Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - For Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday For Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

-4fd30728c9a206d6.jpg

Tyler Ennis Only Had One Chance to Play Colgate While at Syracuse

SU to Host Colgate in 2014-15 (PS; Waters)

Syracuse and Colgate have met on the hardwood 166 times since the schools' first meeting back on Jan. 15, 1902.

The Orange and the Raiders will make it 167 times when the teams meet at the Carrier Dome on Monday, Dec. 22. Syracuse University officials announced the date of the game today.

Syracuse holds a 121-45 edge in the series between the two Upstate New York schools. Syracuse has won the last 48 games in a row against Colgate. The 48-game win streak is the longest active streak between two NCAA Division I schools. Syracuse defeated Colgate, 69-50, last season.

How Ohio State Lost Moyer to Syracuse (elevenwarriors.com; Young)

Saturday, Moyer committed to Syracuse. Naturally, because he is from the Columbus area, there is a rush to figure out how he could possibly escape the grasp and lure of the Buckeyes.

As the four-star recruit told Syracuse.com, his reasoning is fairly fundamental in the world of recruiting.

"I had a whole lot of options, but Syracuse just felt like the perfect place for me. Their style of play fits me," Moyer said. "I have a great relationship with Coach Boeheim and Coach GMac (assistant coach Gerry McNamara)."

Among the many reasons why Ohio State was unable to cultivate the same sort of relationship with Moyer and his family: scholarship arithmetic. The Buckeyes already have four commitments in the class of 2015. Esa Ahmad and Carlton Bragg remain high-priority recruits, so they could end up with as many as six in that class.

15607678-mmmain.jpg

Hometown Bracket Madness: Which Team Will Prevail? (PS; Ditota)

LeBron James was the inspiration.

After King James declared he was heading home to play for the Cleveland Cavaliers, ESPN wondered what the NBA would look like if all its superstars defected to their hometowns. The website produced its own rosters. Carmelo Anthony, for instance, would be paired with Ty Lawson, Rudy Gay, Kevin Durant and Roy Hibbert on a D.C. NBA team. (We know he's from Baltimore; ESPN took a bit of liberty.)

That led me to wonder what hometown teams of Syracuse players would look like. And it led Mike Waters to want to make a tournament out of the whole thing.

With that, we're introducing our Syracuse Hometown Bracket Madness. We've formed eight teams. We'll pit them against each other over the next week. You, the voter, will decide which team advances in the tournament by voting in a poll.

15602768-mmmain.jpg

Derrick Coleman Responds to Detroit's Absence From Hometown Bracket Madness (PS; Waters)

Syracuse Hometown Bracket Madness consists of eight teams made up of Syracuse players representing their hometowns or regions.

Carmelo Anthony leads the Baltimore team. The Washington, D.C., squad includes both Lawrence Moten and Dave Bing. Team Philly boasts Hakim Warrick and Dion Waiters. There's a Syracuse team and a Rochester team.

But there's no team from Detroit. Over the years, Syracuse has attracted some talented players out of the Motor City, including Derrick Coleman, Todd Burgan, Erich Santifer and Eric Devendorf. But the Detroit team lacked another player to round out its starting five, thereby eliminating Detroit from the Hometown Bracket Madness field.

"I blame that on Coach,'' Coleman said, referring to SU coach Jim Boeheim. "It's his fault for not recruiting more guys from Michigan.''

ACC

14490619-mmmain.jpg

Clemson HC Brad Brownell

ACC Non Conference Schedule Assessment: Clemson Learns From Last Year's Gamble (PS; Stevens)

The single most interesting nonconference schedule in the ACC this season was going to be Clemson's. Not because of any single game that warranted attention (and at first glance, there isn't one contest that qualifies as unmistakable must-see-TV). Rather, it's because the Tigers had their slim NCAA tournament hopes scuttled rather quickly last season because of their schedule strength concerns.

So, did Clemson learn its lesson (even if the jury remains out on whether it will matter this time around)? Let's find out.

Former Players

15613545-large.jpg

Dion Waiters (and LeBron) Will Play on National TV a Lot Next Season (PS; Murray)

Get ready to watch a lot of former Syracuse star Dion Waiters.

With LeBron James' return to Cleveland, the Cavaliers will play 25 nationally televised games.

The NBA released its 2014-15 schedule on Wednesday. Below is a look at some of the games involving former Orange stars.

Los Angeles Lakers at Phoenix Suns (Oct. 29)
Tyler Ennis will play in his first regular-season game and get a chance to go against Steve Nash and Jeremy Lin. Wes Johnson will be back in purple and gold for the Lakers.

Some of the comments by the OSU fans at the end of the Moyer make you want to laugh. They will be wishing he came to OSU in a few years when he starts tearing it up at SU.

Some of the comments by the OSU fans at the end of the Moyer make you want to laugh. They will be wishing he came to OSU in a few years when he starts tearing it up at SU.

That article is pure rationalization--plain and simple.

And for the record, I really hate Ohio State fans.