Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

Looking Back at the 1995-96 SU Basketball Team (sujuiceonline.com; Cheng)

Ah, the 1995-96 Syracuse basketball team. I was in middle school at that time, and still in search of a college team to root for. Being from Long Island, I casually rooted for St. John’s, but I was still mostly a free agent.

I remember the moment when I became a Syracuse fan vividly. It was March 23, 1996, and Syracuse was down 70-68 against Georgia with two seconds to go. I was clearly rooting for the Orangemen because they were a team from New York (they should’ve hired me to create the slogan for the team).

John Wallace (still to this day my favorite player) unleashes a perfect pass to Jason Cipolla on the left baseline, and Cipolla rose and drained a shot while falling into the welcoming arms of Donovan McNabb. “OK, this is going to be my team,” I said, out loud, to no one in particular.

-129a8a5d5b214cc9.jpg

Apple Unveils iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, Mobile Payments and an Apple Watch (PS; Herbert)

Apple met nearly all expectations at a special product launch event Tuesday in Cupertino, California -- and perhaps exceeded some.

CEO Tim Cook announced an iPhone 6 with a larger 4.7-inch display and an even bigger one, the iPhone 6 Plus, with a 5.5-inch display -- a full 1.5 inches bigger than the iPhone 5C and 5S, yet both are Apple's thinnest yet at 6.9 mm and 7.1 mm thick, respectively. Each new iPhone has a faster A8 processor, redesigned horizontal displays, and an improved 8MP iSight camera with optical image stabilization, but "ion strengthened glass" instead of the sapphire glass display many expected.

Apple also added a M8 motion coprocessor -- similar to the Nike+ apps, measuring exercise activities like running, walking, biking and climbing stairs. It's expected to be integrated with the new iOS 8 HealthKit app.

"These are the best phones ever made," Apple's Phil Schiller said. He added that the iPhone 6 Plus has a better battery life than the 5S when using any feature, especially audio or 3G talk.

Last edited:
Syracuse basketball's Demetris Nichols earns contract with Russian team (PS: Waters)

Syracuse, N.Y. -- Former Syracuse University basketball player Demetris Nichols has ended his two-week tryout with Russian professional team CSKA with a contract for the 2014-15.

The website Euroleague.net had reported in mid-August that Nichols had signed with CSKA for a two-week tryout.

Nichols' agent, Bill Neff of Saga Sports, confirmed on Tuesday that Nichols had signed a contract with CSKA for the entire 2014-15 season...

15812395-mmmain.jpg