach gets the chance to go out on top, but for Westhill boys basketball coach Kevin King, being on top was the norm during his 20-year career leading the Warriors.

The five-time New York state champion said Wednesday that he would be retiring about four months after leading Westhill to the program’s sixth Class B state title.

“Coaching at Westhill has been such a great experience,” King said. “When to stop coaching wasn’t an easy decision. There were reasons to continue but also reasons to stop at this point. I just thought it was time.”

King, a New York City native, arrived in Central New York as a college sophomore on the 1973 Syracuse University men’s basketball team. He played for the Orange for three seasons and served as the sixth man on SU’s 1975 Final Four squad.

$1M Gift for Culinary Hub at John A. Lally Athletics Complex Honors Joseph O. Lampe ’53, L’55, H’04 (syr.edu)

Joseph O. Lampe ’53, L’55, H’04 was the kind of alumnus that every university wants to have—engaged, fiercely loyal, generous, philanthropic and inspiring. Lampe often credited his alma mater for providing him with opportunities and life lessons that made it possible for him to reach the pinnacle of success in his career. And he never forgot that he started his first year at the University working in the cafeteria. That’s why it’s so meaningful that the new kitchen in the John A. Lally Athletics Complex will be named the Lampe Culinary Hub, thanks to a $1 million gift from his trust, as directed by his trustee and widow, Shawn Lampe.

A man smiles for a headshot outdoors.

A $1M gift for a culinary hub in the John A. Lally Athletics Complex honors Joseph O. Lampe ’53, L’55, H’04.

“When Joe was a young boy, his father took him to all the football games. He even got to sit on the bench with the team, and he grew up determined to go to Syracuse University,” says Shawn. “I’ve never known someone to be so in love with his university. And he loved all sports. We often had to cancel social plans to stay home and watch Syracuse basketball games on TV. As the new athletics complex was taking shape, I wanted to honor Joe there in some special way. It made sense to make a gift that would put his name on the kitchen that will nourish every student-athlete in the ‘One Team’ Olympic Sports Dining Hall and the Football Dining Hall.”

The Lampe Culinary Hub and dining halls are centrally located in the new John A. Lally Athletics Complex, which has entered a new phase of development and where construction has commenced on the new Football Operations Center and the “One Team” Olympics Sports Center. The new complex replaces what was once known as the Joseph and Shawn Lampe Athletics Complex. “As a real estate executive and a fundraiser, Joe understood how things must evolve to meet current needs and demands. I know he would be pleased to have his name in a location in the new athletics complex where there will be energy and intention to help students,” Shawn says.

“A native of Syracuse, Joe bled Orange,” said Director of Athletics John Wildhack. “Every Syracuse student, including each one of our student-athletes past, present and future, are the beneficiaries of Joe’s passion for the Block S. We are grateful for the generosity and commitment he and his wife, Shawn, make to the place we are all fortunate to call home.”

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse...ohnson-thankful-for-syracuse-basketball-offer (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse basketball extended an offer to 2025 Castaic (CA) Southern California Academy guard DeMarco Johnson recently.

“I’m grateful to Coach Corey (DeSanti) for inviting me to play with Team Elev8 this past weekend,” Johnson said. “I was able to talk with Coach Griffin after one of my games. He told me he liked my game and gave me an offer.

“I was really excited and thankful.”

Johnson’s family is from New York, and the 6-2 guard says his used to talk about Syracuse on a regular basis.

“My grandfather would always talk about the rich history of the school and men’s basketball,” Johnson said. “I know that their first Final Four was in the early 70’s and then Coach Boeheim took them to more NCAA tournaments and won the championship three years before I was born. There have been a lot of NBA players who have come out of Syracuse.”

The next steps for Johnson are to get to know the Syracuse coaches a bit better and develop a relationship with them. That and visiting the school, which he plans to do this fall.

Other

BLNJCWTS6VGLPKCHJTWPUJMATU.jpg

U.S. Air Force (Ret.) Maj. David Grusch, testifies before a House Oversight and Accountability subcommittee hearing on UFOs, Wednesday, July 26, 2023, on Capitol Hill in Washington. (AP Photo/Nathan Howard)

Whistleblower says US has captured UFOs, reverse-engineered them for decades (PS; AP)

Sport Center 481, the largest indoor sports training facility in Central New York, has closed temporarily and will reopen in a new, but much smaller, nearby location.

Thousands of kids honed their skills at the complex through the years, practicing and playing games there.

Now the indoor sports complex, at 6841 Collamer Road off Interstate 481 in the town of DeWitt, has been sold, said Jim Smith, founder and senior consultant with JHS Management, which owns the facility. The sale closed at the end of June.

The facility was listed for $7.5 million. Smith declined to reveal the purchase price but said the offer was “too good for the partners to turn down.”

Onondaga County records show that the property sold for $3.8 million on June 21 to Sports and Fitness LLC.

Smith said the new facility will open on Sept. 1. It will be nearby, on the east side of Onondaga County. It will be about one-third the size of the closed facility, meaning it won’t offer the full playing fields Sport Center 481 had.

What a strange coincident, I live in CA but happened to notice Sport Center 481 on Monday when I drove by it on the way to the airport, after I made a wrong turn.