Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant

Welcome to National IPA Day!

National IPA Day is celebrated to increase appreciation for one of the world's most popular types of craft beer: the India Pale Ale—commonly known as the IPA. Made with hops and pale malts, the IPA has a full-bodied taste that is bold and bitter. It has a higher alcohol content than the average beer, and many different hop strains are used to brew it. The day brings together large and small breweries, and beer lovers and connoisseurs, for IPA tastings, festivals, and other events.

Although some evidence suggests IPAs were being made in England before they started being sent to India, they gained their name because British sailors traveling to India as part of the East India Company began drinking them in the late eighteenth century. One reason sailors brought them on their journey was the hot climate of India made it difficult to brew beer there. The pale ales had a higher hop content, which helped them better keep their taste as they traveled from England to India, as hops are a natural preservative. They were not the only beer that could be shipped at the time, though, as porters were also shipped to India and California.

SU News

0803_SyracuseReboot.png

‘My name, my neighborhood and Syracuse’: After 47 years, a monumental transition brings a new innovator (theathletic.com; O'Neil)

The essence of what Adrian Autry wants Syracuse basketball to be is currently taped to an otherwise barren office wall to the right of his desk. If that sounds metaphorical, well, it sort of is. The whole space feels like some cosmic interpretation of the Orange’s state of affairs.

Gone is Jim Boeheim, and along with him the 47 years’ worth of trophies, pictures, trinkets and doodads that once spilled from the shelves and lined the walls. In their place is nothing but intention and hope, the walls stripped bare and the shelves emptied. A history of determination, winning, grit, championships has been printed onto computer paper to show workers where the head coach would like the words to be painted, but save for a pair of lonely Final Four chairs plopped haphazardly, the place is otherwise decidedly unadorned.

This is in part a byproduct of Autry’s dizzying schedule. He has spun like a top since March, squeezed by the new world of college basketball in the transfer portal era, where there is no such thing as a “dead period” in recruiting. It is also, however, purposeful. Leaning into Syracuse’s history might be Autry’s motto for the present, but he will not claim any of it as his own. “I only want to decorate with what I’ve earned,” Autry says. “That’s my motivation.”

Not that he needs the extra push. Even amid a spate of recent significant hoops retirements, Syracuse’s transition is monumental. Mike Krzyzewski is not a graduate of Duke, and Roy Williams was head coach at Kansas before taking over at North Carolina, his alma mater. Boeheim arrived on the Syracuse campus as a walk-on in 1962. Seven years later, he was tabbed Roy Danforth’s assistant and, in 1976, named the program’s head coach. Only one other coach in D1 history — Jim Phelan at Mount St. Mary’s — has logged more seasons at one school (49) than Boeheim (47). So deep do Boeheim’s roots run that, of the Orange’s 41 NCAA Tournament appearances, Boeheim has been a player, an assistant or the head coach for all but one.

How can SU avoid getting lost in the shuffle of conference realignment? (Mike’s mailbox) (PS; $; Waters)

I don’t say this enough, but I really appreciate the questions that I receive from readers for Mike’s Mailbox.

This week offers several examples of the quality of questions that come in on a weekly basis. And you’ll notice that this week’s questions all address a different topic.

We’ve got questions about conference realignment, the ACC’s coaching hot seat, next year’s Orange and Boeheim’s Army. Great stuff!

Q: Is there a situation where Syracuse isn’t lost in the shuffle of conference realignment?

Seth G.

Mike:
That’s a tough question to answer because Syracuse’s fate seems to be tied to the future of the ACC.

Syracuse might have some control of its own future, but SU obviously does not wield the same financial power as Clemson, Florida State and North Carolina. Those schools are in no danger of being lost in the realignment shuffle. If the time comes when the ACC starts to lose members, the Big Ten and SEC would gladly scoop up schools like Clemson, FSU and North Carolina.

For now, the ACC’s grant-of-rights agreement is holding the conference together. Kind of.

The ACC’s grant-of-rights contract runs through 2036. No one’s bolting soon and leaving all their media rights (i.e. television money) on the table.

I think this even with Wednesday’s news that after a meeting of Florida State’s board of trustees, the FSU president said that without a radical change of the ACC’s revenue distribution the school would need to seriously look at leaving the conference.

Now, that could be a lot of sabre-rattling from the folks in Tallahassee. Do they really want to give up their television and media rights for the next 12 years? This may be a negotiating ploy along the lines of Saquon Barkley threatening to sit out the season unless he got a better deal from the New York Giants.

Syracuse basketball commit Donnie Freeman into top 20, nearing 5 stars (itlh; Adler)

Buoyed by a strong AAU circuit this spring and summer, Syracuse basketball 2024 four-star commit Donnie Freeman from Washington, D.C., continues to make moves up the charts in the national rankings for his class.

At this juncture, he’s a consensus top-45 national prospect in the rising-senior cycle, per the main recruiting services (247Sports, ESPN, , On3, the 247Sports Composite and the On3 Industry Ranking).

However, another recruiting Web site, MADE Hoops, has the Orange pledge even higher than that. Not too long ago, Max Feldman, an excellent scouting analyst, noted some of the biggest risers in MADE Hoops’ recently updated 2024 national rankings.

Freeman, a 6-foot-9 power forward, checks in at No. 18 across the country, according to MADE Hoops. Should he keep on seeing his rating climb, and I think that will happen, Donnie Freeman should be able to make a serious run at five-star status in this cycle.

Syracuse basketball 2024 four-star commit Donnie Freeman has vaulted into the top 20 nationwide.

As a junior during the 2022-23 campaign, Freeman earned All-America honors in helping lead St. John’s College High School in D.C. to a fabulous season in which it was placed in national top-25 rankings.

In the most recent grassroots basketball circuit, Freeman proved a key contributor for the D.C.-based Team Takeover in Nike’s EYBL league. From late April to late May, Team Takeover was one of the top squads in the 17U division during the EYBL’s regular season.

Then in early July, at the annual Peach Jam tournament in North Augusta, S.C., Freeman was a standout as Team Takeover won the 17U championship. For his efforts last month at Peach Jam, Donnie Freeman received inclusion on The Circuit’s All-Peach Jam first team.

Former Syracuse basketball star Buddy Boeheim re-signs with Detroit Pistons (PS; Waters)

Buddy Boeheim has re-signed with the Detroit Pistons after splitting the 2022-23 season between the NBA team and its G-League affiliate.

Boeheim, who played at Syracuse from 2018 to 2022, signed a new Exhibit 10 contract with the Pistons on Tuesday, according to ESPN’s Dave McMenamin and The Athletic’s James Edwards.

Boeheim was signed to a two-way contract with Detroit last season. He appeared in 10 games with Detroit as a rookie. In 18 games with the Pistons’ G-League affiliate, the Motor City Cruise, he averaged 12.1 points per game and shot 37.4% on 3-pointers.

Boeheim played very well in the NBA’s Las Vegas Summer League last month. In five games with the Pistons, Boeheim averaged 6.0 points and made 45% (9 out of 20) shots from 3-point range.

In re-signing with Detroit on an Exhibit 10 contract, Boeheim will participate in the Pistons’ training camp. It is a one-year deal with an NBA minimum salary.

Detroit can convert the deal to a two-way deal, but must do so before the start of the regular season. Exhibit 10 deals are usually non-guaranteed.

Detroit will control Boeheim’s G-League rights as well. If he spends 60 or more days with the Pistons’ G-League franchise, Boeheim will be eligible for an additional $75,000.

What's Next For Buddy Boeheim? (orangefizz.net; Griffin)

After not being selected in the 2022 NBA Draft, Syracuse legend and fan favorite Buddy Boeheim signed a two-way deal with the Detroit Pistons. The guard played 18 games at the G-League level in 2022-23, averaging 12 points per game while shooting over 37% from beyond the arc. Additionally, Boeheim saw 10 games in the NBA, averaging nine minutes per contest. Earlier this summer, Detroit renounced its rights to Boeheim despite his shooting 6-for-7 from three in two summer league games. But things have changed for the better now.

