Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

15724890-mmmain.jpg

Yahoo's Call for Overhaul of USA Basketball, FIBA World Cup is Short-Sighted (PS; Waters)

On Monday, the day after the United States' men's national basketball team captured the FIBA World Cup with a 129-92 win over Serbia, Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports advocated that the NBA should pull its players from future international events.

The World Cup, wrote Wojnarowski, falls "beneath the threshold of worthiness for NBA stars to participate.''

Wojnarowski's argument is basically two-fold. One, NBA players unnecessarily risk physical injury while playing (for free) in international competitions such as the World Cup. And two, NCAA coaches like Duke's Mike Krzyzewski and Syracuse's Jim Boeheim gain too much in terms of recruiting from their involvement in the U.S. men's national team.

Now, I know and respect Wojnarowski very much. I've known him since his time on the University of Connecticut basketball beat. And I've watched his career take off to the point where he's the best NBA reporter. Period. He's the best. Everyone else, like those going up against Larry Bird in a 3-point shooting contest, is just vying for second place.

But on this issue, I disagree with Woj.

Wojnarowski bases the first part of his argument on the horrific injury that Indiana Pacers star Paul George suffered during a nationally-televised scrimmage prior to the team's departure for the World Cup. George sustained a compound fracture in his leg. He expected to miss the entire 2014-15 season.

College Basketball

11952657-mmmain.jpg

Marvin Barnes Won't Soon Be Forgotten (PS; Poliquin)

As the calling hours for Marvin Barnes are set for Wednesday, it seems appropriate to share, again, a couple of my experiences with the man.

He was, of course, a terrific basketball player back in the day … and that "day" would have been during his college years at Providence in the early 1970s and those first few seasons of his professional career in the old ABA.

However, his ability to court trouble was as prodigious as his athletic talent. Thus, the nickname, "Bad News."

Forever, Marvin "Bad News" Barnes.

He's dead now, after meeting an end at the age of 62 last week in Providence that he'd staved off for so long. And so, I was reminded, again, that our paths crossed in San Diego when I was a young NBA beat writer and Marvin was seeking yet another basketball resurrection, this time with the Clippers.

He was a nice enough guy, actually. Crazy, but nice. And always a source of entertainment.

The words, then, still waft …

ACC News

5418b43e6589b.image.jpg

NC State Target Eric Davis Commits to Texas (fayobserver.com; Strelow)

Class of 2015 guard Eric Davis committed to Texas on Tuesday night, putting on an orange Longhorns hat while students created a drum roll by tapping the Arthur Hill High School gym bleachers in Saginaw, Michigan.

N.C. State, UNLV, Michigan State, Michigan, Kentucky and LSU were the other finalists for Davis. Ranked as the No. 45 prospect in the Class of 2015 by At their request, this network is being blocked from this site., he made several unofficial recruiting visits to Raleigh.

Davis was an early priority for the Wolfpack, which offered a scholarship to senior point guard Bryant Crawford of Gonzaga High School in Washington, D.C., earlier this month. The 6-foot-2, 180-pound Crawford averaged 10.2 points as a Gonzaga junior, but a broken hand forced him to miss a large portion of last season, according to The Washington Post, which said he also suffered a broken leg as a freshman.

Other

-f4b6b40514e4ee45.JPG

Former Syracuse China Factory Finding New Life (PS; Moriarty)

Five years after its closing, the former Syracuse China factory is making a comeback as an industrial center.

Cut down in size and re-named Lyndale Commercial Park, the old factory on Court Street is attracting industrial tenants.

A Utica company that bought the old factory on Court Street in 2011 quietly demolished the oldest portions of the plant — the parts built in 1922 and in the early 1940s.

The demolition eliminated 450,000 square feet of the 650,000-square-foot factory. Among the sections no longer there is the factory store, where Syracuse China customers could buy seconds and overstock.

But the demolition left 200,000 square feet of space, built in the late 1960s with 20-foot-high ceilings, for use as manufacturing, warehousing and distribution space.

Gary Cottet, an associate broker and industrial division director for Pyramid Brokerage Co., said nearly 90 percent of the remaining portions of the factory are leased:

River Valley Paper Co., of Akron, Ohio, which reprocesses paper waste into new packaging materials, occupied 104,000 square feet of space in April and has hired an initial workforce of eight people.

Crystal Rock, a seller of water and office supplies, took over 18,000 square feet of space in 2012 and employs 19 people.

DSI Systems, an electronics distributor, is leasing 47,000 square feet of space (though the space is currently available for sub-lease).

-88b0914354de3d2a.jpg

What is Your Favorite Story From Ron Bee's Years on the CNY Airwaves? (PS; Baker)

This morning, Syracuse.com published a story about former CNY radio host Ron Bee and his battle with cancer. The story was shared hundreds of times on social media as people shared their memories from Bee's career -- most notably from his years with Rick Gary as "Rick & Ron" on WOLF.

»CNY radio icon fighting for his life half a country away

As of this afternoon, a GoFundMe page for Bee had raised more than $4,300 from 91 people. At the same time yesterday, the total was just more than $1,700.

Many Central New Yorkers took the opportunity to share memories of Bee's time on the airwaves in Syracuse. Here are some anecdotes from readers. Feel free to add your own in the comments.

From Meg Martin, via email:

Back in the late 70s, my mom and I were in the old Fay's Drug Store in the then Seneca Mall in Liverpool, NY and apparently Rick and Ron were operating a show out of there we were unaware of. I was walking down an aisle when they approached me asking if I wanted some Fruit Stripe Gum and I screamed to my mom that I was being followed and they explained to me who they were-you know, you don't know what a radio personality looks like as you listen to them--we did all laugh and they kept apologizing over and over. We laugh at it now.

Then, years later, there was a WOLF contest where you could win a ride to school in the WOLF VAN and my friends and I won-it was awesome! I know I'm not alone with winning! He and Rick Gary WERE radio then!

Syracuse basketball unlikely to know Dajuan Coleman's status until at least November (PS: Carlson)

Syracuse, N.Y. — Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim said the Orange likely won't have any idea if Dajuan Coleman can play this season until the team is set to begin its preseason games. Even that late date represents the best-case scenario for the junior from Jamesville-Dewitt High School.

Boeheim, who addressed the media after returning from winning a gold medal as an assistant coach with USA Basketball at the FIBA World Cup, said if things go well with Coleman's rehabilitation from knee surgery it will still take until November for the Orange to gauge his ability to contribute...

15869687-mmmain.jpg