Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU

15472276-mmmain.jpg

Thomas Bryant When He was Still at Bishop Kearney

Who is the Mystery Recruit JB Thinks He is Getting? (PS; Waters)

So who is the mystery recruit that Jim Boeheim was referring to?

On Tuesday, Boeheim, in speaking to a local group, noted the four players in the Class of 2015 that have given verbal commitments to Syracuse.

But in his comments, Boeheim cryptically mentioned another recruit was on the way.

"I will tell you that next year's recruiting class will be the best that we've ever had here at Syracuse University. That's next year's class — 2015. We've got four guys (who've committed) and we're getting another, but I can't talk about that. It's going to be a great recruiting class, and I think you'll be excited about the future."

Boeheim can be talking about one of only two players. Thomas Bryant, a 6-9 center from Rochester, N.Y., and Derrick Jones, a 6-6 wing from Philadelphia.

Those are the only players in the 2015 class that Syracuse has any continued interest in.

Poll: Is JB Right in Saying 2015 Class is His Best Ever? (PS; Waters)

The 2002 Melo Class Currently Leads...

Speaking to a group of over 300 employees at Eaton's Crouse-Hinds on Tuesday, Syracuse basketball coach Jim Boeheim said that the 2015 recruiting class might be his best ever.

Syracuse currently has verbal commitments from four players in the 2015 class. They are Malachi Richardson, a 6-5 guard from Trenton, N.J.; Moustapha Diagne, a 6-9 forward from Sparta, N.J.; Frank Howard, a 6-6 guard from Fairfax, Va.; and Tyler Lydon, a 6-9 forward from Pine Plains, N.Y.

All four are consensus Top 100 prospects. All four are ranked in the nation's top 70 recruits on ESPN.com.

"I will tell you that next year's recruiting class will be the best that we've ever had here at Syracuse University,'' Boeheim said. "That's next year's class — 2015. We've got four guys (who've committed) and we're getting another, but I can't talk about that. It's going to be a great recruiting class, and I think you'll be excited about the future."

JB Says 2015 Recruiting Class His Best Ever. Do You Agree? (PS; Poliquin)

Speaking to a gathering of 300 and more employees, the Orange basketball coach offered a peek behind the curtain.

"It's always difficult when you lose players, sometimes a bit early," said Boeheim, who was certainly referencing the premature defections of would-be sophomore Tyler Ennis and would-be junior Jerami Grant to the NBA. "But that's what happens. We'll be all right.

"I will tell you that next year's recruiting class will be the best that we've ever had here at Syracuse University. That's next year's class — 2015. We've got four guys (who've committed) and we're getting another, but I can't talk about that. It's going to be a great recruiting class, and I think you'll be excited about the future."

Former Players

-3756f9344085a398.JPG

CJ Fair Fires Tobias Harris' Dad; Signs with Bell Sports, Inc. (PS; Waters)

C.J. Fair has fired his agent and signed on with a new agency, both his former agent and his father confirmed on Thursday.

Fair, who led Syracuse University in scoring in each of the last two seasons, was not selected in the NBA's draft last June. He played in the NBA's Las Vegas Summer League with the Dallas Mavericks. The summer league ended last weekend.

"He terminated me yesterday,'' Torrel Harris, who had been representing Fair, said Thursday. "I like C.J. I wish the best for him.''

Fair was apparently unhappy with the lack of a guaranteed deal from any NBA team.

Other

brad-paisleyjpg-0ca5e4a1fde28f49.jpg

Brad Paisley Will Play the Grandstand at the 2014 NYS Fair

4 Things You Need to Know About the 2014 New York State Fair (PS; Herbert)

Summer is fading fast in Syracuse. The 2014 New York State Fair, the unofficial last hurrah for the warm season in Central New York, opens in just four weeks on Thursday, Aug. 21.

The NYS Fair runs 12 days and nights, ending on Labor Day, Sept. 1. This year's theme is "Summer's Best in Show," featuring food, music, rides, games, exhibits, animals, agriculture and more.

Here are four things you need to know to get ready for all the fun:

1. You can buy tickets online
For the first time ever, fairgoers can buy advance tickets online. The New York State Fair's official website launched a new purchasing page this week, offering five options: Single-day advance sale tickets for $6 (tickets will be $10 at the gate); Frequent Fairgoer 6-Day Pass with six days worth of tickets for $30; Midway Ride Wristband to ride all day for one day for $20; daily parking pass for $5; and the Midway Ride Mega Pass Card, offering Midway rides all day, every day for $70. Tickets are also still available at the NYS Fair Box Office and area grocery stores and pharmacies.

-9e948a7ff76050a5.JPG

Hash, home fries and eggs over medium at Mother's Cupboard

Mother's Cupboard is Famous and Friendly; PS Review (PS; Marmaduke)

Mother's Cupboard is famous. Visited by Adam Richman for a 2010 episode of the Travel Channel's "Man vs. Food," it offers the Frittata Challenge, six pounds of eggs, sausage, pepperoni, onions, peppers and broccoli (whole frittata $10.95, with cheese $12.95, but also available in halves and quarters for a little less). Though we would like to have seen one whole, we chose more moderate breakfasts.

Unlike its food, Mother's Cupboard is small, with 36 seats, eight of which are at the counter overlooking the grill. In an attempt to avoid lines, we arrived shortly after 7 a.m. on a Sunday. The diner was only about one-third full, and even when we left around 8 a.m., it was just beginning to fill up. Our server told us that, though Saturday morning starts and stays busy, the crowds don't really start until about 8:30 on Sundays and business fluctuates on weekdays.

Open from 6 a.m. until 1:30 p.m. every day, Mother's Cupboard's lunch menu says lunch is available only on weekdays. However, our server said that we could get a burger or sandwich on the weekend but that they don't turn the fryers on, so sides like onion rings and fries are not an option then.

15475417-mmmain.jpg

Hancock Drone Protesters Arrested at Base (PS; Sturtz)

Seven people were arrested Wednesday while protesting outside Hancock Air Base against the use of remotely piloted drones over Afghanistan.

On Wednesday morning, eight Atlantic Life Community activists joined with Upstate Drone Action at the main gate of the base, which is home to the 174th Attack Wing of the New York State Air National Guard.

The 174th pilots weaponized MQ9 Reaper drones.

Upstate Coalition to Ground the Drones and End the Wars said in a statement that the protesters delivered a "People's War Crimes Indictment" to the base's chain of command, affixing it to the base fence after being denied entrance. The group also delivered an "Order of Protection" on behalf of the children subjected to drone surveillance and attack.

How can we tell is the 2015 class is the "best ever" before they've played a game. That's a judgement for when their acheivements are in the books, not our imaginations.