Buddy Boeheim is re-signing with the Detroit Pistons, his agent, Drew Gross of Roc Nation Sports, told ESPN. Boeheim appeared in 10 games with DET on a rookie two-way deal last year and 18 games with their G League affiliate, where he averaged 12.1 ppg on 37.4% from 3.
— Dave McMenamin (@mcten) August 2, 2023

Buddy’s new deal is what’s called an “Exhibit 10”. Such contracts are for just one year with a minimum salary and can be converted into a two-way deal at the team’s discretion. However, that conversion must be enacted before the start of the regular season, which is currently scheduled for October 24. We’ll better grasp Boeheim’s situation then, but this is good news.

When Summer League play ended a few weeks ago, Buddy’s averages stood at 6.5 points per game in less than 10 minutes per contest on a 57.1% clip from three. While the playing time is pedestrian, scoring at that rate in a fairly short period is going to catch the attention of NBA and team executives. Also, what is not to love about that shooting percentage? It’s not realistic to keep that up throughout an entire season, but as we saw at Syracuse, when he’s hot he’s really hot. The Summer League play is not a good way to completely determine what a player’s NBA production might look like, but it certainly helps his case.

Hughes heads overseas with a mission and gratitude: ‘I get to play basketball. I’m happy’ (PS; $; Ditota)

After Elijah Hughes and his agent considered offers for where the former Syracuse University basketball guard might spend the 2023-24 season, they settled on Turkey.

Hughes, 25, has played in the United States since he was the 39th selection of the 2020 NBA Draft. His pro career started in Utah, then moved to Portland via trade. Last season, Hughes was a member of the Wisconsin Herd, his first full year in the G League.

Hughes averaged 16.2 points, 4.2 rebounds and 2.4 assists for the Herd last season. He shot 42.6% overall, 35.5% from the 3-point line and made 85% of his free throws.

He said during a Monday telephone conversation that he’d had a “solid” year with the Milwaukee Bucks G League franchise. He wished the Herd won more games. (The team was 17-30.) The G League experience for Hughes was an adjustment after a couple NBA seasons.

But Hughes is philosophical about it. He gets to play basketball for a living. He knows he’s lucky.

“I try not to take it for granted,” he said. “If things pan out the way I hope they pan out, I don’t ever close the door on the NBA. I hope I can one day find myself back in the States playing in the NBA. But I get to wake up and figure out how many hours I want to play basketball every day. That’s my job. And that’s what makes me happy.”

CYUACLFY4VEITBMT4PDAEMSEJQ.JPG

Syracuse's C.J. Fair goes in in a big one hand left handed dunk late in the Orange's game against Georgetown in the Big East East semi-final game. Dennis Nett | denett@syracuse.com

Throwback to a rivalry: SU basketball-Georgetown alumni game coming to OCC (PS; Waters)

The Syracuse men’s basketball team will play at Georgetown in December.

But for fans who can’t wait or want to see the players who actually helped forge the rivalry between the two former Big East foes, the Alumni Basketball League will provide the opportunity this Sunday.

A group of former Syracuse players will take on a team of Georgetown alums at the SRC Arena on the Onondaga Community College campus at 7 p.m. Sunday. Tickets are $15. More information is available at www.ablballin.com.

“I think it’ll be fun,’’ said former SU guard Eric Devendorf, the general manager of the SU alumni squad. “It’s another chance for fans to come out and see some of their favorite Syracuse players again and watch us go up against the Georgetown guys.’’

The SU alum roster includes Rick Jackson, C.J. Fair, Malachi Richardson, Jimmy Boeheim, Chris McCullough, John Gillon and Paul Harris. Devendorf said he might also suit up for the Orange alums.

The Georgetown team, known as DawgTalk, will feature Greg Monroe, Henry Sims, Aaron Bowen, D’Vantes Smith Rivera, Jagan Mosley, Jason Clark, and Rodney Pryor. Former Hoyas guard Chris Wright is serving as the team’s general manager.

The game is a product of the Alumni Basketball League, a concept that Kareem Rush, who played at Missouri and in the NBA with the Los Angeles Lakers, has been working on for a few years.

In 2018, Rush organized a charity game between former Missouri players against a team of Kansas alums. Scheduling conflicts forced the cancellation of a double-header with Arkansas and Kansas State teams joining, in 2019. Then Covid interrupted plans for the next two years.

Last year, the Georgetown alumni played some former Maryland players. Two weeks ago, the Maryland squad played a team from West Virginia.

CJ Fair "The 315" 8-2-23 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

Former Syracuse Men’s basketball player C.J. Fair joins the show to talk about his favorite Syracuse moments and what he expects from the upcoming alumni basketball tournament

"Keeping Up With The 315" 8-2-23 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

First, Brian talks possible league realignments. Later, he discusses the latest news out of Syracuse Football’s training camp, before finally, wrapping it up with C.J. Fair as the two take a ride down memory lane and discuss which of Fair’s SU highlights are his favorite and more

syracuse-univ-jeremy-jordan-falk-dean-su-news-web-b.jpg

Syracuse University announced it has appointed Jeremy Jordan as the next dean of the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics. His appointment is effective Sept. 1. (Photo credit: Syracuse University news website)

Syracuse University selects new dean of Falk College (cnybj.com; Reinhardt)

Syracuse University has selected the next dean of the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics.

The university describes Jeremy Jordan as a “seasoned academic with extensive experience” in sport and recreation management. His appointment is effective Sept. 1.

“Jeremy Jordan brings a combination of academic leadership experience and hands-on industry knowledge that will be a boon to Falk College and its professional programs —from food studies to marriage and family therapy to social work,” Gretchen Ritter, vice chancellor, provost, and chief academic officer at Syracuse University, said in a release. “I look forward to working with him, especially on important initiatives like the launch of the esports degree and the expansion of the sport management program.”

Jordan succeeds Diane Lyden Murphy, who is concluding her tenure as dean of the Falk College, a position she has held since 2005. She has worked at Syracuse University for 45 years.

“Diane has truly left her mark on Falk College, shepherding it from its early days and overseeing multiple successful initiatives,” Ritter said. “I thank her for her service and her incredible contributions to the college and the University.”

Jordan is currently the vice provost for faculty affairs at Temple University in Philadelphia, where he is also a professor and Ed Rosen Senior Research Fellow in the School of Sport, Tourism and Hospitality Management’s Department of Sport and Recreation Management. He is the NCAA faculty athletics representative and has also been the director of the Sport Industry Research Center.

Other

DA652HXRDNE53CB7T5UXJB25GA.jpg

Diana deLuca, of Frankfort, takes photos of her daughter Victoria in the blooming sunflowers at Wagner Farms in Rome, N.Y. on Wednesday, Aug. 12, 2020. N. Scott Trimble | strimble@syracuse.comN. Scott Trimble | strimble@syracuse.com

Sunflower season blooms at Central NY farm after push from patrons (PS; House)

When Wagner Farms announced in December it would be closing after nearly 25 years, patrons responded with a plea:

Don’t shutter the sunflower fields.

After a few months of persistent requests, Wagner Farms decided to try making the popular Rome sunflower fields happen “one more time”. Ron Wagner, the owner, announced on April 17 on Facebook that his family would be selling $10 presale, all-access passes to the sunflower fields. By April 29, he said the farm had already sold nearly 450 passes.

“Because you asked and demanded they return this summer,” Wagner wrote, “we were able to make this happen only because of you.”

Now, the gilded fields at 5841 Old Oneida Road are officially in bloom.