Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

15654261-mmmain.jpg

Mike Hopkins on USA Basketball Experience: 'I Get to Be That Fly on the Wall' (PS; Ditota)

A USA Basketball workout had officially ended Tuesday afternoon at the Brooklyn Nets practice facility. Players and head coach Mike Krzyzewski held court with reporters in anticipation of Wednesday's exhibition game vs. the Dominican Republic. The two-hour practice session had dissolved into casual hubs of conversation.

Beneath one basket, though, James Harden and Mike Hopkins ignored the inertia and pressed on. Harden worked on his crossover dribble, his jump shot, his jab step as Hopkins counseled and coerced him. Harden, the prolific Houston Rockets guard, put in for overtime Tuesday afternoon. Hopkins served as his personal training partner.

"He brings the energy, he brings the mojo every single day," Harden said later. "And that makes me want to come out and get better."

images

SU Confirms Agreement of New Multimedia Rights Contract with IMG (PS; Carlson)

The Syracuse University athletic department announced Tuesday that it has signed a new contract with IMG that covers both broadcasting and multimedia rights.

The announcement came via press release, confirming details about the broadcast agreement sent out by e-mail from an IMG College representative to local radio stations earlier in the day.

The press release said that IMG will sell corporate sponsorships and market other assets of the athletic department including certain digital entities, Carrier Dome signage and in-game promotions. It will also continue to manage radio broadcasts and coaches' shows.

The press release said the terms and length of the deal with IMG would not be released.

SU, IMG Reach a New Agreement for Athletic Broadcasting Rights (PS; Carlson)

Sports marketing giant IMG sent an e-mail to local radio stations on Tuesday indicating that the company had reached a new agreement with Syracuse about broadcasting SU athletic events.

The e-mail, sent by Robert Smith, a network manager for IMG College, indicated Syracuse's previous deal with the company had been "restructured/renewed/reworked."

"As you are probably well aware by now, there has been some recent confusion as to the partnership between IMG & Syracuse for future years," Smith wrote. "Fortunately, IMG & Syracuse have restructured/renewed/reworked our agreement & IMG will continue to serve as your home for all Syracuse Orange broadcasts for future seasons!!!"

Hometown Madness Coverage

I-95 War: DC vs Philadelphia (DC Wins Big; PS; Ditota)

Breakdown

This is an intriguing semifinal matchup.

Philadelphia narrowly eliminated New York City, 255-223, in voting last week. Washington, D.C., hammered California, 388-14.

The D.C. team is loaded with scorers in Dave Bing, Lawrence Moten and Sherman Douglas, a point guard who managed to amass 2,060 career points at SU and an all-time SU record of 960 assists.

D.C. has the stalwart Arinze Onuaku to man the middle and Jerami Grant to provide the spectacular slams and all-around hustle.

"We got rid of the West Coast with our athletic ability and talent," said Moten, the D.C. captain. "Now we'll use our smarts and our 2-3 zone. I love my young guns (from Philly), but they only have one scorer. Dion Waiters is the only guy who can make a jump shot."

Former Players

15652759-mmmain.jpg

John Wallace Jr, John Wallace and Joey Wallace

John Wallace's Son Will Play Basketball at Nicholls State (PS; Waters)

John Wallace Jr., the son of the former Syracuse University great, will play basketball for Nicholls State University.

Wallace Jr. spent the last two years at Hillsborough Community College in Tampa, Fla. The 6-foot-2 guard averaged 20 points, five rebounds and five assists per game at Hillsborough last year. Wallace Jr. had scholarship offers from Towson State, Canisius and Ohio University, but he decided recently to attend Nicholls State.

"I'm ecstatic,'' Wallace's father said Tuesday. "He had other offers. He thought about going overseas to play in Austria, but I'm glad that he's going to Nicholls where he'll have a chance to play and get his degree.''

15651528-mmmain.jpg

Demetris Nichols Signs With Pro League in Russia (PS; Waters)

Demetris Nichols will return to Russia this season, but the former Syracuse University forward will be playing for a different team.

Nichols, who played for Russian pro team Krasnye Krilya last season, recently signed with CSKA Moscow, one of the most prominent teams in all of Europe.

Nichols confirmed the signing via text message from Russia. He left Syracuse on Monday to join his new team.

CSKA Moscow has won dozens of Russian championships. The team also competes in the Euroleague. Its most recent titles came in 2006 and 2009.

15646901-mmmain.jpg

Tickets for Carrier Dome Exhibition Between Knick and 76ers Go On Sale Friday (PS; Waters)

Tickets to the NBA preseason game between the New York Knicks and the Philadelphia 76ers on Tuesday, Oct. 14, at the Carrier Dome, will go on sale on this Friday.
Ticket sales will begin at 10 a.m. on Friday. Tickets may be purchased at www.ticketmaster.com, via phone at 888-DOMETIX (option 1), at Ticketmaster outlets or Destiny kiosks, or in person at the Carrier Dome Box Office (hours are 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday).

Ticket prices range from $20 to $200. Parking is $15 and will also be available for advance purchase.

Melo Says the Knicks Will Absolutely Make the Playoffs (PS; Axe)

Carmelo Anthony doesn't think the New York Knicks will win a championshipthis season.

The playoffs? That is a different story.

“Yeah, I think so, for sure. Absolutely," the former Syracuse star told the New York Post.

After going 54-28 and winning the Atlantic Division in 2012-13 — and then losing in the conference semifinals to the Pacers — New York won 37 games last season and missed the playoffs.

Anthony will see a different roster around him when the season gets going to try and make that projected playoff run.

On June 25, the Knicks traded center Tyson Chandler and guard Raymond Felton to Dallas for guards Jose Calderon, Shane Larkin and Wayne Ellington, center Samuel Dalembert and two second-round draft picks in the 2014 NBA draft.

I'll tell you what, Mike Hopkins is getting the education of a lifetime and earning the respect of the biggest names in the game. I really hope he is our next coach.

I'll tell you what, Mike Hopkins is getting the education of a lifetime and earning the respect of the biggest names in the game. I really hope he is our next coach.

He certainly won't have any good excuses for not succeeding once Boeheim hangs em up. The guys education into the game and coaching it and recruiting it is off the charts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom