Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Former Players

jonny-flynn-steph-curryjpg-456c4c81407265ae.jpg

Jonny Flynn Will Play in Italy This Season (PS; Ditota)

Jonny Flynn, the former Syracuse University basketball point guard, has signed with an Italian professional team, according to reports.

Flynn, drafted sixth overall by the Minnesota Timberwolves in 2009, has criss-crossed the globe seeking basketball opportunities since his NBA career faded following hip soreness and subsequent surgery to repair the damaged labrum. He spent about a month last year in lucrative China until injury intervened; this season he will play for Capo d'Orlando. The hip seems to be a constant source of concern for potential pro teams.

You might recognize the Capo d'Orlando name. Brandon Triche's Trento team swept Capo d'Orlando in three games to win the Italian Gold League championship. Triche scored 43 points in the decisive game of the series. He has moved on to represent Rome this season.

Other

Train Plays the NYS Fair and Shows Syracuse Some Love (PS; Baker)

It wasn't Pat Monahan's beautifully piercing voice or Jakob Dylan's soulful lyrics that earned the biggest applause at the NYS Fair grandstand Tuesday night. It was a shirt with a simple two-word refrain: "Beat Duke."

Train front man and middle-aged heartthrob Monahan showed the Syracuse Orange some love several songs into his show when he stripped off a few layers to display the anti-Blue-Devil shirt.

"I had all these shirts on, I've been sweating like crazy," Monahan said after signing the orange T-shirt and tossing it to the crowd. He would spend the remainder of the night in a form-fitting black tee.

-9ba6ca75cf368893.jpg

Night Ranger Drowns Chevy Court in Glorious 1980s Cheese (review; PS; Barbour)

Hair metal may be dead and gone along with bedazzled jean-jackets, New Coke, and the dodo bird, but you wouldn't know it if you were strolling through the New York State Fair this evening.

State fairs and similar events have long been the last bastion of 80s hard rock bands (aside from Japan for some reason), and the thousands of people gathered at Chevy Court tonight were treated to perhaps one of the 80s-est of them all: Night Ranger.

15708698-large.jpg

Kid Reporter Declares RC-48 Roller Coaster to be 'Awesome' (Video; PS; Tulloch)

Our pint-sized reporter, Jonathan D'Agostino, recently tried out the RC-48 roller coaster on the new Wade Shows Midway at the New York State Fair.

D'Agostino is syracuse.com's official ride reviewer, the best job ever for a thrill-seeking 9-year-old with an iron stomach. And he seems to have found his favorite.

The RC-48 maxes out at neck-breaking speeds of 35 mph. Unlike the freely-spinning cars of the Crazy Mouse, the RC-48 has a traditional roller coaster train with three cars and plenty of loops, swerves and hills on its blue track.

Time Warner Cable Down Nationwide (PS; Pucci)

Albany Biz Review @AlbanyBizReview
Follow

FYI - Time Warner Cable is having a nationwide outage. No cable, no internet, no phone. Welcome to your Wednesday!

6:52 AM - 27 Aug 2014

No phone, no lights, no motor cars, not a single luxury. Like Robinson Crusoe, as primitive as can be.

EDIT- I guess it's fixed.

I was wondering why my internet wasn't working this morning so I could get my morning dose of the board.